Are ports in Alaska walkable?

agennis

We are considering a 10 night Alaska itinerary on NCL because it includes more ports and the port stops are fairly long. While we may do an excursion in dome ports, we really like to explore the ports on our own. We know nothing about Alaska, except we would like to go.....so, all you experienced Alaska cruisers, are the ports generally walkable? Thanks in advance!!!:)

All of the main Alaska ports your ship will dock downtown or very close. Each port has many things to see/do at minimal cost and within walking distance if that is what you want. Also there will be vendor booths set up on or near the pier offering tours at a lower cost than thru your cruise line

My suggestion is find out what you really want to see and splurge a little as you've come a long way. Each port has many fantastic things that are outside the town itself and you really should experience the wilderness. No matter if it is the train ride in Skagway, whale watching in Juneau, Flightseeing in Ketchican or whatever you choose take advantage of being there and explore the wilderness a little.

They're all walkable, some more so than others. And if you like to hike, there are trails you can get to from every port, most of them fantastic. I'm a budget traveler and it's my favorite way to get out in the wilderness on Alaska cruises. Wear layers and good shoes and rain gear, and you'll love it. Some of my favorites: Deer Mountain in Ketchikan, Perseverance Trail out of Juneau, Portage Glacier in Whittier, Exit Glacier in Seward, Totem Park in Sitka (not a hike, but a beautiful walk), Lower Dewey Lake in Skagway (and the easy, family-friendly trail to Yakutania Point)

Yes, they are walkable. You didn't post your itinerary so I'm not sure which ports your going to. But I can tell you from past experience that Ketchikan and Skagway are very enjoyable places for a walk around town.

You might enjoy seeing the pictures my wife took and made into slide shows for her website at the link below.

Ketchikan ~ Walk Around Town

Skagway - the first part of this slide show is a walk around town.

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Please post your cruise - is it a one way with some extra days in Anchorage or the special start of the season 10 day on the Pearl with stops in Icy Point Strait and Sitka in addition to the regular ports. If this is the trip you are looking at your ship sails this week and this week only.

As to you question about walking in the ports the answer is yes the port towns in AK are quite walkable - but most of the things to do there are outside of the towns - that said in most ports there are public transportation, rental cars and other ways to see the sights other than on excursions.

You can learn more about the AK ports at www.cruiseportinsider.com

We are considering a 10 night Alaska itinerary on NCL because it includes more ports and the port stops are fairly long. While we may do an excursion in dome ports, we really like to explore the ports on our own. We know nothing about Alaska, except we would like to go.....so, all you experienced Alaska cruisers, are the ports generally walkable? Thanks in advance!!!:)

They are definitely walkable. You need to do some research on AK ports. I am sure that there are lots of books on AK in your local library.

DON

Another perspective- a lot of "Alaska" is outside the ports. So I suggest, finding out about each port and determine your interests. Each port is very different, and worthwhile from the others. Head to your library for some Alaska travel books.

In Juneau on our first cruise to Alaska, we walked to the State Capitol for a free tour then enjoyed the exhibits at the nearby State Museum. This was after taking the bus to see Mendenhall Glacier. It was a drizzly day, so we did not hike closer to the glacier as I originally had planned.

We are looking at a 10 day itinerary on NCL Jewel next September. It us sailing from Seattle and will return to Vancouver on the last run before the repo. We are particularly interested in it because of the long port times and a couple extra stops when compared to a seven day trip. Agree that this will be a once in a lifetime trip and will definitely take the suggestions to read up and decide which ports we will venture further in. Thanks for all the info, looking forward to your helpful tips.

That does look like a nice trip - very similar to what the Pearl is doing on Thursday in reverse. The only port missed would be Haines - plus it goes to Glacier Bay. The only problem with these late season trips is that you run out of daylight much sooner than the ones in May, June or July. You are also going to be at sea all day on the second Sun on the run from Sitka to Victoria - that will all be in open ocean and you could run into early winter storms and rough seas. - or not.