Norwegian vs other lines

brownie9

Looking at booking a Europe cruise with Norwegian. Have sailed with Carnival, Princess,HAL and Royal Caribbean in the past. Is there anything I should know before booking with Norwegian? How is it different? Why is it less expensive? Will there be some things I had in the past that I will miss ( or not have) with Norwegian. This is a long cruise and I don't want to be stuck and unhappy...

HELP

Brownie9

No set dining times, no assigned tables and tablemates.

Is the ship going to ports you want to go to?

For a European cruise the ship has little weight in the decision, the itinerary is number one. You are going to be exhausted and worn out with a port intensive cruise, just be sure its where you want to visit.

Thanks,

If the anytime dining is the only thing, not problem then. We have done this in the past on Princess. I do prefer getting to know my own personal waiter, I can handle the anytime dining.

Brownie9

Thanks,

If the anytime dining is the only thing, not problem then. We have done this in the past on Princess. I do prefer getting to know my own personal waiter, I can handle the anytime dining.

Brownie9

you won't have the same waiter each night. They move around the ship just like you do.

you won't have the same waiter each night. They move around the ship just like you do.

If you eat at the same venue each night, you can ask for the same waiter. We did this on the Dawn this past Jan/Feb and also on the Pearl last Jan/ Feb. We loved our wait staff. When we sail Carnival (anytime dining), by night #2, we know who we like and always ask for them.

Last time I sailed Princess there was still a "formal night" with those who didn't want to dress up relegated to the buffet, even if they were in the dining room reserved for "anytime dining". No jacket, no service.

The NCL Freestyle concept does not have formal nights (an optional "dress up or not" night is declared). If it is important to you to see everyone on the ship dressed formally one or two nights during the cruise, then you will miss it on NCL. Very few get dressed up.

I hate having to bring a suit on vacation, but we have friends who absolutely love formal nights and won't cruise NCL because of it. I have almost the opposite reaction, and prefer NCL's approach.

I've cruised most of the lines you have mentioned on just did a NCL last year out of Rome. It was great. Planing to go again this year.

NCL is freestyle! I think this means more in Europe than here in the states. You will be grateful for the freestyle concept. Heres why.

Packing light with no formal attire for fancy dinners. I love formal dining, but Europe is exhausting. Not just physically, but mentally as well. It's way over stimulating. You'll be glad you're not hauling luggage just to get to port. And you'll be glad you don't have to dress up just to eat.

Anytime dinning or specialty restaurants. Sometimes you might not want to eat at the assigned time. You can nap or see a show and then have dinner. Let your feet and stomach tell you what to do.

Options! You need unscheduled time on board. After tours and walking on cobble stone streets. Rushing to see things all day. And being overwhelmed by all of the stimulation of European cities its nice to get onboard and not have a thing planned. It's like Whew! I made it back onboard and now I don't have to think again until tomorrow when I get to another city I have no clue about. LOL.

My take on price is because most of the European cruises are longer and they keep the prices lower to fill the ships. Im not sure. But I will say that NCL will not be a sacrifice for you at all. Book it and enjoy.

Happy cruising!

Thanks,

Brownie9

I you have a waiter you like, you can always ask to be seated at their table. George, my favorite on the Sun, was mainly in one MDR. If he was not there the hostess would tell us where he was working or when he was due to come in. The same waiter, can be done. :)

We have cruised several times on NCL as well as some of the other lines mentioned. We like NCL for the itineraries, we like HAL for the elegance and tradition, we have also sailed many times on Celebrity which you did not mention and like them for the dining and entertainment quality. Each company is unique and has a distinct personality. My personal preference is HAL which I believe is somewhat upscale from NCL. certainly the quality of furniture in the staterooms, the bathrooms, and especially the service on HAL is first class. Celebrity is another upscale line. Still, we have enjoyed our trips on NCL and have no complaints whatsoever.

No dancing waiters!:)

Like - means my food does not get cold and spilled on the floor (sorry I meant deck):rolleyes:

Waiters wait - dancers dance - ne'er the twain shall meet (except maybe for the crew show).