A Whale stuck to the Breakaway?

they ARE mentioned together in the same article, and the Breakaway was in the channel, so it would lead one to believe that it's linked *shrug* NCL didn't comment though

Dead Whale Impaled on Luxury Liner, Officials Say

By Janon Fisher and Aidan G

BROOKLYN — A whale found dead in New York Harbor Monday morning is believed to have been impaled on the bow of a luxury cruise ship over the weekend, authorities said.

The Norwegian Breakaway, a 1,068-foot luxury liner, was stranded for several hours on Sunday and had to be towed to Pier 88 due to propeller problems, according to a New York Post report.

A cruise line spokeswoman did not respond to a request of comment.

Related ItemsNew York HarborBrooklyn Bridge ParkPier 4NYPDRiverhead Foundation

We hit a whale on the way back from the Bahamas years ago on the Dawn (I think Nov 2003) There was no doubt in anyone's mind that we hit something. They later announced it was a whale. True story - not a tale.

Of course it's common, don't be ridiculous. If you'd read the article, you'd have seen "It's more common than not to see this in New York Harbor," the center's founding director Robert Schoelkopf said. The shipping channels intersect with the migration paths of larger whales, who are chasing herring and mackerel moving up the Eastern seaboard."

Plus, here's research that states approx 33% of whale deaths involve getting struck by a vessel: http://uk.whales.org/sites/default/files/whales-and-ship-strikes.pdf

If you're angry that your vacation of choice has a potentially negative impact on the environment, perhaps you should do more research next time.

This is actually funny. "It's more common than not to see this in New York harbor" implies that more ships come in with whale carcasses attached to them than ships that don't. I would like to see the statistics on that. The person quoted is enthusiastic about protecting whales and either did not offer or was not asked to offer any factual support for his statement. I would have believed him if statement had been supported with facts, or if he had simply said what I imagine he meant: "This is more common than most people would expect."

Here's a bit more info. Yes, they think it might have been the BA, but there's not really any way to confirm. I'm sure they're still running a full check of the ship.

I thought it was the side thrusters that had the issue, which are used for maneuvering. If a whale was somehow blocking the bow thrusters it would make docking very difficult, even with the ship's ability to rotate her azipods (which are mounted aft)

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Stuck-Cruise-Ship-Dead-Whale-New-York-Harbor-258116581.html

This is actually funny. "It's more common than not to see this in New York harbor" implies that more ships come in with whale carcasses attached to them than ships that don't. I would like to see the statistics on that. The person quoted is enthusiastic about protecting whales and either did not offer or was not asked to offer any factual support for his statement. I would have believed him if statement had been supported with facts, or if he had simply said what I imagine he meant: "This is more common than most people would expect."

I think that sentence implied that it is more likely to happen in New York Harbor than in anyplace else. (i.e. - If you see a picture of a whale struck by a boat, it is more likely than not that the boat is in NY Harbor). The sentence was just poorly crafted and ambiguous.

Let this be a reminder to folks that come on here and ask about making tight flight connections, etc. Give yourself time, folks. All kinds of things can cause delays, even whales.

The "outrage" that some expressed due to the delay is misguided, and quite frankly just stupid. Maybe NCL could have handle the crowd better, but that one guy on the news that ranted about NCL and the ship and that he'd never sail on it again just makes him look like a moron. The quote from the lady saying she cried because she missed her limo makes her look even worse (most won't realize she was upset due to missing her flight, which is understandable)

Edited by sdmike

I recently sailed on the Breakaway and hoped to see a whale while at sea. This news is so upsetting.:mad::mad::mad:

btw, this is not a common event. The ship's sonar should have picked up biologicals in the area long before the accident occurred.

THe what could have already been dead, we don't know that yet. They do did just like people and your right this does happen, I remember one about 10 years ago in ALaska.

Let this be a reminder to folks that come on here and ask about making tight flight connections, etc. Give yourself time, folks. All kinds of things can cause delays, even whales.

The "outrage" that some expressed due to the delay is misguided, and quite frankly just stupid. Maybe NCL could have handle the crowd better, but that one guy on the news that ranted about NCL and the ship and that he'd never sail on it again just makes him look like a moron. The quote from the lady saying she cried because she missed her limo makes her look even worse (most won't realize she was upset due to missing her flight, which is understandable)

Agree, no matter what we do whether its traveling on vacation or driving on the highway there are always bumps in the road (or the sea) People who are so sensitive and can't punt should stay home.

If she has travel insurance she will be reimbursed for cost of hotels and flight changes. If she misses a day at work and is docked well I would submit that as well. Things travelers don't even think of are fully covered sometimes

Of course the merits of travel insurance is another thread! Lol

Edited by Crusin6

THe what could have already been dead, we don't know that yet. They do did just like people and your right this does happen, I remember one about 10 years ago in ALaska.

You sorta lost me there. :confused:

Me too, but let me try to translate...

The whale could have been dead when it was struck by the ship. We do not know since we have no status on the condition of or injuries sustained by the whale. Whales die just like people. It does happen. Something happened 10 years ago in Alaska.

:confused:

I guess I'm not following why some people in this thread are so upset about the dead whale to the point where they are using the red angry face. Because of the thought of the Breakaway running into and killing a whale? Perhaps the whale was already dead. It happens. Whales die just like every other living organism. Perhaps the whale swam into the path of the ship and the captain couldn't do anything about it. Just like when a deer jumps across a road and is hit by a car whose driver couldn't stop. Do you blame the driver for killing the deer when there was nothing he could have done to prevent the situation?

I recently recall reading a story about two dead whales washing up on the shores of small villages in Newfoundland. They are huge, and they are decomposing. The gases inside are building up and they are bulging from the inside. The villagers are seriously worried that the whales are going to explode. Not sure what the solution is in this situation. The Canadian government says it's the villages' responsibility to dispose of these whales at their own expense.

This has happened in our home port of Saint John N.B.. A cruise ship came in to dock and had a whale on the front of it. The Bay of Fundy is has a lot of whales but that was the first I have ever seen it. They had to delay letting passengers of until the divers were able to get the whale off.

We had a similar situation a few years ago on an Alaskan cruise, a Humpback whale, already dead, was attached to the bow. They had to remove it and tow it into Juneau for an investigation. It was already decomposing when it attached to the ship.

the local news is reporting that the necropsy report shows broken bones etc on the whale in NY Harbor. probably caused by a cruise ship strike and possibly the Breakaway. It was supposedly still alive when it was found on late Sunday/Monday....

No. Dead whales are common. Duh.

What's cool is how that caused the issue with the ship docking. Sorry, but I find it interesting. Didn't mean to interrupt your mourning of the whale.

Well, I definitely mourn the whale but I agree it IS cool that "our" cruise ship was involved...

You'd think someone on that cruise, with all the multitudinous comments made about the delay, would have noticed a "bump"....

Or do you think the ship is so large it was not noticeable?