FOS Family Promenade alternative?

My husband and I are taking our son on his first cruise in April '16.

We want to avoid a balcony stateroom because a curious little boy (7 at cruise time) and ocean water just don't mix.

I was very happy to see a YouTube video of a family promenade stateroom but was very sad to learn that the minimum family size was 5! I realize getting a larger family together in one room is difficult at best...but what about the rest of us! The bunk beds, the closet, the tub! LOL.

I was also a bit miffed when I found out the price for that room would have only been $25 more than a large Ocean View room. :mad:

Can anyone recommend an alternative? Are there any "larger than usual" oceanview rooms for families of three?

I appreciate your help!

We want to avoid a balcony stateroom because a curious little boy (7 at cruise time) and ocean water just don't mix.

I was very happy to see a YouTube video of a family promenade stateroom but was very sad to learn that the minimum family size was 5! I realize getting a larger family together in one room is difficult at best...but what about the rest of us! The bunk beds, the closet, the tub! LOL.

I was also a bit miffed when I found out the price for that room would have only been $25 more than a large Ocean View room. :mad:

Can anyone recommend an alternative? Are there any "larger than usual" oceanview rooms for families of three?

I appreciate your help!

I am new to cruising RCCL but we have a family of 5 and we are forced onto balcony rooms on Disney because their family rooms all have a balcony on their older ships. (The new ships have family oceanviews). I will say I was extremely nervous because we have a 2 year old that is NUTS. He climbs up the outside of our staircase, jumps off of anything he can get on. We were very nervous but we found that the balcony wasn't that big of an issue. It is impossible for kids to open the door on Disney. I would hope it is the same for RCCL. We had a 10yo that couldn't open up the door. When we were out there we were on 'guard' and never let the kids out there by themselves. Plus I have heard of people having the furniture removed and then that makes it impossible to scale the railing.

I know this isn't what you asked for but I am curious to know if RCCL has the same kind of locks on their balconies. You'll make the right decision for your family if that includes no balcony I just wanted to give you a little peace of mind if you do have to book a balcony to get a bigger room. I do think that the only thing that I would love in that family stateroom is that it has a tub. I think you have to go all the way to Junior Suite to get that if you can't book the family room.

Edited by ummgood

I appreciate your help!

There are a standard ocean view staterooms (159 sq. ft.) with Pullman beds that your son can use as well as larger ocean view staterooms (175 sq. ft.) in the front of the ship with fold out couch bed that would work for him as well.

When our children were younger we often had them in our stateroom with us and (although we were in balcony staterooms which are larger) we found the space adequate for us.

As there would just be the three of you they should be large enough - they are typically intended for families and will hold up to four.

The larger family staterooms which can hold up to six as you indicate do require a minimum - typically four. But as indicated they occasionally will open them up for less passengers.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I know this isn't what you asked for but I am curious to know if RCCL has the same kind of locks on their balconies.

I do think that the only thing that I would love in that family stateroom is that it has a tub. I think you have to go all the way to Junior Suite to get that if you can't book the family room.

There are locks at the top inside rail of the balcony slider doors that will prevent the door from being opened by the normal door handle if that is unlocked. A child would first have to know that it is there and then access it by climbing on a chair to reach it and be able determine how to unlock it.

We have never stayed in the Promenade Family Stateroom but our experience with RCI FOV staterooms is they do not have a tub - just a shower. A tub is provided with the Royal Family Suites, Junior Suites and higher.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We have never stayed in the Promenade Family Stateroom but our experience with RCI FOV staterooms is they do not have a tub - just a shower. A tub is provided with the Royal Family Suites, Junior Suites and higher.

We stayed in the Family Promenade stateroom, and can confirm there is a tub. YouTube video is

I have some small pix of the Family Promenade room HERE

To the OP - As others have mentioned you can book 2 connecting staterooms, however that means someone will need to pay a single supplement. If that is OK, Freedom does have a connecting Balcony / inside combo, which might work for you. We were initially booked there before we switched to the FP.

We stayed in the Family Promenade stateroom, and can confirm there is a tub. YouTube video is

I have some small pix of the Family Promenade room HERE

To the OP - As others have mentioned you can book 2 connecting staterooms, however that means someone will need to pay a single supplement. If that is OK, Freedom does have a connecting Balcony / inside combo, which might work for you. We were initially booked there before we switched to the FP.

So there are balcony rooms on FOS that connect to inside rooms? We had thought about getting an inside and a balcony but I assumed the inside would have to be across the hall. Do you know which deck(s) these would be on?

So there are balcony rooms on FOS that connect to inside rooms? We had thought about getting an inside and a balcony but I assumed the inside would have to be across the hall. Do you know which deck(s) these would be on?

Deck 9 has some for example. Stateroom 9696 connecting to 9701.

EDIT: Turns out there are two sets of those rooms. The ones I mentioned and the ones on the other side of the ship. Those are the only ones I found.

Edited by ummgood

Deck 9 has some for example. Stateroom 9696 connecting to 9701.

EDIT: Turns out there are two sets of those rooms. The ones I mentioned and the ones on the other side of the ship. Those are the only ones I found.

Correct, there are 2 sets of rooms on Deck 9 and that's it! Only the Freedom class has this option.

Correct, there are 2 sets of rooms on Deck 9 and that's it! Only the Freedom class has this option.

Interesting! We are already on Deck 9 I will definitely check into this. Thanks for the info

I appreciate your help!

On Quantum class, there is the category F Superior Oceanview Stateroom, which is 302 sq ft. The description says "Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King, measuring 72.5 inches wide by 82 inches long, full bathroom and sitting area with sofa. Alcove with large forward-view panoramic window with seat and lounge chair."