Aqua Class...try MDR?

frawnsay

It's our first cruise, and we're in AQ. Hearing all sorts of wonderful things about Blu, but...

Should we try the MDR? I'm wondering if just for the typical cruise experience???

What would YOU do?

It's our first cruise, and we're in AQ. Hearing all sorts of wonderful things about Blu, but...

Should we try the MDR? I'm wondering if just for the typical cruise experience???

What would YOU do?

We tried MDR only once during the week and quickly resolved to stay in Blu.

We thought the food quality, service and atmosphere were all superior in Blu.

Just back from the Summit where we had Aqua Class

Tried the MDR one evening when the menu for Blu did not have something we both liked

Was pleasantly surprised in the MDR with the food presentation and service

Though larger and louder in noise level than Blu, the experience was a pleasant surprise

You can check the menus posted outside the restaurants (around noon each day) and you may find one day the MDR menu appeals to you or the Blu menu doesn't. I'd try the MDR once so you can experience the difference.

Part of the MDR experience at least with traditional dining is getting to know the tablemates over the course of the cruise. You wouldn't get the full experience by going one night but that shouldn't stop you from trying it.

What would YOU do?

There probably will be night(s) when the MDR menu will appeal to you more than Blu's. Don't fall prey to the "I paid for Blu and I'm only going to eat there" mentality. Also, most of the time on the first night of the cruise, Aqua class cruisers can get a 2 for 1 in the specialty restaurants. Well worth it.

We had Aqua as well and decided to try the MDR one night. It was a bit loud and I don't think we were ever asked if we wanted drinks. Although the food was okay, it lacked the service and little details you get in Blu...in my opinion anyway. But try it...you might enjoy it!

We tried MDR only once during the week and quickly resolved to stay in Blu.

We thought the food quality, service and atmosphere were all superior in Blu.

Ditto. I don't think I would book a non AQ cabin again.

So how does one go about dining in the MDR when Blu is the assignment? Do we just show up like in ANYTIME?

The "protocol" is to ask the maitre d' in blu how you should do it....you can ask the first night and usually he will say just go to select. However, on some cruises, select is really jammed, so he'll ask that you let him arrange for you to join early or late seating. It varies.

Edited by ghstudio

Hmmm...I think that we will go the Maitre'd route.

The "protocol" is to ask the maitre d' in blu how you should do it....you can ask the first night and usually he will say just go to select. However, on some cruises, select is really jammed, so he'll ask that you let him arrange for you to join early or late seating. It varies.

FYI...always nice to let BLU know the evening you will be dining in the MDR so they may accommodate the wait list for Blu. :)

Of course, we would let the M'd know our plans. Same goes if we plan to go to a Specialty Restaurant. ;)

We were on the Infinity last year. We ate in the MDR the first few nights and were so disappointed that we ate only in Blu & the specialty restaurants the rest of the trip.

This year, we would only book Aqua class or higher because of the MDR quality.

Everyone's food tastes are different, and we do consider ourselves foodies... but we'd recommend staying far away.

WE did love the group of folks we were seated with, so we'd always go join them for a drink while they finished their dinner / desserts. We're not fast eaters, but the service for the table in the MDR was very, very slow.

We booked AC on the Solstice and were so looking forward to the Blu dining experience. My wife loved it, but after dinner the first night I had to go to the buffet and get something to eat. I much prefer the MDR unadventurous menu. Plus, we both like to dine with 4-6 other passengers and that did not appear to be offered in the Blu.

We will never do aqua again unless we can swap to mar so it seems it's everyone to themselves.

We had terrible service and cold food in blu so we moved and were much happier

If you had terrible service and cold food, did you say something to the maitre d'. Any time we have had a problem (anywhere on the ship), we have brought it to the attention of whoever is in charge of the area and the problem has been resolved.

I admit to being a bit shocked that your food was cold...something was very wrong there and that should have been fixed immediately.

We booked AC on the Solstice and were so looking forward to the Blu dining experience. My wife loved it, but after dinner the first night I had to go to the buffet and get something to eat. I much prefer the MDR unadventurous menu. Plus, we both like to dine with 4-6 other passengers and that did not appear to be offered in the Blu.

yes, unlike the MDR tables and select dining, the maitre d' seats you as you arrive...if with friends or quick acquaintences you meet standing waiting to be seated, they'll seat you together if you like. I have not been to a restaurant locally recently where they offered to seat me with others. I would be horrified :)

In March we were on Equinox and had friends in Blu. They were offered the MDR menu in Blu! That has not been my experience in the past, maybe it is something new. :D

The recent Equinox review (excellent by the way) shared that same experience where they were able to order some things off MDR menu. I'll be in AQ in December on Equinox so will see whether this is the case. I would love to get the escargot every night in Blu!! ;)

My husband and I are booked in Aqua on Solstice in a couple of weeks and we are too interested to dine in MDR for a couple of nights as we love the food there. This will be our first time in Aqua. If we eat in MDR... how do the gratuities work? Do we need to tip the servers in MDR or will we be charged for extra gratutities if we eat in MDR instead of BLU?

We just got off a 28 day BTB cruise on the Solstice and we had Aqua class. Yes you can eat in the MDR at any meal and you don't have to ask the Maître D. On sea days the MDR is open for lunch so you might want to check it out at that meal.

The MDR has items served every evening. Among them are appetizers escargot, shrimp cocktail and French onion soup. These are not on the Blu menu but can be ordered at any evening meal. My wife had the escargot almost every night. Also at breakfast in Blu you can order Eggs Benedict which is not on the menu. Blu serves fresh squeezed orange juice while the MDR does not.

We were never served cold food. Not all waiters are created equal. We found Cetut a waiter we had back in 2008 on the Infinity and he was excellent. We asked for him every night. When he left the ship in Honolulu we asked for Sydney or Rosebud both excellent also.

The problem with Celebrity food is what you see listed on the menu and think you are going to get may be completely different from what actually shows up on your plate. Case in point I love pesto and make it myself. One night they had spaghetti with lamb meatballs with basil pesto listed on the menu. When the plate arrived it had red marinara sauce, not pesto. I called our waiter over and asked him to bring the maître'd over and told him about it. He then brought out the head Blu chef. He tried to tell me it was pesto sauce. When I told him pesto is green not red and I know how to make it and ran off the ingredients in pesto he then said a small amount was on the side which also was not true. Their idea of strawberry shortcake and key lime pie are nothing I have ever had in any restaurant in the USA.

However Blu was worth the Aqua upgrade for us.