Skagway ?

Doerthoch

You might enjoy walking around town. Skagway is a very nice little town to just walk around and window shop. The last time we were there, we caught the blue bus at the cruise ship port. We paid a small amount for round trip fare. The driver stamped the backs of our hands and said we could get back on and go to the ship whenever we were ready.

So we got off at the stop by the small museum (don't remember the name, sorry) walked around in the museum, did some souvenir shopping, and took the bus back to the ship. We ate lunch, then went on a shore excursion bus tour. I think it was called To The Summit. Very enjoyable with lots of photo stops.

Happy sailing!

We’ve been the WP train out of Skagway and I thought it was rather boring after about an hour. Last year took a private tour with Dyea Dave tours, one of the best tours I’ve taken in Skagway, worth every penny of the price.

The historic walking tour is free. So is the gold rush museum and the film there.

Also consider walking/hiking the short distance to Yakutania Point. Very pretty walk, not strenuous. If you're more serious about hiking, you could do the Lower Dewey Lake trail in 4 hours easily. It's very pretty.

The historic walking tour is free. So is the gold rush museum and the film there.

This is referring to the Park Service Visitor Center, located between 1st and 2nd on Broadway. At the old train depot.

The walking tours do "sell" out early, so you do need to sign up early. They run hourly 9a-3p and are different depending on the ranger running the tour. http://www.nps.gov/klgo

Edited by Budget Queen

We’ve been the WP train out of Skagway and I thought it was rather boring after about an hour. Last year took a private tour with Dyea Dave tours, one of the best tours I’ve taken in Skagway, worth every penny of the price.

I second this tour company. My first tour, 4 years ago, took me to the summit and into Canada. I wiill be doing a second tour with them to the town of Dyea. And you pay them AFTER the tour, if you like them. Now that is personalized service.

I stay away from the railroad station. Can you imagine 4 cruise ships in town and everyone trying to get on the train?