Cooking classes worth it?

DaisyUK

Looking at the cookery classes available on our cruise, I see that they last only an hour. Anybody think this is worthwhile? Is an hour enough to learn much?

If you do think the classes worthwhile, which are the best ones? And which dishes are included on the 'Red Ginger' class?

Yes, it is worth it! We watched the chef prepare a couple of examples, then we cooked them....and ate them, then back to watch the chef prepare more food, then we cooked those...and ate them.....then back for a third round......we were stuffed at the end!

At the end of the course we also received a booklet of recipes from Red Ginger, including the six or so that we'd cooked during the demonstration.

Book it!

We were there for way longer than an hour.

Yes, it is worth it! We watched the chef prepare a couple of examples, then we cooked them....and ate them, then back to watch the chef prepare more food, then we cooked those...and ate them.....then back for a third round......we were stuffed at the end!

At the end of the course we also received a booklet of recipes from Red Ginger, including the six or so that we'd cooked during the demonstration.

Book it!

We were there for way longer than an hour.

Brilliant! Thank you... that's what I was hoping to hear. Did you just do the Red Ginger one or are there others you would recommend?

We just got off the Riviera transatlantic where there were plenty of glorious sea days and time for lectures and the culinary classes. Although I tried to book Mastering Fish ahead of time, it was filled up but I asked our butler to get us on a waiting list should there be an opening. Apparently there were others waiting, too, as they opened up another class. I love fish but have been intimidated with the idea of cooking it myself. This hour and a half class was very hands on. Instruction and two people at each work station. I learned a lot and came home with Chef Kelly's fish recipe booklet. I cooked some mangrove snapper the other night and my husband said "best $69 you ever spent!"

I second the responses so far. We did both the Crepes class and the Red Ginger class on our Riviera cruise this spring. We LOVED them both. We are both pretty experienced in the kitchen, and still got a lot out of the classes. We've made several of the recipes since coming home.

The class itself is so well-executed - I've been to a lot of cooking classes on land, and many times you only get to make a portion of the meal, have to work in groups, etc. On Oceania, you work with your partner to make ALL the dishes, at your own fully-stocked station with ingredients pre-prepped and laid out for you by the staff.

We are booked on a Regatta cruise next and are a little bummed that there's no culinary center. Definitely do at least one, I don't think you'll regret it.

Really all the classes are worth it. However we like the later class, to early for the morning-plus if you have a time change it's really a bit early. You really do learn something, but more important to us it was really a fun hour.

Rick

Thank you all for the helpful and positive responses. We both love cooking, and so have booked 4 of them - the Red Ginger recipes, Pasta, French Bistro and Mediterranean. Will report back after our cruise...

What hours are these usually offered? From the initial response, it sounds like there's enough food to substitute for a meal, so timing would be important.

I thought it depended on the class. I took three on the Caribbean cruise in 2013. Each class lasted at least 2 hours. I found one to be really interesting and the other two to be "ho hum". Also I did not much care for the teacher (was not Chef Kelly) although I have to say I was grateful to her for getting me the recipe to make Old Bay seasoning... we cannot buy that here.

All that said I shall certainly take a couple of classes on our TA next april. I love to cook and to learn!

On my cruise they started at 4pm and ended at 6pm (but all ran over). I was sorry to miss the tea in Horizons so went to the Executive Lounge instead... not he same though.

Edited by Hambagahle

What hours are these usually offered? From the initial response, it sounds like there's enough food to substitute for a meal, so timing would be important.

Each of the 4 we have booked are at 4pm - not ideal from a dining point of view, but I guess they are at this time so as not to interfere with excursions.

We will have to apply large amounts of self control and not eat more than the merest forkful so as not to ruin dinner!

Some are on sea days and some are not. You can sign up online after you have made final payment (no idea if you could do it before paying). You have to pay by credit card when you sign up. On my FP cruise, many of the classes (and all the most popular ones) filled up before the cruise started but maybe there are cancellations sometimes.

I took Pasta and Red Ginger and I have only one suggestion. Especially if you take the Red Ginger class in the afternoon, if you also do a specialty restaurant that night, make your reservation later then you might otherwise want to eat. The Red Ginger portions were on the large side and there were extra things (like the sea bass) offered. These classes are more demo than hands on but we all did some cooking and prep work.

Edited by tvmovielover

We are booked on our first Oceania cruise and there are no sea days. Will they still have the cooking classes? Do you sign up ahead of time or when you board?

Our cruise in August has no sea days either, but there are 5 cooking classes. We signed up today, just to be sure..

I took Pasta and Red Ginger and I have only one suggestion. Especially if you take the Red Ginger class in the afternoon, if you also do a specialty restaurant that night, make your reservation later then you might otherwise want to eat. The Red Ginger portions were on the large side and there were extra things (like the sea bass) offered.

Thanks for the tip!

Just back from a TA, with LOTS of Sea days. DW insisted we do a cooking class and I reluctantly agreed. We signed up in advance of cruise for Friends for Brunch, and it was a BLAST....Probably two hours or so 4-6pm, we made scones from scratch, fritattas, and homemade cinnamon rolls, sampling the finished product as each was completed. Closed out the session with a champagne/lemoncello mix that was great!! Highly recommend the classes, wish we'd signed up for more....Walked out with a smile on our faces and FULL. Would suggest one not schedule a 6:30 pm seating at Polo following..... we found this one night to be perfect for a later evening selective "grazing" at Terrace.:eek:

Just back from a TA, with LOTS of Sea days. DW insisted we do a cooking class and I reluctantly agreed. We signed up in advance of cruise for Friends for Brunch, and it was a BLAST....Probably two hours or so 4-6pm, we made scones from scratch, fritattas, and homemade cinnamon rolls, sampling the finished product as each was completed. Closed out the session with a champagne/lemoncello mix that was great!! Highly recommend the classes, wish we'd signed up for more....Walked out with a smile on our faces and FULL. Would suggest one not schedule a 6:30 pm seating at Polo following..... we found this one night to be perfect for a later evening selective "grazing" at Terrace.:eek:

Oh, don't you love those sea days. Still looking for itineraries with lots of them. Anyway, glad you mentioned not to take afternoon class before a Polo or Jacques dinner! Just graze at the Terrace that night. And what a pleasant surprise the Terrace is for dinners!

• 3 weeks later...
When do cooking lessons typically become available for booking? I haven't seen anything for our cruise that departs November 4.:confused:

If you click on 'Already Booked' and log in, you will see your cruise details listed, and you will see the option to book cookery classes. They can be booked at any time, and you pay for them at the time of booking.

If you click on 'Already Booked' and log in, you will see your cruise details listed, and you will see the option to book cookery classes. They can be booked at any time, and you pay for them at the time of booking.

Oooh look at you...giving advice already....excellent:D:D ( this is a light-hearted comment,please don't take offence.;))

Edited by turnip eater