Cooking classes worth it?

DaisyUK

Oooh look at you...giving advice already....excellent:D:D ( this is a light-hearted comment,please don't take offence.;))

Hehe- hey, this is nothing. Wait until I have taken my first Oceania cruise; there'll be no stopping me!!

If you click on 'Already Booked' and log in, you will see your cruise details listed, and you will see the option to book cookery classes. They can be booked at any time, and you pay for them at the time of booking.

Well, I've already done that (and I'm paid in full), and the message simply says culinary classes "are unavailable at this time," which leads me to believe they have not yet been set. So my question is, how long ahead of a cruise are the classes generally assigned?

Daisy, I'm sorry if I've missed this, but when is your cruise? I'm worried that you may explode with excitement if it's not soon.:D

Not until 5th August... now that I've booked excursions and made dining reservations and cookery classes, I'm just going to have to twiddle my thumbs - and shop - until then:)

Well, I've already done that (and I'm paid in full), and the message simply says culinary classes "are unavailable at this time," which leads me to believe they have not yet been set. So my question is, how long ahead of a cruise are the classes generally assigned?

Seems to me I booked ours at least 6 mths out

I would call Oceania or ask your TA if they have a list of the classes for your cruise

Must be something wrong in their online program if they are not loaded this close to sailing

Lyn

I would call Oceania or ask your TA if they have a list of the classes for your cruise.

Lyn

Thanks. I had just sent an e-mail to my TA when I saw your response.

Thanks. I had just sent an e-mail to my TA when I saw your response.

I was curious myself ...so I checked my CC statements

I booked the cooking classes mid Sept for the May cruise

I would think they would be posted at least 6 mths out :confused:

Lyn

Report from my TA: "culinary classes are loaded into the system within 120-160 days prior to sailing." We're at 161 days prior today, so they should show up in the next month.:)

The cooking classes are wonderful -- I was lucky to have Chef Kelley on Marina but I had a wonderful instructor as well last December on Riviera -- a star in his own right from Napa (Curtis di Fede) -- you can Google him. I took 3 classes on each of the two cruises -- every one of the classes was a winner.

Best advice I can offer -- DO NOT book a cooking class on the same day you are eating in a specialty restaurant. I have not been able to eat a meal after a cooking class.

I Canceled the 4 classes I reserved when I read of the topics and dishes covered which were at the most basic of beginner levels. THe

videos on the tv by Jacques Pepin were far and away more advanced and rewarding than the classes and free.

People curious about cooking looking for a enjoyable social experience will find it. On that point they deliver in spades with copious wine and fun interactions. If that is what you seek you will be rewarded.

On the other hand if your an experienced and serious cook or foodie you might find the all to short sessions not that rewarding.

It all depends on what it is you seek and what you think you might take away from the class other than good fun.

So it is very important to be honest with ones self and ones expectations .

Thanks for all for the replies. Although we are both enthusiastic and competent cooks, we think we'll pick up some useful tips and hopefully have some fun along the way. My only concern is that the Mediterranean cookery class is the same night as one of our La Reserve reservations so maybe I'll re-think that one given the comments on here. By the time we've done the cookery classes, La Reserve a couple of times, and the 4 specialty restaurants, we will have run out of time.. note to self - book longer cruise next time!!

Edited by DaisyUK

Looking at the cookery classes available on our cruise, I see that they last only an hour. Anybody think this is worthwhile? Is an hour enough to learn much?

If you do think the classes worthwhile, which are the best ones? And which dishes are included on the 'Red Ginger' class?

An hour? nothing worth cooking is leant in an hour. Whats on the menu - green salad?

The classes say they will last about an hour but they actually last about 90 minutes and sometimes a little longer. The classes are a mix of demonstration, practicing a technique and a little bit of cooking with most of the ingredients already measured and ready to use. I did enjoy the classes on a sea day for something to do though they are pretty simple so that any level of cook can enjoy them (I like to cook). Be aware though that on sea days, there are often cooking demonstrations for free in the theater that are that are a lot of fun to watch and sometimes just as good and less filling than the classes. It is the afternnoon classes that really interfere with dinner.

I Canceled the 4 classes I reserved when I read of the topics and dishes covered which were at the most basic of beginner levels. THe

videos on the tv by Jacques Pepin were far and away more advanced and rewarding than the classes and free.

People curious about cooking looking for a enjoyable social experience will find it. On that point they deliver in spades with copious wine and fun interactions. If that is what you seek you will be rewarded.

On the other hand if your an experienced and serious cook or foodie you might find the all to short sessions not that rewarding.

It all depends on what it is you seek and what you think you might take away from the class other than good fun.

So it is very important to be honest with ones self and ones expectations .

Even great chefs never stop learning . . . even from one another

I have been to cooking school in Italy and I found lots of things to learn from techniques, to choices of cookware and tools to how to select the best olive oil. I found a new and easier way to make individual tarte tatin (my favorite dessert). I cannot imagine that there is not something valuable in these classes for everyone.

An hour? nothing worth cooking is leant in an hour. Whats on the menu - green salad?

You've obviously not read any of the earlier replies......some people seem to read the original question and then post their response, ignoring anything else that's been 'said'.

Why is that?

The classes are NOT an hour long.

In the earlier days on Marina (a TA) on sea days, the cooking classes were 4 hours long. They plied us with wine throughout (they don't do that anymore) so that we were all full and tipsy by the end of the class. The classes I took on Riviera in December lasted around 2 hours. They are organized very efficiently and you will be amazed at how much you can accomplish in that timeframe.

On Riviera transatlantic I took the fish course because cooking fish has always intimidated me but I love to eat it. I would have been bored watching cooking on TV. This was a fun and informative way to learn how to cook four different types of fish. It ran a little less than 2 hours. Very impressed with Chef Kelly but no wine served.

We took the pasta making class on the Riviera and loved it. I suppose it could be considered basic if you have made pasta before but we had not and were amazed at how easy it was to use the pasta machine to cut the pasta into linguine strips, cook and serve the dish. We would only take a class in something that we had not tried making ourselves (or made ourselves and failed miserably:-)

turnip eater: It seems that when threads get into multiple pages, people don't want to or have the time to go back to post #1 and read them all. Eventually you get used to repeating yourself. After all, CC is about helping people and answering questions even if you have to answer them over and over and over again:)

I, too, took the pasta class and I know how to make pasta. Probably the 10th pasta class I have taken. I learned a few new things. The class was terrific. Again, I think anyone who enjoys cooking will learn something.

I don't know about you, but mise en place seems to take at least half of my cooking time. I'm from the school of thought that everything should be laid out ahead of time (chopping, spices measured out, etc.) and that way you aren't running around trying to beat the clock.

That said, the reason you can accomplish so much in 2 hours in these classes is that most of that is done for you. All laid out and ready to go when you walk in the class. I wish I had someone at home to do that for me! :) Personally, I love the classes and always try and do at least 3 per cruise... Never stop learning!

I don't know about you, but mise en place seems to take at least half of my cooking time. I'm from the school of thought that everything should be laid out ahead of time (chopping, spices measured out, etc.) and that way you aren't running around trying to beat the clock.

That said, the reason you can accomplish so much in 2 hours in these classes is that most of that is done for you. All laid out and ready to go when you walk in the class. I wish I had someone at home to do that for me! :) Personally, I love the classes and always try and do at least 3 per cruise... Never stop learning!

Couldn't agree more. We're both really looking forward to these classes, and are encouraged by the mainly positive responses on this forum - such a great resource.

Another heads up on the pasta class whether you have taken one before or not. This time I learned more about where to get the right pasta flour and how to attach the pasta piece to my Kitchen Aide mixer and use it easily. In the Red Ginger class we practiced knife skills. They are simple but always good for refreshing skills,etc. as said above.