Purchasing Wine in FL/Just a quick point

I am sure that most everyone knows this, but we didn't, so I thought I would share for cruise newbies.

Because you can now bring 2 bottles of wine per cabin on to RCCL ships, we planned to purchase wine in FLL on Saturday after dinner. However, we were so tired from travelling and the "stress" of getting ready, that we just decided to wait until Sunday morning and purchase the wine before we caught our shuttle to ALLURE.

WRONG! We didn't know that you cannot purchase wine, liquor & beer in Florida until after 12pm. This was totally our fault for not asking someone but we ended up out of luck for wine brought on board (didn't cause any problems we just increased our onboard wine package ;)).

I made a note to myself to come on CC when we got back and just put this point out there because I don't remember ever seeing this.

If you plan to bring wine on board, either bring it with you as you travel or plan to purchase on Saturday!! We felt really stupid on Sunday when we realized that we should have thought about it, but it all worked out in the end.

Allure is WONDERFUL!!!!! We had a great cruise and just did our drinking out of the cabin!! :):)

Edited by hgmizzou

Wow, thanks so much for this heads up! We're leaving on the Allure next weekend (!), and I probably wouldn't have thought to check this. My group of six appreciates it! :D

I believe Fort Lauderdale regulates the hours not the state so your mileage may vary depending on the jurisdiction. :)

I think you are correct...I live in Marion Cty Florida & am able to buy wine on Sunday's before noon....

We stayed at the Springfield suites in FLL. We found the Kmart where we could buy wine but there was a very limited choice. There was also Costco where we are not members. So be prepared if you stay in that vicinity

I know that as I now live in South Florida, but this was also the rule when I lived in Northern VA. No alcohol sales prior to noon. I do believe this only applies in Broward county and not Miami=Dade. As far as No. Va. I believe that also was specific to the county I lived.

Edited by Trekker954

We stayed at the Springfield suites in FLL. We found the Kmart where we could buy wine but there was a very limited choice. There was also Costco where we are not members. So be prepared if you stay in that vicinity

Sorry you didn't know that you "can" buy alcohol at Costco without a membership....You just need to ask a supervisor or manager to input a generic membership code "99" when you checkout.

Hope I haven't been misinformed...arriving from airport after midnight to Port Canaveral. Called the hotel and asked about purchasing wine within walking distance and they said there was a Walgreen's across the street, open 24 hours. Bad enough that I am at the mercy of whatever brands they happen to carry (I do not expect to find my favorites) but now I will need to wait til noon? Does anyone know about the Port Canaveral area? Guess I should check out the Florida departure forum...

Hope I haven't been misinformed...arriving from airport after midnight to Port Canaveral. Called the hotel and asked about purchasing wine within walking distance and they said there was a Walgreen's across the street, open 24 hours. Bad enough that I am at the mercy of whatever brands they happen to carry (I do not expect to find my favorites) but now I will need to wait til noon? Does anyone know about the Port Canaveral area? Guess I should check out the Florida departure forum...

Total Wine Viera (Melbourne) opens at 9am on Sunday. About 30 minutes from the port.

Much closer to the port is a Publix on Atlantic Ave., also open at 9am for liquor sales.

Edited by clarea

Total Wine Viera (Melbourne) opens at 9am on Sunday. About 30 minutes from the port.

Much closer to the port is a Publix on Atlantic Ave., also open at 9am for liquor sales.

Did you buy wine when you stayed at Sprinhill Suites ?? If so where ?? :D

Did you buy wine when you stayed at Sprinhill Suites ?? If so where ?? :D

We stayed at Springhill Suites in Dania Beach (Ft. Lauderdale). We took a taxi to the port and had the taxi stop at Total Wine in the Harbor Shops, very near the entrance to Port Everglades.

Nice thing about Total Wine is that you can place your order on the internet, and they pull and package the wine so it's ready to go when you get there. About 5 minutes wait time for the taxi.

I may take a shot at going to the Publix near the port in FLL, but I doubt my favorite locally produced wines will be available.

Maybe I'll just pack them in the checked luggage and go from there.