Princess to Screen FIFA World Cup Games on Movies Under the Stars

dmwnc1959

It's possible they might show both movies and the games. That MUTS screen is on ALL the time it seems. There will be TV in the Churchill Lounge (or the equivalent) so there might be fans congregated there. Lots of fans will be on the cruise, I promise, and they won't take kindly to be being characterized as not "true fans." I live with one. We were in Paris a couple of years ago during the World Cup where the streets were thronged with fans, non-stop revelry and noise, and DH was a happy camper. We were there for reasons other than football, but he felt that fortune had smiled on him. It's not possible to please everyone on a ship, and I have learned that tolerating the sports nonsense is less trouble than trying to stop it. :D

Ok I understand people like football and will be pleased, but what about those of us who do NOT like football? Will we have a way to escape the shouting and cheering on the deck and in the sports bar? Will films be shown for us "under the stars" or will it only be wall to wall football? Also, does Proncess have any idea how unappealing 'football related activities' will be to those of us who don't like football will be? Cruises are the only time I get to play bingo and do trivia quizzes... Basing these round football is going to be awful!

I was really looking forward to our cruise on Regal a Princess, now I'm not so sure....come on Princess please put our minds at rest...please confirm that non-footballers will not be buried by football fever and the we will have fairly-distributed entertainment :mad:

Okay, I'll be the first to say it...

I never imagined that they could think of a way to make MUTS any worse than it already is, but this would be it.

Flame suit on :p

I want to agree with you.

I doubt the entertainment will be all football all the time. They show movies in the afternoons in the Princess Theater on sea days, usually whatever has also been showing on MUTS. I also doubt they will show every match. In the cigar bar, there will probably be wall-to-wall football, but it's easy enough to avoid that place. Even if there is no football on the open deck during the day, there will be loud music or old movies on the screen, so peace and quiet is out of the question anyway. Football happens. I have learned to make my peace with it. ;)

(I agree with the anti-MUTS sentiment, BTW.)

Edited by shredie

I do agree! We HATE football. We will be cruising on the Regal Princess next week. We chose to cruise to get away from the World Cup. I hope that Princess recognise that not everybody likes football. We will be very angry if our cruise is ruined by a concentration on all things football related. We were looking forward to the films that were being advertised for MUTS during our cruise, I hope they will still be shown

You are out of luck. They may show movies during the day. Of course, it's not the same experience. Soccer fans will buy more alcohol than movie watchers. Princess knows that. We have been on two cruises during this event. The only positive is that it's easier to get seats almost everywhere else. We lucked out this year. Our last four nights of our 11 night cruise will be soccer free.

We were on a Caribbean cruise for the last World Cup and the atmosphere during the screening of a game was excellent.

Princess laid on temporary (mobile) bars so you didn't miss any of the action queuing at the bar underneath MUTS.

The funniest thing I ever saw watching one match was the brawl that broke out between opposing supporters. It was between USA and Ghana.

When Ghana won the US supporters got a little upset! I never thought I'd see the day that US citizens would be fighting over a football match instead of us Brits. Just hilarious particularly as people were sliding and slipping around the pool side as they launched at each other. Priceless.

Since the U.S is made of people from MANY countries & soccer is the #1 sport in every country (just about) except ours, I'm glad to hear that people who follow it will get the chance to see it. I don't like it, but it only comes around every 4 years. As a huge NFL fan, I understand the importance of big sporting events. And unlike movies, a sporting event airs ONE time. It doesn't come out on dvd, get shown on HBO, or On Demand, a few months after it's release. Good for you Princess!!!

If the World Cup is that important, why book a cruise in conflict with it? I specifically avoided those dates for vacation. Or if the time zone works, perhaps watch some games onshore--plenty of opportunities. Better yet, spend the money to attend the World Cup!

Edited by JPR

Just remember if you cruising in Europe the matches will all be after 5.00pm at the earliest. Here in uk the last matches at the moment are 11.00 at night

Edited by Bogof1