Cruising in three weeks and grandson's father now refuses to sign permission slip!!

I've posted before in other forums about this having some personal experience:

If both parents are listed on the BC and neither are traveling by law you need both parents signatures giving permission - whether or not they ask for it. The signatures MUST be notorized. This is NOT a RCCL policy - it is a customs enforcement policy.

They may or may not request it, but by law they have the right to, and if they do and you don't have all the proper paperwork in order you can (and will) be denied boarding.

I've been in stituations where I've been asked for no paperwork all the way to being grilled by US customes & border protection and having phone calls made to the other parties. It can and will happen.

There are legal ways to be granted legal guardianship - proving abandonment is one way - unfortunately these things take time.

Don't take chances with your cruise vacation - it's best to either ensure that you can have all your paperwork in order before you cruise or not risk it.

But RCI policy clearly states "an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents." So, according to this verbiage, one notarized signature is sufficient. IMHO and having gone through cruise embarkation many times, I have never seen a large customs and border protection presence at embarkation. At disembarkation, yes, there is a significant presence.

@ihatesnow I get your point about both parents being on the bc. What if dad was deceased? Would you need a death certificate? I've had my docs asked for, child was not a relative but my son's friend. The notorized letter signed by his mom was enough. NCLs form specifically requests both parents, Royal does not. Even on NCL, one parent being present was fine. She didn't need any paperwork from the dad giving her his permission. The notorized letter on RCL would be the same as the mom going, in my NCL example.

I the OP goes ahead with the cruise. She'll be out the money if she doesn't go, so why not try? Don't offer anything or explain anything. Wait for them to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

@ihatesnow I get your point about both parents being on the bc. What if dad was deceased? Would you need a death certificate? I've had my docs asked for, child was not a relative but my son's friend. The notorized letter signed by his mom was enough. NCLs form specifically requests both parents, Royal does not. Even on NCL, one parent being present was fine. She didn't need any paperwork from the dad giving her his permission. The notorized letter on RCL would be the same as the mom going, in my NCL example.

I the OP goes ahead with the cruise. She'll be out the money if she doesn't go, so why not try? Don't offer anything or explain anything. Wait for them to ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I have legal guardianship of my niece - she is now an adult. There are two parents on her BC. Before the court ordered guardianship was final we travelled with her. We were required to have notorized paperwork from both parties listed on her birth certificate authorizing us to take her out of the country. We were asked for that paperwork. She was traveling on a passport. She has the same last name as us. We were asked at check in if we were the parents.

FYI - that information IS encoded into the passports of a minor - at least this is what I've been told by customs officials.

I can't answer re: death certificate. I'm just speaking from experiences that I've had where I have in fact been asked for paperwork while traveling with a child that I am not listed on the birth certificate.

I have also been stopped at customs coming back from a cruise and been requested to provide documentation as well - so just be aware that it can happen.

Edited by IHateSnow!

I have legal guardianship of my niece - she is now an adult. There are two parents on her BC. Before the court ordered guardianship was final we travelled with her. We were required to have notorized paperwork from both parties listed on her birth certificate authorizing us to take her out of the country. We were asked for that paperwork. She was traveling on a passport. She has the same last name as us. We were asked at check in if we were the parents.

FYI - that information IS encoded into the passports of a minor - at least this is what I've been told by customs officials.

I can't answer re: death certificate. I'm just speaking from experiences that I've had where I have in fact been asked for paperwork while traveling with a child that I am not listed on the birth certificate.

I have also been stopped at customs coming back from a cruise and been requested to provide documentation as well - so just be aware that it can happen.

Was this a land based vacation, or a cruise?

If somehow I could get on the cruise with just my daughter's signature and affidavit what can, or will, they do if the cruise is over before they see I don't have both signatures?

We are raising two grandkids.. took them both on two cruises with a third in the future.

Just brought their BC (did have the court docs) but they never blinked an eye

We (the grandparents have passpports) too.

Go to the port check in and have a grand time

Cathy

If the mother has sole legal custody of the child the father is not required to sign. He has no legal rights to do so. We have this situation and here is how the authorization letter reads. Have never had any questions or issues.

I (full legal name) being the sole custodial parent of (full legal name) authorize my minor child to travel to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise to the Caribbean aboard the Royal Caribbean cruise ship Allure of the Seas departing June 1st 2014 with (full legal name) (grandparent).

I further authorize them (her) to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any and all activities onboard the ship.

In addition, I authorize (full legal name) to consent to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

If somehow I could get on the cruise with just my daughter's signature and affidavit what can, or will, they do if the cruise is over before they see I don't have both signatures?

That's not an issue as they won't be looking for that kind of info coming home

This is just my .02 based on what we experienced in Fort Lauderdale disembarking Oasis. Customs did not request any documentation (other than her passport) from the 17 year old from another family traveling with us.

You should be having this conversation with the folks that will require the proper docs. No one here will be checking you in at the port, really, forge docs:rolleyes:

Zoey - Sorry this is happening. I can't advise because I think it's going to vary agent by agent at check in. From my own personal experience, the notarized permission I took along for my 16 year old was not looked at at check in even though my son has a different last name. I also do not have a formal custody order in place and only use the permission statements when travelling. I'd probably side with those suggesting that your daughter's notarized permission slip is all that will be needed. You may not be asked at all.

As an aside, I have to say that I'm shocked at those suggesting forgery.:eek:

Being a crime and all, common sense seems to dictate forgery is NOT the way to go.

I had no problem with the airlines when I flew alone with my 12 year old granddaughter. My older son has had sole physical and legal custody of her since she was 3. Getting a permission slip signed by the mother was not an option. I did have paperwork (permission to travel, his custody papers and authorization for emergency medical treatment) from him. I was never asked for any paperwork.

I have also cruised (including flights to Florida) with my other son and his son, twice (Dec 2012 and Dec 2013), when the dgs was 4 and then again at 5. He has sole physical and legal custody of him. On the first cruise we had paperwork signed by the mother with us. On the second cruise she was not available to sign the permission slip.

Both times my son traveled with his custody papers but they were never asked for by either the airlines or RCCL.

Since you are prepared to make the best of it at a theme park, I would go and take your chances, I doubt you are going to be turned away. Just bring all the paperwork you can get from your daughter.

Please post back and let us know how it turns out. It may help the next person who faces this dilemma. Best wishes for a wonderful vacation together!

Zoey - Sorry this is happening. I can't advise because I think it's going to vary agent by agent at check in. From my own personal experience, the notarized permission I took along for my 16 year old was not looked at at check in even though my son has a different last name. I also do not have a formal custody order in place and only use the permission statements when travelling. I'd probably side with those suggesting that your daughter's notarized permission slip is all that will be needed. You may not be asked at all.

As an aside, I have to say that I'm shocked at those suggesting forgery.:eek:

Being a crime and all, common sense seems to dictate forgery is NOT the way to go.

Thanks for the information.

I don't think anybody was REALLLY serious about the forgery, I think some were just concerned and caring enough about my situation to let the uncooperative father get them steamed.

Zoey, I hope that you are able to enjoy a fabulous cruise with your Grand Son.

My only concern is if the sperm donor knows the cruise date and would he try to start trouble if he found out the boy was taken on a cruise without his consent, not that I think he should have to give it.

If while on cruise your daughter hears from sperm donor and he threatens to call authorities, have her tell him and "I'll be getting all that back child support".

Hope she gets this taken care of legally upon your return.

Just get the notarized letter from her and have a great time. Don't go the forgery route. Just go up to the desk and don't say anything. They are usually so busy I don't think it crosses their mind. In fact, I never even mention they are my grand children. I just say hello show my passports, setsail pass and that's it. Less said the better. Let us know what happens. And I do agree with the poster who said don't let the sperm donor know ahead of time. (I can't call him the father anyone can make a baby but it takes a man to be a father )

THIS link is from the US Customs and Border Protection website...(google is your friend)

The US GOVERNMENT is the OFFICIAL SOURCE for information regarding this issue..

I will never understand WHY people will not go to the proper government agency for this info. It isn't up to the cruise line or TA, it's up to the TRAVELER to cover their bottoms...

What COULD happen if you do NOT have the proper paperwork..

You can be detained in their offices until they can assess the circumstances..

I don't know about you but being detained by CBP people with guns is not on my list of fun

And people saying,jokingly or not, to forge a signature are stupid.

Edited by megr1125

THIS link is from the US Customs and Border Protection website...(google is your friend)

I will never understand WHY people will not go to the proper government agency for this info. It isn't up to the cruise line or TA, it's up to the TRAVELER to cover their bottoms...

I don't know about you but being detained by CBP people with guns is not on my list of fun

Google may be YOUR only friend. Thanks for the lecture anyway. I so happened to review the site you referred me to early this morning. I asked for others (helpful) opinions and experiences. I THINK that's kind of what Cruise Critic is for.

I hope this works out for you

my husband's ex is an absentee mother, we were able to track her down and get her signature for a cruise we took last Thanksgiving (she didn't want to sign because, as she put it "I've lived my whole life without going on a cruise, they can, too") but she's since had another child and moved to another state. We are cruising again in 10 months, we have 10 months to track her down!

I will say, though, that no one asked us for the form last time and my last name is not the same as my husband and children. But, I understand not wanting to take a risk!

Hello!!!!! You do have some leverage you know....just contact an attorney and have him post a letter to the AH telling him if he doesn't fax in the signed permission form ASAP, your daughter and the State Attorney General's office will start proceedings against him for unpaid child support payments...duh!

Jail time is a great persuader!:mad:

LOVE this! I will tell you what happened here...my Grandson had a child with a girl who later turned out to be into drugs and stripping...the child was most frequently with him..but he was scared she would take him away or he would get hurt....he walked into the court (no appointment) and asked for an emergency hearing..for temporary custody...it was granted that day! Now the Mom has cleaned up her act and is in a happy relationship....I am happy for both of them esp my great grandchild..as he now has two parents...but he (my grandson) did what had to be done...and he still has full custody but they get along well and they share, which I think is the best thing for the child. I know this doesn't happen in all cases but maybe your daughter can get an emergency hearing and get legal custody quickly.

Good luck Zoey

I have a family member who seems like your daughter.

Sometimes you want to strangle them because of their decisions in life but then you remember you love them.

It's wonderful that you can do this for your grandson and I hope it works out for you both.

Maybe because a lot of us live on planet earth and the real world.

You forgot to mention the possibilities of hard time breaking rocks with a sledgehammer for life for not having the proper documentation, of which, those with the experience have stated is very often NEVER needed.:rolleyes:

I read the link, and the "strong suggestion" of the govt. You know, we don't live in a risk free world, and there is always the possibility CPB could step in, for any number of reasons. That being said, as I mentioned before, in all the 15+ times I've cruised, all on closed loop itineraries from the USA except for one, I can honestly say I've never seen ANY customs agent at embarkation. The circumstances of the OP's cruise have happened I'm guessing tens of thousands of times. Of course RCI will (likely, depending upon the agent) insist upon the consent from ONE parent, per the RCI web site. RCI is not in the business of finding ways to deny boarding to pax. OP's cruise is closed loop, and he will be traveling with a 15 year old, not exactly a red flag. A 6 month old traveling on a repositioning from somewhere in Fla to somewhere in South America might be a different story.

Get the daughter's notarized consent with the proper language, with the other necessary govt. issued docs in hand, go to Port Everglades, and enjoy your cruise on the world's biggest cruise ship!