Paging Blu Experts

JEDIKNIGHT

Based on our experience, I would disagree - when we were on the Summit and dined in BLU nightly, my wife had a special order almost every night (initially at the staff's suggestion when she could not decide on a menu item). She got dishes that were not even remotely close to what was on the menu. After the second or third night they actually offered to make her a special meal before she even opened the regular menu.

When I last dined in the MDR on the Summit, I requested a special dessert- sugar free jello with whipped cream and or berries daily. The Maitre'd made sure that I had the special dessert daily. I also didn't eat many high carb items on the menu and he saw to it that my special request were granted.:)

I would suggest you dress up a couple of notches on formal night in blu. Cocktail party attire works best as most people-not all-respect the dress code on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise

Smart casual is perfectly acceptable in Blu, even on a formal night. No need to feel obligated to dress up more. You will not feel out of place and you will not be turned away from Blu (or other specialty restaurants). I stopped packing a tux and/or suits several cruises ago. Dress slacks and a button down dress shirt or polo work just fine. Both my back and my wallet thank me for that.

Enjoy your cruise.

Smart casual is perfectly acceptable in Blu, even on a formal night. No need to feel obligated to dress up more. You will not feel out of place and you will not be turned away from Blu (or other specialty restaurants). I stopped packing a tux and/or suits several cruises ago. Dress slacks and a button down dress shirt or polo work just fine. Both my back and my wallet thank me for that.

Enjoy your cruise.

Not the back so much as new luggage has wheels and is easy- However I agree that if your old tux and or suits do not fit you- buying a new suit or tux can be costly! And you might have to pay for an additional piece of luggage on the airlines if you fly also. If you desire, of course, you can rent a tux that will be delivered on the ship to use on formal nights. But as you say you will not be ejected from Blu for not dressing on formal night or any other night- unless you are wearing ripped jeans and or shorts.:)

That is one reason we love leaving from NJ! No plane to catch and we can bring all of the luggage we want!

Just off the Summit this past Sunday and the first formal night more men had a tie on for the first formal night in Blu , a lot less on the second formal night. There is no formal night dress code in Blu.

Just off the Summit this past Sunday and the first formal night more men had a tie on for the first formal night in Blu , a lot less on the second formal night. There is no formal night dress code in Blu.

How was the food? I just got a really cheap upgrade from Verandah to Aqua so I'll be trying Blu for the first time on my 6/8 Summit cruise. I always got jealous when I'd walk by and look at the menu, and the extra cost was minimal enough that I had to try it.

Not having to bring suit/dresses for formal night would be a lot more useful if I were flying rather than driving to the port!

Edited by MisterBill99

How was the food? I just got a really cheap upgrade from Verandah to Aqua so I'll be trying Blu for the first time on my 6/8 Summit cruise. I always got jealous when I'd walk by and look at the menu, and the extra cost was minimal enough that I had to try it.

Not having to bring suit/dresses for formal night would be a lot more useful if I were flying rather than driving to the port!

In my book, you made a great choice. I think you'll find the food quite good and IMHO a bit better prepared/seasoned than in the MDR. The biggest difference you'll find, I think, is the atmosphere in the restaurant where you can actually talk in a normal voice. Another big plus for blu is breakfasts which come hot, no searching for a table in the buffet and so on.

For a small price increase, I think you'll be overjoyed by the move. Have a great cruise.

In my book, you made a great choice. I think you'll find the food quite good and IMHO a bit better prepared/seasoned than in the MDR. The biggest difference you'll find, I think, is the atmosphere in the restaurant where you can actually talk in a normal voice. Another big plus for blu is breakfasts which come hot, no searching for a table in the buffet and so on.

For a small price increase, I think you'll be overjoyed by the move. Have a great cruise.

Yes, it cost us only $80pp over my 2A cabin, so definitely worth it. My son (a foodie, like me) was excited by the breakfast menu, he'll be even more thrilled when he sees dinner.

Can I assume that dinner entrees are actually cooked to order, so when I ask for my duck breast medium rare it will actually come out that way? The MDR on Constellation last summer had serious problems doing that (even though they claim that stuff is cooked to order there as well).

Edited by MisterBill99

Yes, it cost us only $80pp over my 2A cabin, so definitely worth it. My son (a foodie, like me) was excited by the breakfast menu, he'll be even more thrilled when he sees dinner.

Can I assume that dinner entrees are actually cooked to order, so when I ask for my duck breast medium rare it will actually come out that way? The MDR on Constellation last summer had serious problems doing that (even though they claim that stuff is cooked to order there as well).

Yes, they blue is very accommodating on preparing the food the way you prefer....pink duck should come out pink (of course occasionally it doesn't but, like any restaurant, you can send it back easily). You can also easily mix and match vegetables with a main course....could you replace the green beans with the corn. One night, they serve filet on top of a salad and I always ask for the filet with some regular vegetables on a plate...no problem. BTW, I recommend the onion soup and the Caesar's salad with anchovies (optional), both of which are available every day even if not on the menu.

Also at breakfast blu usually can prepare eggs benedict and have corned beef hash, neither on the menu.

Edited by ghstudio

Had duck in Blu twice on Reflection in March. Both times (different preparations) it was perfectly medium-rare and better than many versions I've had in some pretty expensive restaurants.

Yes, they blue is very accommodating on preparing the food the way you prefer....pink duck should come out pink (of course occasionally it doesn't but, like any restaurant, you can send it back easily).

Thanks. In the MDR on Constellation they tried 3 times and failed each time (brown duck breast is very sad to see when you ask for it to be pink). And when I asked for it medium rare when they had it on the lunch menu (as part of a salad) I was told that I couldn't get it prepared to order at lunch.

But I got even. I told the hotel director about both experiences. I also happened to see the Executive Chef speaking to the guy who's in charge of food for all of Celebrity (who was the Executive Chef on Silhouette when we first sailed her) and mentioned it to them.

Had duck in Blu twice on Reflection in March. Both times (different preparations) it was perfectly medium-rare and better than many versions I've had in some pretty expensive restaurants.

Thanks, looking forward to my meals!

Edited by MisterBill99

We have stayed in Aqua class several times and in suites twice. Had no problem going to to Blue staying in a suite. i would agree with other post most guess dress up on formal night. While the specialty resturants might be "better" than blue I often prefer the lighter cleaner meals at blue vs the heavier meals served at others. Quisine is very good lawn club is also but I d don't need to feel over stuffed every night. We have taken 7, 10 1&3 and 15 nigh cruises and enjoyed blue most nights

Thanks for reminding me.... I travel VERY lite and no suit jacket tie and pants helps a lot! :D

Edited by A Sixth?

We have cruised Aqua 3 times and at least one night on every cruise I have seen Suite guests turned away from Blu. However, they were groups vs just 2 diners so that might have made the difference.

How large a table do they have available? I understand that most tables are for 2. Is there any chance that they won't have a 4 available when we show up (we are in AQ)?

How large a table do they have available? I understand that most tables are for 2. Is there any chance that they won't have a 4 available when we show up (we are in AQ)?

On the S class ships, the tables are in rows, so tables are about one foot away from each other in rows of about 8 You will have no trouble getting tables for 4 or more. They also have a handful of large round tables. The restaurant opens about 5:30. Typically busiest from 5:30 to 7:30. So come at 5:30 or after 7:30 for easiest seating.

On the S class ships, the tables are in rows, so tables are about one foot away from each other in rows of about 8 You will have no trouble getting tables for 4 or more. They also have a handful of large round tables. The restaurant opens about 5:30. Typically busiest from 5:30 to 7:30. So come at 5:30 or after 7:30 for easiest seating.

Although there are fewer 4 seat tables, it's actually easier to get one than a 2 seat table. Blu does not pair couples up like select dining.

I'm going to be on Summit, so M-class. Two tables next to each other would also be OK.

Edited by MisterBill99

One was a group of 8 and they arrived at 7:00 pm which is prime time. Since we usually arrived around 7:00 the others were also arriving around then. I am sure you would be fine with 4 people.

I also wanted to mention that on the 3 cruises we took I don't remember any men without jackets and ties on formal night.

I'm going to be on Summit, so M-class. Two tables next to each other would also be OK.

On the M class- the tables are part of the MDR that is closed off- so the seating as I recall, was more like the traditional dining room. Blu was never crowded as I remember, so getting tables is actually easier.

Enjoy your cruise

One was a group of 8 and they arrived at 7:00 pm which is prime time. Since we usually arrived around 7:00 the others were also arriving around then. I am sure you would be fine with 4 people.

I also wanted to mention that on the 3 cruises we took I don't remember any men without jackets and ties on formal night.

I would tend to agree- but I would say 90% of the men in Blu wore jackets and ties. A handful did not.

We were on Summit last week in a sky suite. Last year we were on Equinox in Aqua and dined in Blu every day for breakfast and dinner. The food and service were superb. We posted a question asking if suite guests could dine in blu as that was influential in our choosing Celebrity and were really looking forward to this experience. We did dine in Blu 4xs for dinner and were charged $5 each. The food and service however were not a patch on Equinox. The breakfast particularly was not good in terms of quality and service so much so we made that point on our online survey. We dined 1xs in Normandie which was excellent, gorgeous food and fabulous service. We dined 2xs in the main dining room for dinner and found the food there as good if not better than Blu and the service was better. Sorry to be negative but we did not really rate Blu on this occasion. We are planning another cruise on Summit and will be booking in concierge

We were on Summit last week in a sky suite. Last year we were on Equinox in Aqua and dined in Blu every day for breakfast and dinner. The food and service were superb. We posted a question asking if suite guests could dine in blu as that was influential in our choosing Celebrity and were really looking forward to this experience. We did dine in Blu 4xs for dinner and were charged $5 each. The food and service however were not a patch on Equinox. The breakfast particularly was not good in terms of quality and service so much so we made that point on our online survey. We dined 1xs in Normandie which was excellent, gorgeous food and fabulous service. We dined 2xs in the main dining room for dinner and found the food there as good if not better than Blu and the service was better. Sorry to be negative but we did not really rate Blu on this occasion. We are planning another cruise on Summit and will be booking in concierge

The problem we all have is that service/food issues are not tied to a ship, they are tied to the officers/staff on the ship during your particular cruise. The captain changes, the maitre c' in Blu changes, the waiters are all healthy and experienced and that experience could be very much different.

Someone in this week's Summit roll call thread reported that they were able to have brunch at Blu on embarkation. I questioned it and another person confirmed it and even posted the menu. Is this something new? I guess it must be since I haven't read about it previously here.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Forums mobile app