Paging Blu Experts

JEDIKNIGHT

Some of this I know has been discussed but I was hoping to get some recent opinions.

We’ll be on Summit shortly, in a Penthouse and as I understand it, Suite Pax may do Blu Dinner, IF there is availability. Some questions:

*How has Blu dinner availability been for Suite Pax? Do you call them or just show up and hope?

*From reading CC, it seems the food prep AND service maybe better than MDR so I’m leaning towards trying Blu. But, does Blu do requests if the menu doesn’t appeal?

*Any recent Summit’ers on how the MDR was overall?

Thanks

You either ask your butler to call blu and see about availability of you just stop by and ask. Blu does not take reservations.

Blu does not do special orders, but they are quite accommodating in mixing and modifying things that are on the menu or on the everyday menu. No different than going to a restaurant at home. If pheasant isn't on the menu, they aren't going to find a pheasant....but if you want the steak blackened instead of with a bernaise sauce, they might be able to do it.

Edited by ghstudio

Some of this I know has been discussed but I was hoping to get some recent opinions.

We’ll be on Summit shortly, in a Penthouse and as I understand it, Suite Pax may do Blu Dinner, IF there is availability. Some questions:

*How has Blu dinner availability been for Suite Pax? Do you call them or just show up and hope?

*From reading CC, it seems the food prep AND service maybe better than MDR so I’m leaning towards trying Blu. But, does Blu do requests if the menu doesn’t appeal?

Thanks

We are Summit'ers and have dined in Blu as well as the MDR. First, the Normandie is better then both as is Qsine -IMO. So book each at least once. We have dined in Blu, it is okay- not great, especially after multiple cruises. We thought it would be quiet and a little less hectic in Blu on the Summit- but the days we dined in Blu, many small children also dined at the venue -apparently suite guests. This made the quiet dining experience the same as the MDR.

Food in MDR as well as the service, is very good. I think that Suite guests, might get more Sr. wait staff- and typically the better tables. The good news is that you should look at the daily menu and each day decide which restaurant works best for you. As a suite guest, we never have been refused seating in Blu.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Thanks

We sail in Aqua so I can't answer the questions about Suite availability but I know for a fact that Blu DOES do requests if you give them a day in advance to do it.

My husband is a vegan with a few more restrictions (so his ingredients are usually already on board) and they make him a special off-menu dinner every night.

That's one of the reasons we sail in Aqua - we feel the special requests are more easily handled in a smaller venue.

Blu will welcome the PH guests with open arms. We have been in the PH on Summit and were always welcomed to dine in Blu by name, by the Matre De from the first night on. We love the service, atmosphere and food in Blu. I know that food is very subjective, but we love it there. Enjoy your cruise The PH is FANTASTIC

I've done 8 cruises in Aqua Class just so that we could dine in Blu...I love it! My advice, if you want to dine in Blu...book Aqua. Its an Aqua perk and one of the reasons we pay a premium price for a room that is truly no different from any other verandah cabin.

I'm happy for you if you get to dine in Blu...its a wonderful restaurant...and I've always found something I want to try and yes, have had the joy of custom ordering meals (done the night before) on a particularly long B2B which was a suggestion that came directly from the Maitre D (not a request from us) and was done in conjunction with the Chef...it was a delightful treat!!!

I can book a suite...but personally choose not to because I love the Blu Experience and I don't think it does justice to the experience when you have wait staff under pressure because they're trying to turn over tables quicker than normal when there's an influx of both suite and aqua passengers (the Maitre Ds really do try their best to accommodate suite guests ... and I understand why: they are truly high value guests for the cruise line...but the question remains: at what cost to others?). When X rolls out the Suite dining venues, that's when I'll make the switch. Until then its Aqua and Blu for me.

Blu will welcome the PH guests with open arms. We have been in the PH on Summit and were always welcomed to dine in Blu by name, by the Matre De from the first night on. We love the service, atmosphere and food in Blu. I know that food is very subjective, but we love it there. Enjoy your cruise The PH is FANTASTIC

As with Phxazzcruisers, I agree. When in a Celebrity, Royal or Penthouse suite, your wish is their command. When you spend that kind of money, you are a king & queen aboard the ship. Just take advantage of your room butler. He will take care of you.

On our B2B on the Summit in a Sky Suite we dined in Blu almost every night. We were always seated promptly and just showed up.

The MDR is great, but Blu is perfect! :)

302038h.jpg

23tpfkp.jpg

9u8ydv.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

First time on a cruise, didn't know....

No need to explain...its a perfectly reasonable question :) Blu is formal on formal nights (confirmed on-board on more than one cruise...and when you look at where it physically sits, right next to the "premium" specialty restaurants, it would be odd for it not to be). However that being said, I've noticed a lot of people tend to ignore that and show up in smart casual or whatever (this is especially true on non-european). On European itineraries more people dress up than do not. Net net: The Maitre D will not turn you away either way...which is probably why some people think Blu doesn't adhere to the formal night rule.

No need to explain...its a perfectly reasonable question :) Blu is formal on formal nights (confirmed on-board on more than one cruise...and when you look at where it physically sits, right next to the "premium" specialty restaurants, it would be odd for it not to be). However that being said, I've noticed a lot of people tend to ignore that and show up in smart casual or whatever (this is especially true on non-european). On European itineraries more people dress up than do not. Net net: The Maitre D will not turn you away either way...which is probably why some people think Blu doesn't adhere to the formal night rule.

Blu is absolutely NOT formal dress required on formal night or any other night. If you doubt that, see specialty restaurant dress codes on celebrity's web site. You will also find that all, including murano, Tuscan grill...all specialty restaurants are smart casual every night.

Formal wear is, of course, optional...but the dress code is, once again, smart casual every night of your cruise.

Read: http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_dining&tab=onboard_proper_dining_attire_tab%2Fonboard%2FtextPanel.do%3Fpagename%3Donboard_proper_dining_attire

Edited by ghstudio

As GH has stated above, formal wear is not required in Blu on formal night, although some diners do participate, so do not feel out of place if you choose to wear smart casual on these nights.

As far as the location of Blu. On the Summit it is not right next door to any "premium" specialty restaurant. It is located next door to the Select dining room on Deck 5.

There are two "premium' specialty restaurants on the Summit,

The Normandie, located on Deck 3.

Qsine located on Deck 11.

As GH has stated above, formal wear is not required in Blu on formal night, although some diners do participate, so do not feel out of place if you choose to wear smart casual on these nights.

As far as the location of Blu. On the Summit it is not right next door to any "premium" specialty restaurant. It is located next door to the Select dining room on Deck 5.

There are two "premium' specialty restaurants on the Summit,

The Normandie, located on Deck 3.

Qsine located on Deck 11.

I would suggest you dress up a couple of notches on formal night in blu. Cocktail party attire works best as most people-not all-respect the dress code on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise

I would suggest you dress up a couple of notches on formal night in blu. Cocktail party attire works best as most people-not all-respect the dress code on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise

The "dress code on the ship" is Smart Casual and above - only the MDR has a dress code of formal.

The "dress code on the ship" is Smart Casual and above - only the MDR has a dress code of formal.

Having sailed on the Summit 4 times, and in Blu three of the four times, most people-not all- do dress up on formal night.

Not carved in stone- but they do tend to dress up in all venues.

Having sailed on the Summit 4 times, and in Blu three of the four times, most people-not all- do dress up on formal night.

Not carved in stone- but they do tend to dress up in all venues.

I agree - I wore my tux both formal nights. But that was my preference - nothing to do with the dress code.

Blu does not do special orders, but they are quite accommodating in mixing and modifying things that are on the menu or on the everyday menu. No different than going to a restaurant at home. If pheasant isn't on the menu, they aren't going to find a pheasant....but if you want the steak blackened instead of with a bernaise sauce, they might be able to do it.

Based on our experience, I would disagree - when we were on the Summit and dined in BLU nightly, my wife had a special order almost every night (initially at the staff's suggestion when she could not decide on a menu item). She got dishes that were not even remotely close to what was on the menu. After the second or third night they actually offered to make her a special meal before she even opened the regular menu.