Traditional Dining question - have the 6:00 pm seating

JandKMom

I am traveling with my husband, two kids and my elderly mom and her aide. I figured everyone would want to eat early so we opted for the 6:00 pm seating. I decided against Select Dining because I figured 6:00 pm would be the ideal time to eat anyway and frankly I was having some sticker shock and didn't want to prepay the tips. I think this will work out for us but there is one day, the first day in port that we have some outings planned and I worry about getting back in time. Can you eat in the MDR later on one day or are we out of luck if we miss it? What are our other options- buffet? I had wanted to try a specialty restaurant but my mom is iffy about spending the extra money.

I usually go for My Time dining, but I have arrived back late on a port day before and decided to eat in the buffet instead, so I could eat a bit quicker and still catch the shows. The food is just as good, just not as formal. It may be worth talking to the Maître D to see if you can be flexible on that day - you might not get your regular table, but they may fit you in as a one off. No harm asking.

I have found that I am always back in time for dinner no matter what time the seating is basically because the ship usually leaves before dinner.

There is rarely a time that we are running to get back on the ship when ain a port, most times we are on 1 or 2 hours before it leaves.

With your travel group I doubt that you will be spending every available minute in a port and if the tours are planned thru the cruise line you will more than likely be back in time.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I have found that I am always back in time for dinner no matter what time the seating is basically because the ship usually leaves before dinner.

I think that depends on where you sail. I'd agree in the Med, but in the Baltics we had 2 ports with a late/midnight departure and one overnight stay, so there was every incentive to come back later.

You should definitely speak with the dining room manager on day 1 about this. If your only going to be a few minutes late its not an issue but if your talking about 30 minutes or more that's an issue. Chances are they can find a way for you but if not the buffet offers plenty of options for that evening.

I am traveling with my husband, two kids and my elderly mom and her aide. I figured everyone would want to eat early so we opted for the 6:00 pm seating. I decided against Select Dining because I figured 6:00 pm would be the ideal time to eat anyway and frankly I was having some sticker shock and didn't want to prepay the tips. I think this will work out for us but there is one day, the first day in port that we have some outings planned and I worry about getting back in time. Can you eat in the MDR later on one day or are we out of luck if we miss it? What are our other options- buffet? I had wanted to try a specialty restaurant but my mom is iffy about spending the extra money.

I think you are probably worrying needlessly but when we sailed on the Eclipse recently we went to the buffet to eat one night ( I wasn't feeling great, so couldn't face a long dinner in dining room) I was pleased to see that they had fresh cuts of fish and meat to cook to order, my husband still maintains that the piece of my rib eye that he had was the best steak he has ever had!!!! Enjoy your cruise.:)

Thanks all. This is a Bermuda cruise and we are actually docked for three days. The day in question is the first day we are in port. I have an handicapped excursion planned for my mom and her aide and they are due back at 2:00, but my husband kids and I were going to take the bus around the island and do various things. I am worried I planned too much and would not make it back in time. I had posted some questions about my planned itinerary on the Bermuda board and I began to get a little worried calculating the time it would take us on various buses and ferries to get back in time for dinner. If it weren't for my mom waiting for us back at the ship it would not be such a big deal. It is really important to my mom that we all have dinner together. May end up doing the buffet that night, but will speak to the dining room manager as suggested.

Thanks all. This is a Bermuda cruise and we are actually docked for three days. but will speak to the dining room manager as suggested.

Gosh now I am really jealous, we have just returned from a cruise that visited Bermuda for 1.5 days, it was absolutely gorgeous, apart from the long flight I would love to go back there.

The ferries and buses are really user friendly just buy a pass and you can travel around easily, we also found everyone really friendly and helpful.

Enjoy your family cruise, I would love to take our Grand children there someday.

This will be my fourth time in Bermuda. First time was on a cruise- way too short we were just there for a day, then one time with my husband and a second with the kids. I chose this cruise because it docks for three days, so it is like a floating hotel. The one thing I did not like about our fiat cruise was that we were in each port for such a short time. It s so beautiful there and can't wait to go back! We live in. New York so it is such an easy trip- no air travel required- just drive to the dock and cruise off!

We had a very late excursion last February (Panama Canal partial transit). Got back about 6:30 or so, maybe even later. We were denied eating in the MDR. The CD and a few others were at the gangway to greet us and said those who Select Dining could go right to the MDR. Those who didn't could go to Oceanview. We were tired and hungry and didn't feel like going to the room to get cleaned up and change clothes anyway. It was quite nice.

What is Oceanview? Is that the buffet?

Hi, yes it is:)....The full name is the Oceanview Cafe...but it is

the buffet...not really a cafe;)

Best advice above is to ask your waiter and/or Maitre d' about this the day before. They'll let you know what you can or can not do.

Next best advice is that if the MDR doesn't work out one night then don't worry about it - just choose an alternative such as the buffet or a specialty restaurant and go with the flow.

Edited by Lsimon

It doesn't matter in the end if you pre-pay gratuities, or pay them when you settle your final bill. You're still expected to pay the same amount. The only difference is when it's paid. I've always just figured gratuities as part of the total cost of the cruise, and had it in the budget. I still remember the hassle of making sure you had enough cash to put in those envelopes. I also remember that some folks chose to eat in the buffet the last night to avoid paying their tips. We can debate if cruise lines should just raise the price and not expect gratuities to be paid separately, as some luxury lines do. But in the end it's all the same. The customers pay for the service staff's salaries, just like they pay for the the fuel, the port fees, etc.,etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Of course I am still planning on paying the gratuities! The issue was the huge outlay of money upfront caused sticker shock and I prefer to put it off to later! Anyway, 6:00 pm works for us every other night and we just figured why go through the hassle of having to reserve a time every night. We will probably just do the buffet that one night unless we decide to do a specialty restaurant after all.