New to RCI - Independence of the Seas questions

New to RCI (but not cruising)

Does Royal have/allow recliners on balconies? Mini-suite or regular balconies? What are the best balcony cabins to book? (larger ones in same categories, etc)

What does a mini suite get that a regular balcony cabin doesn't? The cruise we're going to book - there isn't a big price difference between balcony and mini-suite. Is it worth the up price for the mini?

I love afts - are they any that are better than others? Do they even HAVE regular balcony or mini's on the aft or is that only suites?

Thanks in advance.

The mini suites that you are referring to are called Junior Suites by RCI. Most JS's I'll have a lounger or two on them regardless as to whether or not it is an aft.

Most ships will have a combination of various cabins that face aft. There will be balconies and Junior Suites as well as possibly some larger suites. The balconies are quite a bit deeper with some corner ones being wider as well. Most times regular balcony cabins that face aft have the loungers as well.

Other perks of a Junior Suite:

Bathtub, walk-in closet (all but Majesty and Vision class), priority check-in and boarding, tea kettle, coffee maker, bathroom amenities, robes, double C&A points, and a silver Seapass card.

That's not true about JS balconies and loungers....unless it's an AFT JS balcony, there usually are no loungers on standard side JS balconies. While the balcony is wider than a regular cabin, it's the same deepness as all other balconies!

We typically book a D1 category balcony and request a lounge chair from our steward when we board. Never had a problem getting one. D1 balconies are typically larger

Edited by Wilda

That's not true about JS balconies and loungers....unless it's an AFT JS balcony, there usually are no loungers on standard side JS balconies. While the balcony is wider than a regular cabin, it's the same deepness as all other balconies!

Yet again posting a blanket incorrect statement. Many, many posters have reported that their side facing JS has had loungers myself included on the Jewel.

We just did a b2b on Independence we had an aft junior suite first cruise and second cruise mid ship junior suite on both had 2 chairs, 2 lounge chairs and a small drink table.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want the cheaper balconies on Indy that are the "secret" larger balconies, look at 7408 or 7708 (E1 category) or 1400 or 1700 (D1 category). They all sleep up to 3 on Indy.

You can get a lot of info on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1243860

The D1's will accommodate up to 4.

Depending on when you are looking at sailing these cabins may not be available if you only have 2 people sailing.

The D1's will accommodate up to 4.

Depending on when you are looking at sailing these cabins may not be available if you only have 2 people sailing.

Oh, yes! That is right. I forgot they have the sofa.

Edited by APDMOM
error

Here are some pics of 7708 on Indy: The cabin itself is standard sized, but the balcony is huge!

DSCN4125_zps8de76f83.jpeg

DSCN4123_zps498b9e6e.jpeg

DSCN4126_zps4a9444e0.jpeg

DSC_0067_2_zps30985fbe.jpeg

Wow. I thought 1702 and 7712 had large balconies.

The thing that I like about the aft balconies is that there are lots of steel beams overhead which makes hanging the hammock real easy.

Wow. I thought 1702 and 7712 had large balconies.

The thing that I like about the aft balconies is that there are lots of steel beams overhead which makes hanging the hammock real easy.

:D 7708 and 7408 are our favorites. They were sold out for our Thanksgiving cruise next year, so we will try 1700 for the first time.

We were in IOS 9406 on our recent cruise, with a balcony that was supposed to have 2 lounge chairs. Both had been broken and one was missing. Our steward was able to get a replacement for one. This did not lessen our enjoyment of our cruise, but, if anyone at RCL monitors these message boards, please replace those loungers for the next guests.

Love the aft....