NCL Air Travel Department

Warning: If you let NCL book your air you may not be able to change the flights. I called and wanted to change what they picked for me. The NCL Air Travel department was no help and offered very little options even though I knew plenty of seats were available on other flights and offered to pay any difference.

Called the airline directly (US Airways) and they were all set to move me to the flight I would rather have. Then the rep found out that they cannot change the reservation, it could only be done through NCL.

Lesson learned. Ask more questions before you buy. Before this I never bought airline tickets from an agent or Expedia. I always booked directly from the airline.

On a side note, as an NCL customer both Delta and US Air have upgraded me to free soft drink and peanuts!!!

Robert

Edited by ctpaddler2000
typo

Wow, hard lesson to learn. I had considered booking a 1-way flight through NCL, thinking it might be less expensive but think I'll continue looking after our travel arrangements myself.

Sorry you had to experience this, I can understand it would be very upsetting.

Just not as convenient. I will still get there and home. I am not going to let it ruin anything. I just wanted to give people a heads up.

Great, enjoy your cruise and thanks for the heads up. :)

That is too bad they would not be willing to change your flight. Keep in mind that the change fee might be significant, as you would pay the change fee per person plus any difference in fare. There may also be a difference with any discounts that NCL gets. But, if you are willing to pay there is no reason NCL could not have made it work.

Also keep in mind that this is always the case when you book with an entity other than the airline. Before the day of travel, any changes always need to be made with the booking agent, whether that is a cruise line, travel agent, or travel website.

Edited by BOS_CruiseGuy

Your story is a common one we see here on CC, it may sound convenient to book air travel thru NCL, but you have no say on your flight. You likely will end up with horrible flight times, connections, etc.

At least you are getting a great perk with those peanuts. Be sure to ask for 2 bags, I always do, it's just that one bag never fills me up.

Has anyone used NCL's Premium Air? We haven't used it, but it sounds pretty good. For an extra $50 PP, if you have to book long flights or one-way flights (especially to Europe), want to choose your airline or particular flights, want to fly non-stop, upgrade to first or business class, etc., it sounds like it could be worth it, and it could give you choices in how you fly.

I tried using NCL air one time thinking how bad could the itinerary be Phoenix to Vancouver the day before sailing. I had to laugh when we were ticketed on a 540AM departure with a connecting flight. We were just going to grin and bear it but luckily a kind soul at NCL was willing to change it to a nonstop at a decent hour on a completely different airline. I was shocked because the original airline ticket #s were issued. I recall being told at the time that they just book the first flight departure regardless. I was thankful for the change but didn't ask for it since I knew the terms. I just emailed my PCC to "laugh" and he somehow managed to get it changed rather quickly.

As much as I read about Premium Air, I don't get it. Is that paying NCL a fee just to book flights someone could just as easily book direct through the airline? Like paying a travel agent?

As much as I read about Premium Air, I don't get it. Is that paying NCL a fee just to book flights someone could just as easily book direct through the airline? Like paying a travel agent?
I suppose you could look at it that way IF the price you were paying to book direct with the airline was anywhere as cheap as what I hear you can get through the cruise line (and have the freedom to make some choices about how you fly). One-way fares to and/or from Europe booked direct are OUT OF SIGHT. Edited by Cruise_More_Often

Wow, hard lesson to learn. I had considered booking a 1-way flight through NCL, thinking it might be less expensive but think I'll continue looking after our travel arrangements myself.

Sorry you had to experience this, I can understand it would be very upsetting.

Before I booked my Alaska cruise I had already checked airfare and knew I could get BOS to ANC and back from SEA to BOS for $380pp, which is great airfare. When booking the cruise my PCC asked me if I needed air and I said it depended on how much. She said it would be $1100pp!!!! Of course I would not know my airline or flight times until much later as well. I nearly fell out of my chair. I said I could get it cheaper on my own and she said you almost always can.

A few years back my brother was looking to book a Mon to Fri cruise out of MIA. He already knew what the airfare was going for and they could only fly down the same day so he wanted the guarantee of booking through the cruise line. He called NCL and liked the price of the cruise and then asked about airfare, I can't remember what they quoted him for airfare. He was also told what I was about not knowing the airline and flight times until later. I believe he was able to put a hold on it. He then called Royal C. The cruise price was almost identical but when he asked about adding airfare they connected him to their airline desk and was told what airline and flight and the fare was almost identical to what that airline was asking. He booked it right on the spot. He called back NCL to cancel. The agent asked him why he was cancelling and he told him, because Royal was able to tell him his flights and airlines right at booking.

Funny part, my wife and I did the same Royal cruise a couple years before, they were assigned the same exact cabin as we had.

I suppose you could look at it that way IF the price you were paying to book direct with the airline was anywhere as cheap as what I hear you can get through the cruise line (and have the freedom to make some choices about how you fly). One-way fares to and/or from Europe booked direct are OUT OF SIGHT.

I used NCL for our flights for the transatlantic a few years ago. They did come out cheaper for us rather than booking on our own, as it also included the ground transportation from London-Heathrow to the port at Dover. Since I live really close to O'hare Airport it was a no brainer because there were no connections involved. I think if you live inconveniently far from a major international hub things would be different.

Has anyone used NCL's Premium Air? We haven't used it, but it sounds pretty good. For an extra $50 PP, if you have to book long flights or one-way flights (especially to Europe), want to choose your airline or particular flights, want to fly non-stop, upgrade to first or business class, etc., it sounds like it could be worth it, and it could give you choices in how you fly.

Has anyone tried NCL's premium air option? Would like to hear about your experience.....

Ray

I did that when I needed to book a non stop to L.A., from Boston, same day as cruise. Fortunately, all went well and I arrived in plenty of time. Couldn't fly out a day early that time, because of work schedule.

I have never booked my flights through NCL, but on all my cruise confirmations it states of course the standard cancellation policies for various items booked through NCL, and for "Air Cancellation Fee " it says:

Cancellation 75-56 days prior to departure is $100.

Seems to me like that means that prior to 75 days before departure you can cancel you air ticket with NCL without any penalties? Or, if you are between 75 and 56 days, just cancel and pay the $100 and book a new ticket for the flights that you prefer?

I might be misunderstanding something though..........

Edited by TrumpyNor

I believe if you pay NCL the extra money to use their premier air or choice air, you can pick the airline and flight you want to go on. If you just choose NCL air; they book the cheapest seat in bulk and it may include one to three stops depending on where you live. BTW, this is done by all the cruise lines not just NCL.

My old PCC told me that the air was purchased in blocks from the airline. So depending on how they're purchased, I could see NCL not having access to other flights even if a direct call to the airline says they have open seats. Those seats might not be in NCL's block.

That said, I'm not anywhere near a major hub. It's almost always cheaper for me to just book on my own.

I did that when I needed to book a non stop to L.A., from Boston, same day as cruise. Fortunately, all went well and I arrived in plenty of time. Couldn't fly out a day early that time, because of work schedule.
Sounds good! I will definitely give it a try, especially when booking one-way, expensive long-distance flights. Unfortunately for me, I did not think about using it before booking our non-stop home from Montreal in September. :o Edited by Cruise_More_Often