Sabatinis or Crown Grill?

alyssa0922

Crown Grill for it's wide variety of options and outstanding food. I could go to the Crown Grill numerous times during a cruise but not to Sabatini's.

I've had too many disappointing entrées at Sabatini's & even though the other courses were good there is not as much variety as at the Crown Grill.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Crown Grill used to be my #1 but with the new menu in Sabatinis over the last couple of years and the removal of live lobsters and 12oz tails from the CG my vote goes to Sabatini's.

Sabatinis on the Ruby/Emerald/Crown is in an awesome location aft with lots of windows and a much bigger main room.

Unfortunately, the Sapphire Princess does not have the Crown Grill, so we chose Sabatini's for our free specialty dinner. What a disappointment. The baked whole fish was bland and the two very petite lobster tails were dry and tough. Very disappointing meal. Later on two occasions, we had lobster in the main dining room and they were twice the size and delicious.

We have eaten at Sabatini's four times over the years, twice with the old menu and twice with the new. There are a few good items but, in total, the experience has been underwhelming every time. Have never had less than a good meal at the Crown Grill or Sterlings on the Sapphire or the Bayou Cafe on the Coral and Island. The steakhouse on any ship would be our first choice over Sabatini's.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

My husband and I sailed on Royal Princess last month. We've always enjoyed both the Crown Grill and Sabatini's on the prior 6 Princess cruises we sailed on. My husband was looking forward to dinner at Crown Grill.

Unfortunately, it was a terrible experience all around for our table of 4. The service was very slow, the waiter forgot to bring our salads, my soup was so salty I could not eat it and my husband had to send his steak back as it was rare, not what he asked for. We have been on 9 cruises and have never complained about food or sent back a meal before this.

And to top it all, my husband kept getting water drops on his head from the ceiling tiles. Possibly condensation and not the waiter's fault, but when we mentioned it, he simply replied it was a sign of good luck for my husband :confused:

They offered to move us at the end of the meal, we declined, just wanted to leave.

The Maître D did take care of our bill but only after we went to see him at the end of the meal.

We'll give it another try next time and hopefully this will end up being a rare unfortunate experience at the Crown Grill. (Sabatini's 2 nights later more than made up for it)

We'll be on the Star in 12 days and get a free meal in either Sabitinis or the Crown Grill. I was really looking forward to ordering steak and lobster and there is no lobster available? I see no point in going if there isn't any lobster. :mad:

We'll be on the Star in 12 days and get a free meal in either Sabitinis or the Crown Grill. I was really looking forward to ordering steak and lobster and there is no lobster available? I see no point in going if there isn't any lobster. :mad:

Yes there is still lobster tails but not as big.

For the first time we went to the Crown Grill on our Ruby cruise in March and wife and I had a "surf and turf"combo. Excellent filet mignon and lobster tail was excellent as well. We could have had more lobster tails (we got two each) but we couldn't finish what we had. BTW, wife is from Maine and knows what good lobster is and these were really good. If you go on the Star I hope your meal is as good as ours was. If it is you will not be disappointed in the lobster. :cool:

YMMV

Edited by ar1950

Thank you all! We will be on the Ruby. My DH being a carnivore and all I am sure would love Crown Grill, happy to see mostly positive reviews. 😉

I have been on 5 cruises (all RCCL) and have never done a specialty restaurant, looking forward to it! 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by alyssa0922

Totally disappointed in the Crown Grill on the Crown Princess, not so much with the food but rushed service though the room was relatively empty. That restaurant felt like an Outback Steakhouse, nothing special in the least. Sabatinis was much nicer and being up on deck 16 away from all the crowds was worth it in itself

Went to the Crown Grill for the first time on the Golden Princess about 2 weeks ago, everything was great other than the Sea Bass which seemed to have been fried and the scallop appetizer that was borderline raw and not seasoned very well, had the fillet mignion . We had one giant plate of lobster tails (probably 10 halfs?) and we were struggling to finish it as to not waste. the meal was so good that we ate at the Crown Grill a week later on the Star Princess, this time as a group of 5 instead of 2. Everything was excellent this go around, had the same appetizers and the sea bass again, both were cooked perfectly and seasoned well. Went for the Rib eye this time and I don't think I'll look at another steak the same way. The marbling was excellent and each bite was so succulent. 1 of the 15 or so pieces of lobster was overly salty, otherwise everything was perfect.

Hi All

The great debate, have had great meals at both and not so good at both.

But for food l would go with the Crown for setting and a quite romantic evening Sabatinis

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app