crown princess delay out of Vancouver

uptownhoney

Aboard the crown princess now.... Muster station meet was supposed to be 3:45....then moved to 4:15 for a gangway issue and now moved to 4:45 due to people still trying to board in the terminal? Hopefully 4:45 is it :/

Therefore, sail away party now moved they said for tonight and other activities. Luckily, our dinner reservations aren't until 6:30!

I thought the boat waited for no one so possibly a terminal issue or US Customs issue? Ready to get this Alaska adventure going!!

Aboard the crown princess now.... Muster station meet was supposed to be 3:45....then moved to 4:15 for a gangway issue and now moved to 4:45 due to people still trying to board in the terminal? Hopefully 4:45 is it :/

Therefore, sail away party now moved they said for tonight and other activities. Luckily, our dinner reservations aren't until 6:30!

I thought the boat waited for no one so possibly a terminal issue or US Customs issue? Ready to get this Alaska adventure going!!

Welcome to CC and enjoy your cruise on the boat! :D

the slowest boarding I've ever encountered was one of the first Alaska cruises of the season leaving from Vancouver. I hope you're on your way soon and have a wonderful time. the scenery is magnificent!

..... 400 people still outside in the terminal trying to get on the ship due to customs.... Safety drill now at 5:20.... Wonder what could possibly take this long??

If this is the first of the season, shore personnel may be new and are not up to speed on procedures.

Hey you are on a cruise and you are not one of the ones trying to get on! ;)

exactly!

when our boarding was delayed, it was US customs (or is it immigration?) whatever. it took forever. be happy you are at least on board! I was in a snaky line for almost 3 hours. you are unpacking already? yay! luggage arrived. :) enjoy your cruise.

Edited by cdngrl

Yep! we were on board by noon and our luggage was to us by 2pm! enjoyed lunch & exploring. unfortunately, the putt putt mini golf course is still closed (but looks like it's under going repairs) - but we knew that prior to getting on board! excited to experience Alaska for the first time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The delay doesn't bother me now that he's said why and that it isnt an issue with our ship -- I just imagine the captain / ship logistics and how our delay is a ripple effect to everyone else working here/harbor pilots.

Luckily, tomorrow we are at sea and I've learned ship captain sure do just speed up to make up for the time. Tonight, looking forward to dinner at the crown grill for the lobster and delicious desserts & movie under the stars is looking like a great line up. Hunger games tonight & frozen later this week. Appropriate for cold Alaska :)

ooooh, frozen is a fun movie, loved it! Alaska is amazing. you can go there thinking its gorgeous and then you get there and you still didn't imagine it that good! the ports are all very different and interesting. the weather has been rainy, rainy, rainy or beautiful! I've frozen in glacier bay and I've also been there in t-shirt weather and gotten a sunburn. I'm excited for you to experience it!

We are under way now! Thanks y'all! They said there were quite a few who did not attend the safety drill (big no no ) and have to report at 6.

should be pushing back soon, hustling. and those with early dining were told to go straight to the dining room!

It's like awful embarkations are the trend for that ship.

Sigh...No. The first few embarkations at Vancouver Place always seem to be delayed. It'll get better as the season progresses...

I thought the boat waited for no one

In 2010, we cruised out of Vancouver on (US) Labor Day weekend. We took the Princess transfer bus from Seattle to Vancouver, and hit delays at the border crossing. We were relaxed, knowing that we were on the Princess transfer, and the ship sure did wait for us.

I just imagine the captain / ship logistics and how our delay is a ripple effect to everyone else working here/harbor pilots.

Luckily, tomorrow we are at sea and I've learned ship captain sure do just speed up to make up for the time.

The next ships won't be until 12:01 am or later. The harbor pilots are most likely union, and they're happy to earn their rate one way or another. The real wrinkle is the tidal situation at Seymour Narrows. It's strong enough that cruise ships usually won't transit the narrows during the strongest of the tidal flows. You'll probably go through it between midnight and 2am.

Hello CJ, as you are a Vancouver Native, you may be able to answer a couple of important questions hopefully.

1) We are 8 traveling for a family vacation, 2 wheel chairs involved, staying at the Pan Pacific Fri. 5/23. Are we likely to exerience the same kinds of delays that weekend that you are seeing last weekend and this one coming up?

2) We want to buy our wine there in Vancouver before we board. Is there a good place to get a decent price near Canada Place?

Next Saturday could be a zoo. There were two ships at Canada Place today, there's three next week. It's usually US immigration that's the hold up. Not enough agents.

Wouldn't that be Canadian immigration??:confused:

Wouldn't that be Canadian immigration??:confused:

Not boarding. You have to go through US immigration before hitting the cruise line's check in agents. As soon as you step on that ship, you're in the US

Edited by Cruise Junky

Hello CJ, as you are a Vancouver Native, you may be able to answer a couple of important questions hopefully.

1) We are 8 traveling for a family vacation, 2 wheel chairs involved, staying at the Pan Pacific Fri. 5/23. Are we likely to exerience the same kinds of delays that weekend that you are seeing last weekend and this one coming up?

2) We want to buy our wine there in Vancouver before we board. Is there a good place to get a decent price near Canada Place?

See my response on the Celebrity Board to you