Honeymoon Cruise: Small table or large table

A table for 4 guarantees one other couple.

You could always ask the maitre 'd on the first day if there are and other honeymoon couples that you could sit with. They are usually very willing to help with seating changes. It is usually announced where this takes place.

Hope you get the seating you want.

And from a 26 yr married couple GOOD LUCK!:D

I'm not sure how RCI assigns tables - seems to be a crap shoot. We have always requested large tables because we like to meet others. First cruise we had a table for 10 with 2 other couples (both honeymooners) and a mother/son duo. The other 2 seats remained unoccupied. Second cruise we had a table for 6 with 2 other couplers. Third cruise we had a table for 8 with a group of 6 women travelling together. I was glad the last cruise was only 3 nights because there weren't any openings at another table. The women weren't rude or anything bad - just nothing in common so we wanted to switch.

We've got three more cruises booked and have requested large tables for all of them. We'll see what happens.

I don't know what I would like for a honeymoon. If you are both extroverts, you may want the dinner time to be a chance to mingle with others. You will have the rest of the evening and day together. If you prefer privacy or want "romantic" time, you may prefer a table for two. If you want to try a large table and it doesn't work out, you can try to move later.

I love my husband, but after 10 years of marriage, it's nice to spend time with new people too. Hubby and I will spend all day together in the ports so we'll have plenty of togetherness. We'll probably spend an evening or two dining in one of the alternative restaurants on our upcoming cruise so we'll have some private time then.

On our honeymoon cruise my TA assigned us a table for 4, but we really wanted to dine alone, so when we got on the ship we had it changed to a table for two, which was awesome.We did dine in the main dining room for breakfast and were seated with other honeymooners and couples, which was a nice change of pace, but we really did enjoy our "romantic" dinners. I think you should probably ask for a table for 4, though you might still end up dining for 2 since the other couple may not have dinner in the main dining room every night.

We are majorly prejudiced in favor of tables for 2, and have been requesting them for years. We just want to eat with each other. Been married for 36 years. Our waiter, Paul, on the Splendour called us his "romantic couple". HA!!

Yes, head on up to the dining room and talk to the maitre d' (he's usually there or at a designated spot to make changes around 1 PM) on embarkation day. Go to the dining room and check your table (the number's on your SeaPass card). If it's not what you want, or you want to know if you can be placed with another honeymooning couple, then go see the maitre d'.

OK, kyriecat is right: they frequently don't get it right. We've been assigned to a table for 2, 4, 8, and 12, all the while asking for 2. So, we always check first thing on every cruise.

They will take care of you for sure. Also, the Windjammer is very nice and quiet if you want a dinner with just the two of you. We go there once in a while. They soften the lighting and have nice table ware, etc. So, if you decide you want to be alone, you can go there.

We had a table for 4 HAL to Alaska some years back and a Newlywed couple made it to dinner with us 3 nights out of 7 (LOL...wink*)

They were the nicest young people. Loved chatting with them (when they came up for air)

I would say pick a large table 8-10. If you would like to visit and just be a no show if your not in the mood. People will certainly understand.

I, myself would prefer a table for 2 on my Honeymoon. Nothing like a romantic dinner . I guess I am a romantic at heart. You will see and meet lots of people at the open seatings for Breaksfast and Lunch and around the pool. Dinner for 2 is perfect to spend some quiet time with each other recalling the wonderful day you had so far on your cruise. Good Luck to you both and do hope You have many happy memories of your Cruise. Ike

I, myself would prefer a table for 2 on my Honeymoon. Nothing like a romantic dinner . I guess I am a romantic at heart. You will see and meet lots of people at the open seatings for Breaksfast and Lunch and around the pool. Dinner for 2 is perfect to spend some quiet time with each other recalling the wonderful day you had so far on your cruise. Good Luck to you both and do hope You have many happy memories of your Cruise. Ike

There are very few 2 person tables on each ship and these are usually reserved fast because every other honeymoon couple was thinking the same thing. Usually late dinner seatings have less kids because dinner starts at around 8:30. Also depends on the time of year you go...If you go on a cruise when kids are out of school, expect kids to be on the ship. If you go on the cruise when school is in session, there will be very few kids on the ship. I'm going in January while school is in session so I expect mostly adults although I'm sure some kids will be on the ship...No big deal. I'm letting the cruise line pick my table because I really don't care of the table size but I did pick the late seating to hopefully avoid alot of kids being at the table. Don't get me wrong, I love kids, just not alot that overrun the ship. I'm on a cruise ship taking a vacation, not at Chuck-E-Cheese. ;)

We had a table for 6 on our Enchantment honeymoon cruise. 1 other honeymooning couple which we spent a lot of time with on the ship (and WON the Quest together...) and 1 couple that was celebrating their 25th anniversary. We had a GREAT time. Although I love my DH dearly, we can eat nice, quiet, romantic dinners at home. When on a cruise, we like to meet people. In my small town of 3,000, there's not a lot of people here our age, so it's nice to go on vacation to meet people.

I've NEVER EVER had a problem with any tablemates. I like a previous posters suggestion of informing the matre de (before dinner time) that you'd like to be placed with other couples, if possible. A small green piece of paper with a dead president on it might even help, too! :D

When my husband and I are traveling just the 2 of us, We always ask to be seated at the largest table available and have the TA note an adult only table.

The advantages of a large table 8+ are numerous. For one thing if there is someone at the table you just don't "click" with, there are others to sit next to and visit with. If you are at a table for 4 and you don't care for someone you don't have any other options.

Also, sitting with others has given us an oppurtunity to meet other people we wouldn't meet otherwise. On our last cruise we ended up spending each day at a port with a different couple. We rented a taxi together and split the cost.

I agree that there is no correct answer to this; it is really what you would be more comfortable with.

I am single but have enjoyed many cruises as part of a couple. On some of those, a table for two was the perfect choice; on others we enjoyed meeting new people.

As a single, I once was seated with two HM couples who spoke no English. I immediately excused myself and asked for another table.

I have never been seated with families or kids, unless I was travelling with them myself. If I was, I would also have my table changed.

As a single, I have been seated with couples. Some have been very welcoming, others were not. It is the luck of the draw.

I would state my preference up front and then see what happens.

Our first cruise was our honeymoon. We had requested a large table and were assigned a table for four and we were seated with one single guy. After the second night he changed tables. I don't think it was our personalities that made him leave (I least I hope not). But what single guy in his right mind would want to spend dinner each night with honeymooners. Though in retrospect I was glad he moved, it was much nicer having a table for two for our honeymoon cruise.

Every cruise since then we have requested a large table and ended up with tables for 4, 6, and 8 and have enjoyed meeting others on the ship. However, for a honeymoon I can definitely recommend a table for 2.

Excuse my ignorance but how do you request how many people you would like at your table?:confused: Is this done beforehand or is there a stampede to the dining room on the first day of the cruise?

Thanks

Jane

My vote is for a large table as possible. If your there to enjoy yourself odds are you will have fun with anyone you are seated with. I do believe they attempt to group by age, but not necessarily honeymoon or not.

We have cruised many many times and some of our best experiences come from the people we have met at our dinner table.

I agree with caviargirl. It can be luck of the draw. I like people that tell us about the fun they had on their excursion and what fun things they do on the ship. You know cruisy kinda stuff.

Laura, unless YOU have a split personality (Jekyll and Hyde), I think that YOU would enjoy sitting with a large number of other young couples. (maybe even NOT so young couples). If Ken is outgoing, too, you will both enjoying hooking up with (in the OLD sense of the word) others for daily activities. It's so great walking around the ship, seeing friendly and familiar faces.

JMHO. :D

Carol

Laura, unless YOU have a split personality (Jekyll and Hyde), I think that YOU would enjoy sitting with a large number of other young couples. (maybe even NOT so young couples). If Ken is outgoing, too, you will both enjoying hooking up with (in the OLD sense of the word) others for daily activities. It's so great walking around the ship, seeing friendly and familiar faces.

JMHO. :D

Carol

I think I am going to call RCCL and request a large table. We are pretty social, (Ken could make friends with a tree!) and would like to meet new people.

Excuse my ignorance but how do you request how many people you would like at your table?:confused: Is this done beforehand or is there a stampede to the dining room on the first day of the cruise?

Thanks

Jane

I have always done this when booking my cruise through my travel agent.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived