Coffee on Carribean Princess

Drew's Wife

Can anyone tell me how the coffee is on this ship? My husband loves good coffee and it seems that the coffee on most ships is not very good. Not sure if it has to do with the water or the brand of coffee.

He does not drink any specialty coffees, just plain black coffee. Thanks so much.

The coffee that is free in the MDR and Buffet is made from a syrup concentrate. It is pretty meh...

You can buy brewed coffee in the International Cafe, or it is free for the life of the cruise if you purchase a coffee card (about $32 and includes 15 espresso based drinks0.

Some people bring a french press or Starbuck's Via packets to supplement the not so great coffee.

The coffee that is free in the MDR and Buffet is made from a syrup concentrate. It is pretty meh...

You can buy brewed coffee in the International Cafe, or it is free for the life of the cruise if you purchase a coffee card (about $32 and includes 15 espresso based drinks0.

Some people bring a french press or Starbuck's Via packets to supplement the not so great coffee.

We have the French press mugs from liquid planet and they hold coffee for an additional cup which is great.

Coffee card is a great option for brewed and you could use the specialty coffee's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Oy, excuse the auto correct ;)

Thank you so much for the information. I don't drink coffee, but he loves good coffee. We just decided to go ahead and buy the coffee card. I didn't realize that the coffee was made from a syrup and wasn't fresh brewed. No wonder it taste terrible!! Thank you all again for your help.

Edited by Drew's Wife

There are a lot of us Princess cruisers that have no problem with the "syrup coffee" that is served in the MDR and Horizon Court. Uneducated palates, perhaps, but we find it perfectly drinkable.

IMO, the fresh-brewed in the IC, is "just coffee" .... nothing special, and not worth paying extra for. Some mornings I have found it "watery" and so unpleasant that I dumped it out and went to the buffet and filled my mug with "syrup coffee".

I suggest you tell you hubby to let his palate be his guide, after taste testing both, before spending the $$ for a coffee card.

Edited by flamomo

Can anyone tell me how the coffee is on this ship? My husband loves good coffee and it seems that the coffee on most ships is not very good. Not sure if it has to do with the water or the brand of coffee.

He does not drink any specialty coffees' date=' just plain black coffee. Thanks so much.[/quote']

In one word "YUK". Everyone seems to complain about the coffee but nothing changes. None of the cabins have coffee makers (even the suites). So people make do with French Presses, their own instant coffee, etc.

Cole

Thank you so much for the information. I don't drink coffee' date=' but he loves good coffee. We just decided to go ahead and buy the coffee card. I didn't realize that the coffee was made from a syrup and wasn't fresh brewed. No wonder it taste terrible!! Thank you all again for your help.[/quote']

If you don't do specialty coffee's you can keep the card and if you go on Royal or Regal the card can be used for gelato too.

The card also gives you tea, I love the mighty leaf tea and purchase it for home but they have 6-8 flavours onboard too if you like that.

In one word "YUK". Everyone seems to complain about the coffee but nothing changes. None of the cabins have coffee makers (even the suites). So people make do with French Presses, their own instant coffee, etc.

Cole

Having coffee makers in cabins would be a fire risk:eek:

I don't have a problem most times with the coffee concerntrate but do buy the coffee card too so depending where we are will use either.

They do have new coffee machines on the Royal which have 'grinds' in them and taste better so I guess they have made changes but will never be able to please everyone.

I don't have a problem most times with the coffee concentrate but do buy the coffee card too so depending where we are will use either.

Many land restaurants also use the coffee concentrate.

The concentrate comes in various quality levels, just like regular coffee.

Possibly Princess is not purchasing the highest quality concentrate.

Thank you so much for the information. I don't drink coffee' date=' but he loves good coffee. We just decided to go ahead and buy the coffee card....[/quote']

He can also buy brewed coffee by the cup at the International cafe, in lieu of coffee card if he wishes:

$1.50 small, or $1.75 large cup.

I usually use the coffee card, as I get my use out of it. But on my last cruise I noticed many buying by the cup instead.

He can also buy brewed coffee by the cup at the International cafe, in lieu of coffee card if he wishes:

$1.50 small, or $1.75 large cup.

I usually use the coffee card, as I get my use out of it. But on my last cruise I noticed many buying by the cup instead.

I went ahead and purchased the coffee card for him last night...They won't make any money on him with the coffee cards. This is a man that drinks upwards of five pots of coffee a day! I think it's from his Military days when he had to be on call at all hours! Thanks again everyone, for the help. I just had no idea that all the coffee on the ships was not fresh brewed. We alwayd wondered if it was the water they use? We shall see. As long as he has good coffee, he is a happy man! :)

I swear by the Via in the room service coffee (which is pretty much the same stuff in the buffet.) I put a pack of Via in the pot. This is not the ideal solution for everyone, but I think he'll find the fresh brewed at IC is pretty good. The coffee on Princess argument goes on...

I think the coffee is fine in the buffet or delivered to your room. We doctor it up with D'Vita cappuccino and cream. It tastes 100% better than that nasty stuff Starbucks serves - yuck!

Edited by elliair

There are a lot of us Princess cruisers that have no problem with the "syrup coffee" that is served in the MDR and Horizon Court. Uneducated palates, perhaps, but we find it perfectly drinkable.

IMO, the fresh-brewed in the IC, is "just coffee" .... nothing special, and not worth paying extra for. Some mornings I have found it "watery" and so unpleasant that I dumped it out and went to the buffet and filled my mug with "syrup coffee".

I suggest you tell you hubby to let his palate be his guide, after taste testing both, before spending the $$ for a coffee card.

At home we grind each pot fresh. I'm able to deal with the MDR coffee. It's not as good as at home but I get by just fine.

Having coffee makers in cabins would be a fire risk:eek:

I don't have a problem most times with the coffee concerntrate but do buy the coffee card too so depending where we are will use either.

They do have new coffee machines on the Royal which have 'grinds' in them and taste better so I guess they have made changes but will never be able to please everyone.

NCL has coffee makers in their cabins and in the suites, the espresso makers are great. Don't recall any fires on their ships lately. ;)

Cole