Caught on Independence with liquor in room

Once again we have to blame our public school system.

PLAIN VIEW DOCTRINE

DEFINITION FROM NOLO’S PLAIN-ENGLISH LAW DICTIONARY

The rule that allows a law enforcement officer to seize evidence of a crime, without obtaining a search warrant, when that evidence is in plain sight. For example, a policeman who stops a motorist for a minor traffic violation and sees a handgun on the back seat may conclude that the driver is unlawfully in possession of the gun, and may enter the car to seize it.

It's too bad that you can't order a bar set up for your cabin on RCL. Maybe less people would smuggle if they offered this service. I don't like the idea that if you buy the package you have to go to the bar to get a drink to enjoy on your balcony. What if you want two drinks? I understand that you can only order one at a time.

Agreed. If they'd offer bottle & setup service, they'd gain revenue AND discourage (some) smuggling. Can't understand why they don't.

Meanwhile, based on our recent experience - we figured out that most routes back to our cabin from whereever we happened to be could be routed to go past at least 2, sometimes 3 of the bars on board. One drink at each, and you're set for your balcony for some time to relax! :)

Agree:D:D

Add to that subbed and chair hoggers

CL and DL chair hoggers

Q jumpers

Bad manners

Etiquette failures

Obnoxious guests

Tip stiffers

The list goes on!

When it comes to rules that Royal should enforce......pool chair hoggers would work for me.

They surely can't correct etiquette failures, nor obnoxious guests or bad mannered people......tip stiffers are unfortunate -- but that is probably one of the reasons the 'automatic tip process began to be put in place.

What are "Q Jumpers"?

When it comes to rules that Royal should enforce......pool chair hoggers would work for me.

They surely can't correct etiquette failures, nor obnoxious guests or bad mannered people......tip stiffers are unfortunate -- but that is probably one of the reasons the 'automatic tip process began to be put in place.

What are "Q Jumpers"?

Queue. Line jumpers.

Are there a lot of lines on board? On our recent Disney cruise, the only lines we encountered were to get on or off the boat.

I have not been on Independence, but we have cruised a lot on Royal....some lines may be experienced in the buffet at very busy times.....or waiting to enter the MDR if you arrive as soon as they open for the designated early or late seating....if you have the MyTimeDining (which we have not done) some people say they have had to wait, others say they have never waited.

Other lines you may experience is for the flowrider or perhaps zipline....but typically these lines move quickly from my experience.

I have not been on Independence, but we have cruised a lot on Royal....some lines may be experienced in the buffet at very busy times.....or waiting to enter the MDR if you arrive as soon as they open for the designated early or late seating....if you have the MyTimeDining (which we have not done) some people say they have had to wait, others say they have never waited.

Other lines you may experience is for the flowrider or perhaps zipline....but typically these lines move quickly from my experience.

Is the buffet not a free flow or "open" design? They really have a line there? I guess a line for the flowrider makes sense, that did remind me that there was occasionally a line for the Aquaduck.

Is the buffet not a free flow or "open" design? They really have a line there? I guess a line for the flowrider makes sense, that did remind me that there was occasionally a line for the Aquaduck.

It is an 'open design' but lets say you want an omelet in the morning (at a busy hour), you could have a short line waiting for omelets to be special made.

Bob, you are correct. It is the bar staff that does this.

I'm new to RCCL, will be sailing May 18th with them.

So, if you would like to request ice brought to your room do you ask your steward, room service, or the bar staff???

Thanks!

I'm new to RCCL, will be sailing May 18th with them.

So, if you would like to request ice brought to your room do you ask your steward, room service, or the bar staff???

Thanks!

Ask your stateroom attendant. They will fill up your ice bucket twice a day if you like.

Our room steward has always happily provided us with ice. We get with him first thing, tip in advance (in addition to the normal gratuities), and ask him to keep an ice bucket filled in our room.

We are D+, which gives us access to free happy hour cocktails, we bring on the allowed 2 bottles of wine, we receive a bottle of champagne as a welcome aboard gift for D+, and we are generally gifted with wine from various staff. I usually smuggle in a little spiced rum, not because I'm drinking it onboard, but to take with me on shore excursions. We typically book port-intensive itineraries, and I often find that beach bars give you a pretty mild pina colada or rum punch. Not trying to make excuses here: I'm perfectly aware that I'm breaking the rules. I'm willing to roll the dice, though. If they take my Captain Morgan it's no great loss.

Agreed. If they'd offer bottle & setup service, they'd gain revenue AND discourage (some) smuggling. Can't understand why they don't.

Meanwhile, based on our recent experience - we figured out that most routes back to our cabin from whereever we happened to be could be routed to go past at least 2, sometimes 3 of the bars on board. One drink at each, and you're set for your balcony for some time to relax! :)

They used to permit you to purchase bottles from the onboard shop for a $9 upcharge to keep in your cabin (although I'm sure there were smugglers then nonetheless), but then Mr. Smith got drunk and went overboard and his equally drunk bride sued RCI for millions and the cruiseline quit allowing it. While there were bottles in the cabin, I've no doubt they also bought plenty at the bars. In any event, that's when the ability to purchase bottles for the cabin stopped.

Our room steward has always happily provided us with ice. We get with him first thing, tip in advance (in addition to the normal gratuities), and ask him to keep an ice bucket filled in our room.

Yep, that's always worked well for us. Tipped our steward when he showed up to introduce himself last week, told him we'd appreciate him keeping us supplied with fresh ice & there would be more tips at the end of the week. We ALWAYS had ice, I know it was filled at least 3x per day.

We are D+, which gives us access to free happy hour cocktails, we bring on the allowed 2 bottles of wine, we receive a bottle of champagne as a welcome aboard gift for D+, and we are generally gifted with wine from various staff. I usually smuggle in a little spiced rum, not because I'm drinking it onboard, but to take with me on shore excursions. We typically book port-intensive itineraries, and I often find that beach bars give you a pretty mild pina colada or rum punch. Not trying to make excuses here: I'm perfectly aware that I'm breaking the rules. I'm willing to roll the dice, though. If they take my Captain Morgan it's no great loss.

That's what we figured about our bottle of vodka. If they had bottle service we wouldn't bother, but we enjoy a vodka/tonic while we're dressing for the evening, and sometimes late before turning in. There's tonic in the minibar, but no other way to have the vodka handy.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

our cabin attendant told us to keep it out of sight so he got a little extra something the last night.

Now we just keep our booze wrapped up in the shorts and t-shirt we pack for formal nights and no one is the wiser.

our cabin attendant told us to keep it out of sight so he got a little extra something the last night.

Now we just keep our booze wrapped up in the shorts and t-shirt we pack for formal nights and no one is the wiser.

Coastralrap gets it. Especially compared to displaying your smuggled trophies on a shelf daring the cruise line to do something so that it becomes a topic on Cruise Critical.

Guest maddycat

We don't tip in advance and our stateroom attendant always keeps our ice bucket filled.

Princess offers complimentary bar set up if cruising in a full suite. If you happen to be a Platinum or Elite card holder you get another bar set up for that...making two if you are booked in a suite. You can also preorder hard liquor before you board or order it from room service after boarding. They are small bottles and overpriced but its a cruise and expected. You can also order a bucket of beer from room service and have it delivered to your room.

We are in an OS so for a vodka tonic or wine we can hop across the hall and get one in the Concierge Lounge at the appropriate hours. For me I prefer not to have to do that but RCCL has "odd" rules compared to other lines...one reason of many we rarely cruise RCCL. I'll board and after unpacking I'll go to a bar, order a bucket of beer, take it to my room and place it in my cleaned out frig. That way when I want to have a beer on my balcony during sailaways its there. I'll let both room service and my cabin attendant know where the "frig stuff" is and that I'll put it back on last night.

Bringing Booze Onboard

Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: Passengers can bring a maximum of two bottles of wine per cabin during embarkation. Bottles must be 750 ml each or smaller, and passengers who want to drink their wine in public spaces such as bars or restaurants must pay a $25 corkage fee per bottle. Each bottle must retain the original manufacturer's seal and exhibit no signs of tampering.

News to me! Thanks for sharing. I will be bringing a couple bottles of wine with me in August :)

He said he'd "go confront him about it." "Confront" generally doesn't imply $$$.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Oops! Missed the boat on that one. Remembered "friendly" only.

Princess offers complimentary bar set up if cruising in a full suite. If you happen to be a Platinum or Elite card holder you get another bar set up for that...making two if you are booked in a suite. You can also preorder hard liquor before you board or order it from room service after boarding. They are small bottles and overpriced but its a cruise and expected. You can also order a bucket of beer from room service and have it delivered to your room.

We are in an OS so for a vodka tonic or wine we can hop across the hall and get one in the Concierge Lounge at the appropriate hours. For me I prefer not to have to do that but RCCL has "odd" rules compared to other lines...one reason of many we rarely cruise RCCL. I'll board and after unpacking I'll go to a bar, order a bucket of beer, take it to my room and place it in my cleaned out frig. That way when I want to have a beer on my balcony during sailaways its there. I'll let both room service and my cabin attendant know where the "frig stuff" is and that I'll put it back on last night.

Platinum on Princess does not get bar setup. I am Platinum and have never received it. Is this something new. Thanks

Sorry about that...it is Elite and full suites. We sailed the 14 night Hawaii on the Star Princess in January. Booked a suite. We got two bar set ups...one for the suite, one for being Elite. Shortly after boarding we had room service exchange the hard liquor for beer and bottled water. This is a nice perk on Princess. Also, we cruise Princess a lot and have for years. I like to get a few local beers on the islands/places we visit. As long as I bring back 1-3 beers (in my backpack) they have never taken/removed it. And they do xray bags when to reboard at a port. And that isn't just the Star, I've done this for years and never have a problem. But I've seen many 6 packs taken and held until the cruise completes. Princess also offers one complimentary dining at one of the specialty restaurants for full suites. Its on the first night but still a nice perk. Love Princess but love Radiance class ships. Any cruise is a good cruise!!