looking for advice - Chicago to Toronto

odysee

My young daughter working temporarily in Chicago has possibility to go for job interview in Toronto. However has tight budget and needs to go over Memorial weekend - flying Chicago-Toronto on Thursday night or Friday morning May 23, returning May 26.

Cheapest we ve been able to find ca. USD 850. Any ideas for something better ?

Edited by odysee

My young daughter working temporarily in Chicago has possibility to go for job interview in Toronto. However has tight budget and needs to go over Memorial weekend - flying Chicago-Toronto on Thursday night or Friday morning May 23, returning May 26.

Cheapest we ve been able to find ca. USD 850. Any ideas for something better ?

I'm not seeing much cheaper than that, unfortunately. Canada is often expensive to fly to in the beginning. Add a relatively last minute flight and a holiday weekend, and voila. ITA Matrix is a good place to check, but I'm not seeing anything really lower than that - including ORD and MDW to both YYZ (the big airport in Toronto) and YTZ (the secondary airport)

I fly that route all the time and it's never cheap. If you can, take a look at flying into/out of Milwaukee (MKE).

It still won't be cheap given the long weekend and short notice but it should still save you a few $.

It is roughly an eight hour drive; is it possible for her to drive instead of fly if money is a concern?

Driving is definitely a possibility. It won't be fun, I've done it, but it's not too bad, and will save a ton.

I fly that route all the time and it's never cheap. If you can, take a look at flying into/out of Milwaukee (MKE).

It still won't be cheap given the long weekend and short notice but it should still save you a few $.

It looks like Milwaukee might be a couple hundred dollars less. ITA Matrix is showing fares starting at $642. Worth a check. Even with a train ticket or drive up to MKE, it will save a bit if price is the #1 concern.

Do act fast, though. When I checked a few hours ago, lowest fare on Chicago to Toronto was $842. Now it's $890. It's going up fast.

Edited by Zach1213

Thanks a lot for all your good tips. She will have to decide if she has a real chance for that job and than will have to bite the bullet!

Price is a concern as she is in her first temporary job, but maybe the parents will chip in (again) :rolleyes:.

Twickenham - where did you see that rate for Buffalo ?

Edited by odysee

Thanks a lot for all your good tips. She will have to decide if she has a real chance for that job and than will have to bite the bullet!

Price is a concern as she is in her first temporary job, but maybe the parents will chip in (again) :rolleyes:.

Twickenham - where did you see that rate for Buffalo ?

Did a quick search of http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ - you can't buy tickets on the site but it gives you a good idea of what's out there to then purchase directly from the airlines.

Have you checked Greyhound? While the trip might be a bit long and painful it looks like a return trip is less than $150. If she's technically a student she may even get a reduced price.

In looking at their schedule there are lots of options. Trip looks like it takes 11-12 hrs.

She's booked now on Air Canada first morning flights Fri to Tue, via Cheapoair for ca. USD 680. On Air Canada and United website same flights were over USD 1'000 at same time of looking. Strange enough when I looked yesterday before posting on this blog, Cheapoair did not bring these flights with this price either.

I know the caveats from reading this blog ..... and I can almost see some of you throw up your hands :eek:!

In worst case scenario - if flights would be cancelled with no possibility to fly before lunch so she could not get to Toronto office on time and hence decides not to fly at all as person she is supposed to see is not in on Monday, would Air Canada refund something as EU airlines are having to by law ?

Edited by odysee

In worst case scenario - if flights would be cancelled with no possibility to fly before lunch so she could not get to Toronto office on time and hence decides not to fly at all as person she is supposed to see is not in on Monday, would Air Canada refund something as EU airlines are having to by law ?

In a word.....

NO

Or should I say that is a 90%+ estimate. EVERYTHING depends upon the fare rules of the ticket she purchased.

She did read the fare rules before buying, right?? Or is that answer "no" as well?

Although it is too late for the OP who has already booked, there are frequent flyer seats available on AA on flights that would suit on those days. Round trip is 25,000 AA miles and $132.00 or half for one way. This is always worth checking if you have the miles even when fares are through the roof.

Edited by turtlemichael

In a word.....

NO

Or should I say that is a 90%+ estimate. EVERYTHING depends upon the fare rules of the ticket she purchased.

She did read the fare rules before buying, right?? Or is that answer "no" as well?

Same rules for these Air Canada tickets purchased through Cheapoair as for the "tango" rates purchased directly from airline ; non refundable, non changeable, etc.

However in Europe the law protects you nevertheless and there is a compensation to be paid for flight delays over 2 or 3 hours or cancellations, if certain criteria are met (airline problems, etc.) even for cheapest non refundable tickets . Just wanted to find out if something similar exists in US/Canada.

Thanks to all of you who offered advice.

Edited by odysee

However in Europe the law protects you nevertheless and there is a compensation to be paid for flight delays over 2 or 3 hours or cancellations, if certain criteria are met (airline problems, etc.) even for cheapest non refundable tickets . Just wanted to find out if something similar exists in US/Canada.

Yes, to some extent there is - But that's not what you asked. You said if SHE decided to cancel would there be any reimbursement, and the answer is basically No!! The airline didn't promise to get you there on time, just to get you there.