First time in Alaska - Princess or RCCL - Seattle roundtrip or one way

prchoudh

This is my first time to Alaska although, i have been on multiple ships in the past. I would like to stay away from Carnival but, I am trying to decide between Princess or RCCL and whether to do a Seattle roundtrip or a 1 way cruise. We will be going in the middle of July and it would be my wife and myself. We are both in our 40's.

What do you suggest for an Alaskan cruise?

Any specific excursions that will not break the bank (I would love to see the dog sled area but that excursion seems way to expensive)

I would definitely choose Princess! They are one of the best cruise lines for Alaska. The one way voyages (Northbound and Southbound) are the best! You'll see the most in a week. I would go on either the Coral or Island Princess North or South Voyage. I've been to Alaska with Princess on the Island and it was incredible! Going again this summer in the beginning of July on the Coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My preference would also be for Princess, however, if you like the loud party vibe of your previous Carnival cruises then RCL may be more to your liking, even though both are going to be somewhat subdued on Alaskan itineraries. The Princess vibe is definitely quieter. As for itineraries both are great and quite different, so I suggest doing some research and figure on the varieties you don't choose to be future considerations.

My preference would also be for Princess' date=' however, if you like the loud party vibe of your previous Carnival cruises then RCL may be more to your liking, even though both are going to be somewhat subdued on Alaskan itineraries. The Princess vibe is definitely quieter. As for itineraries both are great and quite different, so I suggest doing some research and figure on the varieties you don't choose to be future considerations.[/quote']

My last cruise was on Carnival and I had a party train next to me. They would slam each other into the walls and then when security would come to quiet them down, they would move to some other cabin to party there and then move back. It never ended for the entire stay. That was when I said enough was enough. I like my sleep at night and not have to worry about the party people.

I would definitely choose Princess! They are one of the best cruise lines for Alaska. The one way voyages (Northbound and Southbound) are the best! You'll see the most in a week. I would go on either the Coral or Island Princess North or South Voyage. I've been to Alaska with Princess on the Island and it was incredible! Going again this summer in the beginning of July on the Coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with Cruising Coral 100%. We've only done the Southbound. Coral and Island are our favorites, too! Love the forward "secret" decks for viewing wildlife, scenery, etc. The only negative is the LONG and somewhat expensive flight to Anchorage from Dallas, but we do enjoy staying a night or two at the economical Comfort Inn Ship Creek in Anchorage and very much enjoy riding the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage into Whitter--a nice way to start the cruise!

Don't rule out HAL. They are not the floating nursing home that they are reported to be. Sure, they're not for everyone but they may be a fit for you.

In Alaska, I would choose by itinerary over cruiseline. If you want to go to Glacier Bay, it would be HAL, Princess or NCL.

Once you narrow down what sights/ports you want to see, then check out the cruiseline to see if it fits you.

Basically, research, research & more research!

My last cruise was on Carnival and I had a party train next to me. They would slam each other into the walls and then when security would come to quiet them down, they would move to some other cabin to party there and then move back. It never ended for the entire stay. That was when I said enough was enough. I like my sleep at night and not have to worry about the party people.

You won't experience this on Carnival in Alaska. It will be mostly older people and families. There won't be rowdy pool games or wild drunken parties. BUT, I do agree that Princess is great in Alaska!

I'd choose a cruise that includes Glacier Bay. After that, whoever has the best price.

If you can add some extra days, I'd go for a one-way trip in order to do some land travel. Maybe rent a car and visit Denali or explore locations on the Kenai Peninsula.

You'll find lots of trip reports in the STICKY above. Go to reply #45 where they're sorted by cruiseline. You'll find great ideas for excursions, activities. etc

This is my first time to Alaska although, i have been on multiple ships in the past. I would like to stay away from Carnival but, I am trying to decide between Princess or RCCL and whether to do a Seattle roundtrip or a 1 way cruise. We will be going in the middle of July and it would be my wife and myself. We are both in our 40's.

What do you suggest for an Alaskan cruise?

Any specific excursions that will not break the bank (I would love to see the dog sled area but that excursion seems way to expensive)

Princess Cruises has a great variety of cruises for Alaska on 7 thru 14 day cruise itineraries. We did the 14-day Voyage of the Glaciers cruise on the Sapphire Princess and loved it.........saw over 24 glaciers during round-trip from Vancouver ........but I don't see the Sapphire in Alaska for 2014.......there are 6 or 7 Princess ships tho to choose from with different itineraries thru Alaska.

Which ever Princess ship......the service is fantastic and friendly!

My preference would also be for Princess' date=' however, if you like the loud party vibe of your previous Carnival cruises then RCL may be more to your liking, even though both are going to be somewhat subdued on Alaskan itineraries. The Princess vibe is definitely quieter. As for itineraries both are great and quite different, so I suggest doing some research and figure on the varieties you don't choose to be future considerations.[/quote']

Comparing RCI to a "loud party vibe" tells me you haven't been on an RCI ship in Alaska..After sailing for many years to many itineraries with RCI we wanted to try PCL when the newly refurbished Sapphire sailed a couple of years ago...sorry but we were personally disappointed....but agree each has to make their own choices since what's great for other's may not work out to be the same for you.

To the OP..consider a northbound regardless of cruiseline and enjoy Alaska..We're getting ready to sail RCI Radiance for the third time May 30th.