Propping verandah door open at night on Alaskan Cruise

uilleann

I like it cold in a bedroom at night. And I love the sound of the ocean. So I was thinking of propping the verandah door open a small amount at night.

Well a little searching on this and other forums I find out this subject is almost as bad as smoking, formal wear, and wine allowances.

Some claim that the closed doors allow for positive pressure in the room in event of a fire, less drag on the ship for more efficient cruising, and efficient use of the ships hvac system. Also it keeps muggers (seriously) and birds out.

But since I like to push back on rules if it make my trip more fun....

Most of the complaints about this seemed to be that it hinders the AC from working for other neighboring cabins. But in AK I dont think the AC will be needed.

I was wondering that if I duct taped the vents at night and opened the doors just a bit..... I might get the coolness, hear the ocean, keep the animals out (still have the muggers), not affect other cabins because my room vents are covered... but still be at risk for fire?

I wonder if I can avoid rude comments to this post?

We used our AC every day in Alaska. I know I would not have liked it if the HVAC had problems because someone didn't follow guidelines. Enjoy time out on your balcony listening to the waves and keep the door closed as asked. This way EVERYONE gets to enjoy their cruise. Have fun! Alaska is beautiful.

I like it cold in a bedroom at night. And I love the sound of the ocean. So I was thinking of propping the verandah door open a small amount at night.

Well a little searching on this and other forums I find out this subject is almost as bad as smoking, formal wear, and wine allowances.

Some claim that the closed doors allow for positive pressure in the room in event of a fire, less drag on the ship for more efficient cruising, and efficient use of the ships hvac system. Also it keeps muggers (seriously) and birds out.

Most of the complaints about this seemed to be that it hinders the AC from working for other neighboring cabins. But in AK I dont think the AC will be needed.

I was wondering that if I duct taped the vents at night and opened the doors just a bit..... I might get the coolness, hear the ocean, keep the animals out (still have the muggers), not affect other cabins because my room vents are covered... but still be at risk for fire?

I copied this a while ago, posted by someone who has knowledge about the ship's AC systems. And, while it says "AC", it also pertains to the heating system (since they are opposite temperature ends of the same process).

All modern cruise ships are designed with many fire safety features to save your life in case there is a fire onboard.

One of those features is air pressure.

Cruise ship cabins are designed to have a slightly higher air pressure inside the cabin than outside the cabin. If there is as fire outside your cabin, the over-pressure inside will cause smoke and flames to move away from your cabin rather than move into it.

This system works great until you or your neighbors open the balcony door.

With the balcony door open, the air pressure drops in your cabin. The A/C system is designed to compensate for the lower air pressure by pulling air pressure from your neighbors' cabins into yours. This also pulls the cool air from their cabins into yours. And if your neighbors are smokers, it also pulls their smoke into your cabin.

The problem is that with your balcony door open, the A/C system never is able to compensate for the lower pressure. It keeps pulling more and more air from your neighbors, trying to compensate for your cabin. That's when all your neighbors start calling the front desk to complain that their A/C is not working properly.

A few cruise lines tried to counteract this problem by installing magnetic switches on the balcony doors. These magnetic switches automatically turned off ventilation to the cabins that left their doors open, making it safer and more comfortable for those smart enough to read and follow the signs on the door asking them to keep it closed.

Then some genius on Cruisecritic found a way to circumvent the system by placing a small magnet near the magnetic switch on the door, making his neighbors uncomfortable and less safe, but ensuring he could leave his balcony door open and have A/C at the same time.

The cruise lines gave up and removed the magnetic switches. Now you can leave your door open and ruin your neighbors' cruise without the help of the magnet.

So, if you need it cooler, then just set the temperature on your thermostat in the room for "cold", please don't leave your verandah door open.

Please follow HAL's request and DO NOT block open your door, day or night. There are multiple reasons for that request and none of them are to make the cruise "difficult" for YOU! They have to think about the OVERALL ship comfort and safety. Most of the time (unless your cabin or area are experience HVAC problems) you can simply adjust you individual cabin temperature for night vs day. Most of the time that is very easy and has worked for us on hundreds of days of sailing on HAL.

I have also slept on the balcony a number of times, although not in Alaska. For that I would have needed a hefty sleeping bag - which I do not bring with me.

PS - Hertz Von-S, It is the performance of the ship's HVAC system NOT the overall ship's performance. (In case HVAC is not a common term in the UK, it means the heating and air condition system or systems. In the US most newer homes have one unit that does both, depending on the individual settings.)

Edited by wander

I've wondered about that myself, and have noticed that in Fort Lauderdale, on the big cruise ships with the sliding glass doors on their balconies people often have their doors open during the sail-away. It doesn't seem fair - if they can do it, why can't we!

Even in Alaska, we use the air conditioning in the cabin.

So if you were our neighbors, I would appreciate it if you kindly keep your verandah door closed so that we can sleep in a cool environment.

Thank you.

I'm intrigued as to how propping open a cabin door caused drag on the ships performance......

great thread by the way. :D

Where I read it they actually were refering to wind drag on the ship... I think that this might be a bunch of houey (sp?). From my days of Astronautical engineering..... Drag is caused by friction and pressure. Any changes in pressure on the side of the ship will have no affect on drag. Only in the bow or stren. But one theory would be that the air rushing past an open door creates a vacuum disturbing the flow and ultimately creating turbulence at that location. That turbulence could create a purtibation in the overall near laminar flow over the sides of the ship and that could cause added frictional drag. On the other hand.... a golf ball has dimples in it with about the same result. It creates a turbulent bounary layer (this was actually on one of my masters finals). That layer would have less friction. Therefore ball has less drag and it goes further. In fact I am also aware of some subsonic planes where they inject air into the leading edge to reduce drag. Much like the positive pressure in our cruise cabins may positively affect the boudary larger near our cabin making the ship more efficient.

You must be going to a different Alaska than I went to. When we were on our 14 day Amsterdam cruise in May 2011 I couldn't stand being outside in my 4 layers: long underwear, sweatshirt, fleece jacket, waterproof coat. And that was after dinner time, not late night time. In my sleepwear, no way! :eek:

Enjoy you cruise. I wish my current health permitted flying - I'd be doing the 14 day trip again this year.

It would be nice to hear the sound of the ocean in the room at night with the door closed and the room dark for sleeping. Is there a way to hear the ocean in real time even in a temperature controlled room?

It would be nice to hear the sound of the ocean in the room at night with the door closed and the room dark for sleeping. Is there a way to hear the ocean in real time even in a temperature controlled room?

Some sort of sound machine or ap?

We turned our A/C down very low. Around 16c - we had to ask for extra blankets.

I must admit I prefer to sleep in fresh air but as that was not an option this was the next best thing. I did end up with an Upper Respiratory Tract infection by the last day (which I am convinced was caused by sharing air around tHe ship).

Hi

I am stunned to read that people do not care about fellow cruises and dispite the notices in thier room NOT to leave thier balconey doors open. I am sure they will be the first one to complain when there is smoke in thier room because someone smoking on a balcony. They also will be first if no heat or A/C in thier room. Not to original poster I just guess people don't care they paid thier money and they are going to do what they want. The want to hear the ocean why SLEEPING the rest of nearby cabins have no a/c heat,, BUt they fell alseep listing the the ocean.. They had a grgeat time What A shame some of have become.

Mary

Hi

I wonder how these people who keep thier balcony doors opened if the cabins around them Banged on thier door waking them up. or call them and ask do you hear the ocean?? Is your cabin warm,/cool.. We we can't sleep in ours because your balcony door is opened.

The other cabins on HVAC with yours do not necessarily have verandas so if their heat or AC is affected, they don't have the option of opening a door.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by PatsyAnne

Some sort of sound machine or ap?

We use a Marsonna Sound Conditioner for the white noise feature to make every room we occupy sound just like home. The conditioner has a number of settings to include surf, waterfalls, crickets, etc.

I've wondered about that myself, and have noticed that in Fort Lauderdale, on the big cruise ships with the sliding glass doors on their balconies people often have their doors open during the sail-away. It doesn't seem fair - if they can do it, why can't we!

Just because they're open doesn't mean they're supposed to be. My guess is those "big cruise ships" also have the same "Please keep balcony door closed" signs on them. And clearly the same type of people who have the "it's my vacation" mindset and lack of respect for their fellow cruisers.

To answer your last point first, you said you did a search and found this is a hot button issue, which means that your proposed actions are probably rude. But I suspect you knew that already and just want someone to say you're not being rude. Sorry, I'm not going to be that person. Leaving your balcony door open is being rude, and as such it deserves rude answers.

Just because YOU do not think A/C will be needed in Alaska does not mean everyone feels the same. People have a range of what they consider "comfortable" and what's chilly to you may be hot to them. Please be considerate, though with the question, it's hard to imagine you having any desire to be.

I am sure there are plenty of land-based hotels or rental properties with balconies on the water in Alaska where you can leave your door open at night to hear the ocean waves and get the breeze. My advice would be that you check those out instead of a cruise.

I live 5K from the ocean and I can hear the waves crashing at night in my house with the windows closed. I am fairly certain you'll be able to hear the waves in your cabin with the door closed, but if you're having trouble, it may help to turn off the TV and be quiet.

Just because they're open doesn't mean they're supposed to be. My guess is those "big cruise ships" also have the same "Please keep balcony door closed" signs on them. And clearly the same type of people who have the "it's my vacation" mindset and lack of respect for their fellow cruisers.

Agree - but I guess you aren't allowed an opinion about the people who are all about themselves. It would hurt their feelings. You see that all the time on these boards - the rules say this - but they don't apply to me because [i'm in a xyz suite; member of ABC club; blah blah blah]

Hopefully my cruise won't be full of the entitled ....or keep my sense of humor... or my mouth shut!:rolleyes:

We travelled the Med a couple of years ago on Celebrity, it was in October. We were in an inside cabin on the 8th deck near the front of the ship. Around 2 a.m. we were awakened by a high pitched whistle and is was so bad we went out of our cabin to find out what the noise was. No doors were open, but this high pitched whistling sound was coming from one or more of the verandah cabins...it was almost impossible to get back to sleep. This continued during the next sea day, and we asked our cabin steward what on earth was causing it, and he said that someone was leaving their verandah door open and that was creating the whistle effect. There was also the smell of cigarette smoke. Enough people must have complained, because it did stop after a day or two, but it was not a pleasant experience while it lasted.

We are just about to go on another Med cruise, different ship, different line and I do hope our fellow passengers will consider the comfort of other people as well as their own.

You're probably right! But I've seen a lot of doors open.:eek:

But if I put duct tape over the cabin vent then the other cabins won't be affected right. I would be isolating our cabin from the system right? And that is why I asked.

BTW. I have found no one that has asked this question. I mentioned the other complaints to let other readers know that I was aware of the issues. In other words there is no reason to flame me. Of course many or most of you have ignored this and just piled on. Really nice of you all to do that.

I have to assume that no one knows the answer to my question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD