Inaugural Tahiti Cruise and Trans-Pacific

Strenz

I have submitted to Cruise Critic my review. If they do not publish it I will write it on the forum. It was terrific in every way. If anyone has questions let me know. Happy Cruising Susanne

I have submitted to Cruise Critic my review. If they do not publish it I will write it on the forum. It was terrific in every way. If anyone has questions let me know. Happy Cruising Susanne

Lots of us are waiting to read your review. Especially those of us that are sailing this year in Tahiti about the Windspirit.

Just wondering, have you done a transatlantic and if so, how do they compare. I was originally on the trans-pacific, but some other plans came up and I switched to the fall transatlantic.

Roy

Hi, We have done 2 Trans-Atlantics, one each way. Europe to Caribbean is warmer. We loved them both and of course one always takes a chance with weather and the Atlantic. We had both ways gentle seas and we loved it. Going fromN. America to Europe after a week it becomes colder you will need a wind proof jacket. During crossings you need to be able to entertain yourself for there are some activities but not a lot. For us it is total relaxation and getting caught up in all our readings. On the Pacific crossing we did some of our art work. The crossings you really feel it is a private yacht. Both Atlantics we were on the Surf one crossing had 70 people and one about 110 people. Many of the crossing people just do crossings time and again.People bring art work, play cards, read, needlepoint, puzzles etc. I say we are all in a beautiful coma it is so relaxing. Hope this helps. Happy Sailing. Susanne

The crossing and the cruise were terrific. Each different but each wonderful. I wrote and submitted the review last night just waiting for the acceptance. Happy Cruising Susanne

We are all waiting to read your review on this Tahiti cruise aboard a Windstar ship I had no idea it took this long for CC to publish reviews after they are submitted. Maybe you can give us a few tidbits while we wait:D.

I sent it in Wed. On the email they said they have to approve it , and normal time is 3-5 days to post. if it is not up this weekend I will post it in this forum.Susanne

We are not much group tour types but since we crossed and were out of total comminucstion for 19 days and I knew the internet was challenging in Tahiti we decided to take the Ship's tours. We took the dolphin watching with the expert Michael Poole out of Moorea and that was wonderful, we saw/learned about spinner dolphins and it was exciting, incredible and Mr. Poole was a wonderful teacher. Hightly recommend. Everyone in Moorea recommends Ron Halls Pearls well,I found him totally over priced and incredibly arrogant. Beware, his pearl school is about how great he is and how awful every pearl dealer in Tahiti is. Bora Bora shops were half the price and that was supposed to be the most expensive place. I do not know why Ron Hall is recommended by Wind Star. In Bora Bora we took a great snorkel with the sting rays and extended snorkel, it was superb, comfortable boat, they emphasized safety, we swam with the gentle rays, the black fin sharks thankfully ignored us but were right there it was funny and the snorkeling was tremendous. Great trip. We took a small tour around Bora Bora I did not like it but it was me the people really tried, going around in a tour bus just does not interest me. On Huahine we took a wondeful tour of the sacred sites which I loved it was intellectual, Paul was a thrilling teacher, I am fascinated by the ancients and this type of information was exactly what I like, we hiked up a hill to see the best of the ancient sites and it was glorious. The ship offered 2 motu visits they were great,wonderful swimming and snorkeling.

Lots to see and do. We loved it. Generous cruise. Happy Sailing Susanne

I have bought well over a 100 black pearls over the years ........

IMO, a few of the best and most reasonable pearl experts are both on Moorea. There are cheaper places but both these fine boutique pearl shops have extremely knowledgeable owners who are very fair.

http://evapearls.com/

http://eimeofinejewelry.com/

Hi Takiintahiti, I loved reading your posts on CC ports of call, all very helpful. I found my pearl through a friend who is a physican in Papeete. I think the pearls are gorgeous. I found Ron Hall to be a bit too arrogant. I loved every second and everything about Tahiti, wonderful time on every level. I just wish it was closer to Massachusetts. Happy Traveling. Susanne

Hi Takiintahiti, I loved reading your posts on CC ports of call, all very helpful. I found my pearl through a friend who is a physican in Papeete. I think the pearls are gorgeous. I found Ron Hall to be a bit too arrogant. I loved every second and everything about Tahiti, wonderful time on every level. I just wish it was closer to Massachusetts. Happy Traveling. Susanne

Ron has his following but I'm not one of them.

BTW, I was stationed at Ft Devens, MS in the mid 70's .............

It's only 8 hours for us to go to French Polynesia :D

Will be interesting how this ship does in FP, I'm a big supporter of the PG but competition is always good for the consumer ......

Susanne,

We are on an August sailing in Tahiti and are anxiously waiting on your review to be published. Do you mention anything about when/where the water sports platform is used? This is our first cruise in Tahiti, is there anything that you would bring on a Tahitian cruise that you might not bring on an other cruise in a different locale, eg. insect repellant?

Thanks for continuing to post and answer questions for all of us future Wind Spirit passengers!

Hi, CC seems to be taking their time in submitting my review. If it is not on by Monday I will put in the forums. The water sports platform is open on all days we are not docked ( 1 Raiatea ) and not on motu days Taaha and one day in Bora Bora but believe me you will want to swim on motus. However, this is weather dependent, we did not have it open on Bora Bora because day 1 we had rain,rough seas and heavy winds, the rain lasted 1 hour in the am but the winds were heavy. Motu swimming and snorkeling was the best. Waist and chest deep waters, crystal clear, warm, beautiful fish and coral gardens. Tahiti was hot and humid but I think August will be less humid.You HAVE to have closed toe water shoes becase of the coral bad sea urchins, you can get easily cut, I brought a special mosquito repellent and I am a mosquito magnet but did need to not use it. Lots of sun screen is in order I brought 70 and I still got red. Otherwise cool clothes, at least 2 bathing suits, we did not bring our snorkel equipment but were very happy with the Ship's. Great trip, loved every second, a busy cruise with lots to do and see. Happy Windstaring Susanne

Hi Susanne,

We're leaving for this trip on Saturday ... First time to FP, second time on Wind Spirit. Thanks for your (and everyone else's!) advice. We're looking forward to it with great anticipation. Hoping your review shows up before then, but it sounds like you had a wonderful cruise. We'll be staying 5 days before on Moorea at Fenua Mata'i'oa and two days after at Intercontinental Tahiti. Got Bruno lined up in Tahaa and Reef Discovery in BB. Other than that, we like to explore on our own. Has the Zika scare dissipated?

Dave

Cruise Critic is very slow so I posted my entire review on forums it is the other inaugural Tahiti and Pacific Crossing under Strenz . I sent it to CC last Wed. Who knows? Have a great stay, we enjoyed the Intercontinental enormously, great swimming and a lovely setting. Have a great time, I know you will. Let us know you come back. Susanne

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the thread in prep for our Aug 1 sailing to Tahiti. In response to comment about closed toe water shoes... The last time we were in FP I think my hubby only took Teva sandals for water. We use fins when necessary so where did you feel closed toes necessary?

Wind star doesn't list the motu at Tahaa although it is pictured on blog. Anyone know if that is done on every Tahiti cruise? If we do the drift snorkel will we still have plenty of time to enjoy motu?

Is there a problem with scheduling the Hobie cats and kayaks etc or are there plenty for the demand?

Thanks for advice.

I thought water shoes were very important especially for the drift snorkel for people did get cut. Also people got cut on the motu in the water. I do believe the motu day is always off Tahaa. They rent another motu off Bora Bora which is where the fire dancing and Tahitian barbecue is and you can spend the on it as well. The Tahaa motu is where the picnic is and they leave about 2 for the lagoon sail to Raiatea which was glorious. It was a generous, busy cruise. Have fun. Susanne

If we do the drift snorkel at Tahaa will there still be time to enjoy the motu if we leave that early? We have done the drift before there and loved it so have booked it already.

Did you or anyone you know do the motu picnic on Huahine? We did one in 2005 and loved it but wonder if the expense is worth it on this one. We have already toured all the islands but want snorkeling at every point this time. Thanks for your help. No one else has posted reviews yet from this itinerary.

We are sailing July 4th and are spending a few days at the Hilton before the cruise. Des anyone know if I should bring my own snorkeling stuff to the hotel or on the cruise. Is there equipment available on the ship and is there enough and is it in good shape? I am also interested in finding out anything else about the excursions. I am not sure how many to book and which ones are good. I am leaning towards the Discover Scuba, Jet Skis and Huahine moto picnic. Thanks for any information!

Hi again,

1. I do not know when the drift snorkeling gets back. I snorkeled and swam all day on the motu,it was great. I only came in to have lunch and have a rum drink out of a coconut, delicious. It appeared that there was not problem with the kayaks and sail boats for most people were in the water. Lots of beach, shade, clean public toilets, was a great day.

2. The ship has good, clean snorkel equipment and fins in all sizes. Since I never check bags I use the ship's equipment.

3. We are not tour people but there were things I wanted to do so we reserved on the ship. We were on the crossing before the cruise and we had no internet for 19 days I did not make other arrangements for I could not be reached. I did not think the Ship's tours were out of line price wise and I thought they were of excellent quality. We took Michael Poole' Spinner Dolphin Tour, excellent, Swimming and snorkeling with the sting rays and black fin sharks outstanding and in Huahine the Sacred Sites, I love the ancients, I have been to Easter Island and Hawaii so I wanted to learn and compete the Polynesian Triangle, it was thrilling and Paul was an excellent lecturer. The stern of the ship was open to swim off of in Huahine and this tour got back later than expected so I did not get to swim off it but for me it was fine because I learned so much about the ancient peoples.

This was a busy, generous cruise. Have fun. Susanne