What to Do With Cold & Rainy Weather

sjmbruce

I am well aware of Alaska's weather..... and the forecast for my cruise week is colder with rain every day. That's what I expected, but I am still kind of bummed. Please reassure me and tell me that I will still have a great time and see plenty of beauty :)

Start with the fact that even if your cruise is tomorrow, the weather forecast means nothing. Absolutely nothing. There is lots to do regardless of the weather. Unless you only pack flip-flops and shorts - then your trip might suck.

I am well aware of Alaska's weather..... and the forecast for my cruise week is colder with rain every day. That's what I expected, but I am still kind of bummed. Please reassure me and tell me that I will still have a great time and see plenty of beauty :)

I think the Alaskans forecast rain everyday so that they can have a reason to celebrate when they receive sunshine.

Wildlife (eagles, whales, otters, bears, and salmon), glaciers, and sightseeing do not stop because of liquid sunshine. Your camera will capture the beauty and when you return home, you can digitally improve the brightness of your pictures.

Enjoy the on board food, excellent service, and on board activities, too.

First of all, they might not be worth the paper they are printed on. My first cruise in Alaska was in May. They initial forecast? Very chilly and probably wet most days. Guess what? I was in shorts in Skagway with bright sun. In fact, the only rain we saw in the 10 days was a sprinkle coming into Juneau and it stopped before we completed docking.

As others noted, don't sweat it. Layer (with rainproof - but breathable - on top) and get out and enjoy. Sun, cloudy, rain, hot, chilly, it doesn't matter. The charm of Alaska is in the scenery, the wildlife, the history, and especially its people. Get out and have fun.

Have a great cruise.

We had the same forecast for our trip last summer. The only time it was really cold was when we were at the glacier and it was a bit misty. The only time it actually rained was in Ketchikan and that was sort of off and on. The rest of the time it was warm and sunny and we were wishing we had shorts in our backpacks instead of jackets.

Alaska is beautiful and I'm so jealous of everyone who's going this year. :) We thought it would be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, but we need to go back. You will have a wonderful time and see wonderful things and meet wonderful people. No worries.

Sounds like the forecast we had last year which prompted me to pack for three seasons! Ended up having a sunny heat wave with record high temps! I didn't end up needing half the clothes I brought. Not saying that's going to happen for you though so be prepared. Anyway, we were told that the glaciers calve more when it's raining so we never got to see one calve! If your forecast is correct, better chance of calving!:)

Even the day before, a weather forecast isn't necessarily accurate. On my last trip the forecast was for good weather, but we had 12 days of rain. Actually the rain wasn't too impactful; you can still see and do things in the rain. Our problem was with heavy winds which can have a big affect on activities.

And don't take an umbrella. It's awkward to deal with in crowds and you'll want hands free for photos etc. If you don't have a hooded jacket, use a waterproof cap.

This will be my 3rd Alaskan cruise.

All in May, or the 1st week of June.

It was sunny in Seattle, and ALL the ports, with maybe a little sprinkle in Skagway. Even Ketchikan was sunny :)

I am hoping beyond hope, that I can have that experience again 10 days from now.

Think of Alaska as Hawaii, just colder. In Hawaii it will rain somewhere every day. In Alaska it will also rain somewhere every day, that's why it is so beautiful.

Take your rain gear and layer (rain jacket and pants work best for me but I go almost every summer). I don't recommend an umbrella as it can also be very windy when it rains.

As others have stated, just bring layers and you will be fine.

All I know is, in 3 days I'm going to be on a cruise to Alaska! I will not have to be at work, or dealing with my long commute, no housework for a week. A whole week away from the daily grind. I am going to have a wonderful time regardless of the weather and not fret about things I can't control.

That being said, I probably shouldn't have just tortured myself by looking ahead to the weather forecast for Glacier Bay (which as of now is supposed to be sunny and 76 next Thursday) because I know it can change quickly, and of course that would be wonderful if it is sunny. But even if it is raining, how can I not be having fun on a cruise to Alaska? :)

Enjoy your cruises everyone!

Sounds like the forecast we had last year which prompted me to pack for three seasons! Ended up having a sunny heat wave with record high temps! I didn't end up needing half the clothes I brought. Not saying that's going to happen for you though so be prepared. Anyway, we were told that the glaciers calve more when it's raining so we never got to see one calve! If your forecast is correct, better chance of calving!:)

We went in August 2012 on the Sapphire Princess and the weather was different each day of the 14-day cruise. Cool and damp misty mornings some days, overcast some days, partly cloudy some days........it will vary.

And what PandRBarry stated, Marjerie Glacier in Glacier Bay went crazy with calving since it was light rain and over 20 events during the 3 hours back in the Bay........what a sight to see and to hear!

Southeast Alaska is a temperate rainforest. I always wonder how people miss that part when they are planning their cruises? Bring a good lightweight, breathable rainsuit, leave the umbrella at home, and then get out here and enjoy it. I lived in Ketchikan for 7 years and worked outside the entire time. We never let the rain stop us from doing anything.

Edited by bearbait

thanks everyone! I always get anxious before a big trip and just needed someone else to tell me that it will be fine =)

I always take a ball cap and a gortex top layer for my jacket. I pull the hood up over the ball cap and it has ultimately protected my face from rain/sprinkles when necessary. Only had to use it two days on one cruise and none on the other two cruises.

The weather there is kinda like Michigan...it can change in a matter of minutes, so we don't let it bother us. :)