New HAL Dress Code ?

G&G

So let me get this right. Another guest takes the time to put on a dark pair of jeans (not blue jeans), a dress shirt AND a tie yet this STILL does not meet your interpretation of what is formal dress? Maybe you should have checked his shoes as well? How about whether or not he was wearing socks? And let's make sure the socks matched his jeans! You should be nominated for the position of " Formal Attire Police" and you can stand at the entrance of the MDR and make sure everyone is dressed according to your standards! Some of you are such COWARDS! How about next time you walk right up to a guest and tell them to their face that they are not dressed appropriately for Formal Night. at least according to your standards. Obviously, the guest in question MADE the effort. Get a life!

I wish the HAL employee manning the door would do this

Edited by Wakepatrol

Yes with people dressed in Ball caps wife beaters and sweat pants it's beginning to lose it's luster. It won't be long before they wheel in the taco buffet by the lido pool, deal out red solo cups and paper plates and yell "Dig In"

Which cruise line do you go on?:confused:

So let me get this right. Another guest takes the time to put on a dark pair of jeans (not blue jeans), a dress shirt AND a tie yet this STILL does not meet your interpretation of what is formal dress? Maybe you should have checked his shoes as well? How about whether or not he was wearing socks? And let's make sure the socks matched his jeans! You should be nominated for the position of " Formal Attire Police" and you can stand at the entrance of the MDR and make sure everyone is dressed according to your standards! Some of you are such COWARDS! How about next time you walk right up to a guest and tell them to their face that they are not dressed appropriately for Formal Night. at least according to your standards. Obviously, the guest in question MADE the effort. Get a life!

Chill out a bit .... this is a discussion board. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and a board like this is exactly what that's for.

Just because someone feels that the term on the cruise line's site suggests that "formal" for men means, at the very least, slacks, dress shirt, jacket and tie does not make them "Fashion Police" ..... it only means that they have a personal opinion as to what's appropriate ... just as you have yours.

I find it highly unlikely that any of the folks who define "formal" as the above paragraph would ever be so ill mannered as to comment to someone else on board the ship.

Chill out a bit .... this is a discussion board. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and a board like this is exactly what that's for.

Just because someone feels that the term on the cruise line's site suggests that "formal" for men means, at the very least, slacks, dress shirt, jacket and tie does not make them "Fashion Police" ..... it only means that they have a personal opinion as to what's appropriate ... just as you have yours.

I find it highly unlikely that any of the folks who define "formal" as the above paragraph would ever be so brave as to comment to someone else on board the ship.

Fixed that for you as I'm chillin' out!

BTW the reason the DR staff hates formal nights is because it is a LOT of extra work for them. Has absolutely nothing to do with how the guests dress.They could care less.

I love the mentality of some.

"I Refuse To Dress Up, Therefore I'll Eat In A Cafeteria And Grab My Own Grub On Formal Nights"

Too funny

I just love this statement. :rolleyes: Someone knows there's a dress code and is trying not to offend others' sensibilities, so they choose to go to the Lido. But that's still not good enough for Wakepatrol? My oh my, how silly.

I just love this statement. :rolleyes: Someone knows there's a dress code and is trying not to offend others' sensibilities, so they choose to go to the Lido. But that's still not good enough for Wakepatrol? My oh my, how silly.

It's not a question of "It Isn't Good Enough For Me" as you said

It's that I find eating in a cafeteria on formal night and grabbing my own food funny

I still do:)

Edited by Wakepatrol

BTW the reason the DR staff hates formal nights is because it is a LOT of extra work for them. Has absolutely nothing to do with how the guests dress.They could care less.

I agree that formal nights are a lot of work for the DR staff and for the guests. We shouldn't have them anymore. The art and etiquette of formal dinner is dying. Who cares that you use your utensils from outside in, your bread plate is at 9, your wine glasses are at 2, ladies gets served first, and your waiter serves from the right. Just throw the grub on the table and attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not so sure the MDR staff could (not) care less how guests dress on formal night. Maybe it's a respect thing. Perhaps they find it respectful for guests to make an effort to comply with what HAL has clearly made know is their 'suggestion' for formal night. If one doesn't wish to do that, there are options.

Did MDR staff actually tell you they could (not) care less?

I agree that formal nights are a lot of work for the DR staff and for the guests. We shouldn't have them anymore. The art and etiquette of formal dinner is dying. Who cares that you use your utensils from outside in, your bread plate is at 9, your wine glasses are at 2, ladies gets served first, and your waiter serves from the right. Just throw the grub on the table and attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can see ...... You'd ADORE a Carnival cruise :eek::eek:

PLEASE..... know I am not 'picking a fight with you'. I have no interest in that. I have more than enough grief in my life right now.

[/b]

From other posts I believe I understand. I am sorry; but am encouraged that you have friends to be with you.

Know that hard times pass - and keeping up with interests lends strength.

While I am reading this I have the TV going and just saw the new HAL ad twice in one show. They are really spending the bucks as I see this ad almost daily on all channels. What is interesting is that the people in the ad are pretty dressed up compared to what I am reading here. Is HAL subtly telling us all we need to step up and dress like the folks in the ad? :):):)

I suggest that they use well dressed people in their ads because well dressed people are more attractive than the "people who shop at WalMart"

They are implying IMO, that if you sail with HAL - you will feel like those people instead of the saggybaggypeople in their sweats and jammies.

IMO...formal nights are all about the photographers and the exorbitant prices HAL charges for those formal portraits. So, perhaps I should say, formal night is all about the bottom line.

Edited by Chelly

Hi

I do dress up for formal nights and I never buy any of the photo's. I can get better ones from froiends. I do like dresssing up Now that I am in my late 60's. I have seen very pretty clothes I can wear on a cruise for the MDR and other clothes for formal nights. Some of these clothes I can wear to a wake, furneral, church wedding. or cruise

Mary

I fail to understand why someone complains about how others choose to dress. I do not make how others choose to dress my business.

yes its your choice.. Do you always break rules you don't like.. Do you stop at red lights stop signs. HAl asks theat people who come to the MDR on fomal nights to dress formal. But I guess you want to eat in the MDR and refuse to honor the rules of HAl and fomal nights. Maybe you should go to another cruise line. I hope I am never on a cruise with you since you don't believe in rules

There is only one reason why I am worried about what OTHER people are wearing.....

My husband is a big man. And a cheap one. He does not own a suit. Church duds are dress pants and button down shirt.

So we went shopping. A lot. JC Penney has a big and tall department, and the biggest jacket they had was 52 long. He couldn't get his shoulders into it. The process has been painful, embarrassing, discouraging.

But, this is our trip of a lifetime to Alaska, and he wants to "do it right". He is actually looking foreword of getting out of his comfort zone, and thinks this will make me proud of him. (I already am!)

He loves the western cut suit jackets he as seen, and decided to order one online. I took him to a tux rental shop and got him measured. (cost $5) A nice black jacket is on its way, and we are hoping its a good fit. It is far enough from our sail date in August that we can send back, have altered, etc in time.

After all he has been through, and now has the appropriate clothing, it would be a total let down to see men who have no regard for the "rules".

There is only one reason why I am worried about what OTHER people are wearing.....

My husband is a big man. And a cheap one. He does not own a suit. Church duds are dress pants and button down shirt.

So we went shopping. A lot. JC Penney has a big and tall department, and the biggest jacket they had was 52 long. He couldn't get his shoulders into it. The process has been painful, embarrassing, discouraging.

But, this is our trip of a lifetime to Alaska, and he wants to "do it right". He is actually looking foreword of getting out of his comfort zone, and thinks this will make me proud of him. (I already am!)

He loves the western cut suit jackets he as seen, and decided to order one online. I took him to a tux rental shop and got him measured. (cost $5) A nice black jacket is on its way, and we are hoping its a good fit. It is far enough from our sail date in August that we can send back, have altered, etc in time.

After all he has been through, and now has the appropriate clothing, it would be a total let down to see men who have no regard for the "rules".

This made me a little teary. I bet there will still be some well-dressed men, even if there aren't many - and how awesome that he wants to please you/make you proud.

I know I am going to get flamed. Anyone on a cruise can wash their face, comb their hair and put on a dress...or a nice shirt with pants if they want to eat in the MDR on Formal night.

any man can put on a shirt, a tie, a sweater, long pants, any kind of a coat, or just a shirt and tie and long pants if they want to eat in the MDR on Formal night.

If they can't the wait staff should send them to the Lido Buffet. They can wear their wife beaters up there, show all of their tats and just be casual and so very Kool as long as they want.

No follow the rules........go eat with the rest of the rebels up at the buffet.

Simple.

Some people just like to get attention by being "odd" or a "free spirit".

I have one skirt. one blouse. skirt is sort of long. Material is silky. That outfit has cruised more times than most sailors or so says my husband. Get real. And my second formal night is black leggings with a very sparkly long top. other formal nights if ship has more....Another sparkly top with black leggings. And I have a comb with a black feather on it that I put in my hair and it is fetching if I say so myself.

Edited by AmberTeka

yes its your choice.. Do you always break rules you don't like.. Do you stop at red lights stop signs. HAl asks theat people who come to the MDR on fomal nights to dress formal. But I guess you want to eat in the MDR and refuse to honor the rules of HAl and fomal nights. Maybe you should go to another cruise line. I hope I am never on a cruise with you since you don't believe in rules

My' date=' my a little hostile aren't we? For the record, I [b']choose[/b] to dress in a dark blue blazer, dress shirt with tie, dark grey slacks, and shined shoes. As for my wishing to sail with you, well I certainly do not want to be hostile!:rolleyes:

I have to say I have some great laughs reading these :)

sorry....I sure hope that you are all not serious with all of the posts...they have had me in stitches laughing..:D

Life is too short to take everything too serious, YOLO :)

Edited by akacake

I have to say I have some great laughs reading these :)

sorry....I sure hope that you are all not serious with all of the posts...they have had me in stitches laughing..:D

Life is too short to take everything too serious, YOLO :)

It is refreshing that someone understood my OP, after 146 posts !

All I can say to HAL about Rural Night; "get uh done" :D

I truly have no interest how you or anyone dresses and have made that clear on CC many times.

But I do have an interest why someone would book to sail a cruise line that makes it perfectly clear they expect guests to wear jacket, trousers and tie for gents and commensurately appropriate for women on formal nights. They clearly spell out what is not permitted in MDR for dinner.

Why book a cruise line that 'tells you what to wear' if you don't appreciate being told? :confused: Why would you mind if people notice if you don't comply?

I cannot reconcile booking that cruise line if that is your view.

Thanks if you care to explain.

I think that that really gets to the crux of the matter. I agree entirely, and wish there was a "Like" button.

In the interest of changing the subject, may I present Formal Night 2024:

emuduzyv.jpg

Got to be the most - - oops, is that actually your outfits? I had better say nothing.

Edited by Beejay4016