New HAL Dress Code ?

G&G

I know the "Dress Code" threads have been far too numerous on HAL but I wish to add this one.

We just completed a 29 day cruise on the Statendam. HAL dress code was the standard found on all ships; Smart Casual and Formal. But a comedian, Barnaby, came up with a new dress code for the ship.

He walked onto the stage of the Showroom for his performance, looked into the audience and saw a man in the front row and said;

"You are wearing a cap, a t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. I have heard of Smart Casual and Formal Nights; I did not know this was RURAL NIGHT." :D

He got quite a response !

Needless to say on this cruise was the usually; men wearing t-shirts in the MDR for dining, men wearing shorts and flip-flops at Canelletto on formal night, men wearing shorts and flip flops in the Pinnacle for lunch; etc., etc.

HAL either change the dress code to Rural or enforce the current dress codes.

... men wearing shorts and flip-flops at Canelletto on formal night...

On formal night?! Were the ladies dressed as belles of the ball or were they too wearing shorts and flip-flops? :eek:

There must be one in the front row of every audience.

I remember Barnaby singling out a woman sitting in the front row, to make her a subject of his act. She was wearing pajamas and Finding Nemo slippers. :eek: He didn't let up on her.

I fail to see how any of this affects your own cruise. Let them wear what they want, you can wear what you like. All this complaining seems more out of a fear that those that wish to dress up will feel self conscious if others stop and so they must bully everyone else to conform to their desires instead of the reverse.

I fail to see how any of this affects your own cruise. Let them wear what they want, you can wear what you like. All this complaining seems more out of a fear that those that wish to dress up will feel self conscious if others stop and so they must bully everyone else to conform to their desires instead of the reverse.

Bingo!! It is hard enough keeping me dressed without taking on the rest of the ship. :D We are looking forward to meeting you on the Veendam next month.

There must be one in the front row of every audience.

I remember Barnaby singling out a woman sitting in the front row, to make her a subject of his act. She was wearing pajamas and Finding Nemo slippers. :eek: He didn't let up on her.

I wonder if Barnaby posts on Cruise Critic?

men wearing t-shirts in the MDR for dining,
The current Know Before You Go says printed tees are not allowed, which implies that solid color ones are allowed.
... men wearing shorts and flip flops in the Pinnacle for lunch; etc.
Also allowed. The PG follows the same code as the rest of the ship.

“We judge others instantly by their clothes, their cars, their appearance, their race, their education, their social status. The list is endless. What gets me is that most people decide who another person is before they have even spoken to them. What's even worse is that these same people decide who someone else is, and don't even know who they are themselves.”

― Ashly Lorenzana

Bingo!! It is hard enough keeping me dressed without taking on the rest of the ship. :D We are looking forward to meeting you on the Veendam next month.

Thanks!

My husbands first comment yesterday after I told him I upgraded us to a Neptune suite was "great now I feel like I have to dress up more. Good thing we just bought me a new suit". I don't mind dressing up and enjoy doing it, I just don't appreciate being told I have to or being judged if I don't meet someone else's expectations of how I should look.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

I thought the original post was fun and interesting. Too bad someone felt it necessary to turn it into a war again.

The comedy part was amusing and fine, but then they took advantage of it by posting their own personal commentary on how people were dressed. So the "war" started from post 1.

Edited by sherilyn70

“we judge others instantly by their clothes, their cars, their appearance, their race, their education, their social status. The list is endless. What gets me is that most people decide who another person is before they have even spoken to them. What's even worse is that these same people decide who someone else is, and don't even know who they are themselves.”

― ashly lorenzana

like !! :)

We are solidly in the MYOB and don't judge a book by it's cover crowd.

Life if too short for all of that nonsense.

AMEN!

Also why I choose to avoid "comedy" shows. It's more and more just a socially acceptable way to bully people.

I agree with you entirely!:D

Too bad I can't hear you over the sirens!!!:eek:;)

The current Know Before You Go says printed tees are not allowed, which implies that solid color ones are allowed.

Also allowed. The PG follows the same code as the rest of the ship.

[/size][/font]

For your information, there were printed tees in the MDR.

Thanks!

My husbands first comment yesterday after I told him I upgraded us to a Neptune suite was "great now I feel like I have to dress up more. Good thing we just bought me a new suit". I don't mind dressing up and enjoy doing it, I just don't appreciate being told I have to or being judged if I don't meet someone else's expectations of how I should look.

I truly have no interest how you or anyone dresses and have made that clear on CC many times.

But I do have an interest why someone would book to sail a cruise line that makes it perfectly clear they expect guests to wear jacket, trousers and tie for gents and commensurately appropriate for women on formal nights. They clearly spell out what is not permitted in MDR for dinner.

Why book a cruise line that 'tells you what to wear' if you don't appreciate being told? :confused: Why would you mind if people notice if you don't comply?

I cannot reconcile booking that cruise line if that is your view.

Thanks if you care to explain.

AMEN!

Also why I choose to avoid "comedy" shows. It's more and more just a socially acceptable way to bully people.

For your information, the guys wearing tees and shorts in the Showroom laughed the loudest in response to the Rural Night joke. Most people can take a joke because that is what it is, a joke.

I truly have no interest how you or anyone dresses and have made that clear on CC many times.

But I do have an interest why someone would book to sail a cruise line that makes it perfectly clear they expect guests to wear jacket, trousers and tie for gents and commensurately appropriate for women on formal nights. They clearly spell out what is not permitted in MDR for dinner.

Why book a cruise line that 'tells you what to wear' if you don't appreciate being told? :confused: Why would you mind if people notice if you don't comply?

I cannot reconcile booking that cruise line if that is your view.

Thanks if you care to explain.

Their suggested dress falls into my everyday choices. They aren't far from my husbands either. So it's not an issue. As I said I don't like being told what to wear our judged by others. It doesn't mean I object to suggested guidelines. Is the passengers that seem to get all worked up and insist people conform to their standards.

I am confused...who is the bully?

I think she's implying that people who want the dress code enforced are being bullies. Seems like overreach in playing the victim card, IMO.

It did not impact our cruise. We have been sailing HAL since 1982 and this wa going to be our last cruise with HAL due to recent poor HAL sailings.

This 29 day cruise was by far the best; best staff & crew we had ever experienced. We are back.

I guess you failed to see a little satire in my conclusion.

I think she's implying that people who want the dress code enforced are being bullies. Seems like overreach in playing the victim card, IMO.

Comics who pick on audience members IMHO are "socially acceptable" bullies. Not everyone who gets picked on guffaws and finds it amusing.

But like I said, I avoid comedy shows BECAUSE I spent enough of my childhood and youth being bullied I choose not to put myself in a situation where I could fall victim again, even if dressed appropriately. Sometimes they just target you and there's nothing you can do.

No I'm implying that constantly puting others down for their choices and b*tching about it loudly is the bullying part. Same with laughing and pointing to try and ostracise them. If you're upset let management know and do so quietly. If they agree with you they'll enforce it, otherwise let it go.

Edited by sherilyn70