New HAL Dress Code ?

G&G

OK, let me muddy the waters slightly more here: this somewhat casual blazer from Eddie Bauer (with a buttondown shirt and a tie): Yay or nay? I'm considering bringing this on a Canada/New England. I can certainly bring a nicer jacket (or a suit) instead if people might find it offensive or objectionable. Thoughts?

Edited by MrOZ

OK, let me muddy the waters slightly more here: this somewhat casual blazer from Eddie Bauer (with a buttondown shirt and a tie): Yay or nay? I'm considering bringing this on a Canada/New England. I can certainly bring a nicer jacket (or a suit) instead if people might find it offensive or objectionable. Thoughts?

you will be dressed better than most

Got to be the most - - oops, is that actually your outfits? I had better say nothing.

No it's a photo from an ad for the Forever Lazy. Search for it on YouTube to see it in... er... action.

You'd probably have to Bedazzle it for formal night. ;)

No it's a photo from an ad for the Forever Lazy. Search for it on YouTube to see it in... er... action.

You'd probably have to Bedazzle it for formal night. ;)

Thanks! You have solved my problem of what to take on our upcoming cruise. I am thinking outlining a bow tie for DH in beads, and maybe a plunging neckline for me. We will be chic AND comfortable.

Thanks! You have solved my problem of what to take on our upcoming cruise. I am thinking outlining a bow tie for DH in beads, and maybe a plunging neckline for me. We will be chic AND comfortable.

And since it has feet, you don't have to worry about which shoes to wear, which is nice. I already have a pretty big selection of bow ties, so I would probably just wear something I already have. (It has to be one you tie yourself, though. I think the pre-tied bows are a little casual to pair with the Forever Lazy.)

That should be fine. (Although New England is L. L. Bean territory, so be on the lookout for angry Mainers. ;) )

I love the mentality of some.

"I Refuse To Dress Up, Therefore I'll Eat In A Cafeteria And Grab My Own Grub On Formal Nights"

Too funny

I'm a little confused on your comment. What do you mean by the "mentality of some people" It seems damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I will be sailing to Alaska in August. I am not a girly girl and I hate dressing up. I am a jeans kind of girl. We will not be dining in the MDR at all. Two reasons for this. I know the rules for dress in the MDR and I won't break them. But I also don't want to be looked down upon for what some people think is not dressy enough.

My jeans will not have holes in them or be tacky in any way. If my nice jeans offend anyone, I'm sorry. But that is what I am comfortable in. Let me add, I will take some slacks to wear when we eat in the PG. But the rest of the time, I will be in jeans.

Edited by kpgibbs
edited because I can't spell

I love being comfortable. I'm so glad I live in the here and now. When I was younger we had to wear dresses or skirts to school. Then in high school we had to wear those nylons with garter belts! Not to mention girdles. However a pair of nice slinky blacks pants and fancy top are or can be, very comfortable. I don't get all the complaints about comfort:confused:

I'm a little confused on your comment. What do you mean by the "mentality of some people" It seems damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I will be sailing to Alaska in August. I am not a girly girl and I hate dressing up. I am a jeans kind of girl. We will not be dining in the MDR at all. Two reasons for this. I know the rules for dress in the MDR and I won't break them. But I also don't want to be looked down upon for what some people think is not dressy enough.

My jeans will not have holes in them or be tacky in any way. If my nice jeans offend anyone, I'm sorry. But that is what I am comfortable in. Let me add, I will take some slacks to wear when we eat in the PG. But the rest of the time, I will be in jeans.

I understand where you are coming from. The problems is that if you never eat in the MDR you are missing out on some pretty good meals. Also you miss out on some "fun" times such as hearing the wait staff sing Happy Birthday in their native language. The food from room service and in the Lido is not as good nor is there much of a selection. I always compromise by wearing smart casual/ jacket and tie and immediately after dinner change into my jeans for the rest of the night. Remember too; you paid for all those missed meals in the MDR.

On those odd occasions when we do dress and attend the MDR, it does not bother us in the least if we see someone without a tie, jacket, whatever. It has no impact on our enjoyment. It is not worth the effort to fret about it because we do not control it.

Edited by iancal

I understand where you are coming from. The problems is that if you never eat in the MDR you are missing out on some pretty good meals. Also you miss out on some "fun" times such as hearing the wait staff sing Happy Birthday in their native language. The food from room service and in the Lido is not as good nor is there much of a selection. I always compromise by wearing smart casual/ jacket and tie and immediately after dinner change into my jeans for the rest of the night. Remember too; you paid for all those missed meals in the MDR.

I know we will miss some things. But honestly, it doesn't bother me too much. I have been to the MDR and it was OK for the most part. But that was on Princess. While on Princess, I didn't notice anyone dressed sloppy. But, I'm not one to really care what others are wearing and I rarely notice what others are wearing.

What I don't understand is pointing out people who point out "less-than-proper" clothing and deeming them bullies.

Isn't it just another way of passing the bullying onward?

And let everyone wear what they want.

If you go out in public, someone will judge you. ALWAYS. It's a risk you have to take when you go out in public. ;)