How do I use iPhone for pictures only and not get charges

You don't need a different message app. With iMessage turned off, the iPhone message app can still send normal SMS and MMS messages, provided the appropriate services are enabled. SMS requires normal cellular service, MMS requires that cellular data is enabled. Even though MMS requires cellular data to work, it is not billed as data. If you have an international texting plan, it counts against that plan. If not, each text or picture is billed separately. ATT charges 50 cents for each sent SMS or MMS if not on a plan. Incoming SMS or MMS messages are free.

What you say is true, however, turning on cellular data on a smart phone will result in much more data transmission (expensive at sea) from all the other apps.

Maybe other phones are different, but there's no setting on my phone that says: "Limit cellular data to the free stuff that's associated with MMS text messages".

What you say is true, however, turning on cellular data on a smart phone will result in much more data transmission (expensive at sea) from all the other apps.

Maybe other phones are different, but there's no setting on my phone that says: "Limit cellular data to the free stuff that's associated with MMS text messages".

True but provided you've got all background apps closed and automatic downloads and updates disabled, I've found you can control data on an iPhone. If you turn data roaming on just long enough to send your picture, you should be ok.

Data refers to cellular data. Wi-Fi will work whether cellular data is on or off.

I don't know what free wifi app lovesthebeach2 is referring to...

Lew

The app is called "free wifi" and it will show you any free wifi that's near your current location. I just tried it in airplane mode and it works.

I just did a test. I just turned off all cell data, then put the phone in airplane mode and turned on wifi. I was able to not only text my husbands iphone but also FaceTime and FaceTime audio. Am I correct in assuming that if I do that I won't get any charges?

I just did a test. I just turned off all cell data, then put the phone in airplane mode and turned on wifi. I was able to not only text my husbands iphone but also FaceTime and FaceTime audio. Am I correct in assuming that if I do that I won't get any charges?

You won't get any charges from your cell carrier. You still have to pay for WiFi.

put your phone in airplane mode. if you are out to see miles from land, there are no cell towers for you to get reception, but soon as you get to land, and your phone pics up a tower, here come the texts and emails...so i suggest airplane mode...you can also go into port to a free wifi area and use your phone there

All RCI ships have cell towers. RCI does not charge you for cell service but your carrier will. Put your phone in airplane mode and if you purchase the ships WiFi package, only tun on WiFi.

If you turn iMessage off, you won't be able to text unless you use a different text app. iMessage operates over Wi-Fi or cellular.

Lew

Yes you'll still be able to text. It's just an SMS instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

in all our travels, I have found the best option to make sure that you do not get any data charges is to find someone with an old iphone or android phone.

I have several old iphone's that either have a broken screen or the speakers are messed up. These are not connected to my ATT plan in any way.

we use them in port for picture, video, and wifi use. I can log in to my gmail account and send pictures or surf the web while in port, and never worry about it costing me money.

You could also do the same thing with an ipod touch too.

All the best,

Tim