Is the singing "Chef's Surprise" new on NCL?

Karysa

Just got off of the Jade which was our first NCL cruise since March of 2013 and they had two waitresses going around the Garden and Outdoor Cafes every morning singing "Good Morning Chef's Surprise! Would you like to try some! Blah, blah! Thank you! See you tomorrow! Have a nice day!" Something like that sung in tandum to guests tables one after the other after the other!:eek:If this is the norm am I the only one that hated it enough to complain about it? If this is new how do we make it stop?!!!

If you receive a comment card, be sure to mention it. I wouldn't like it either.

I have never read about it on here before so I think that it must be new. I will definitely comment on it if I receive a comment card via e-mail. It was dreadful and super annoying.

I've never experienced that before. It may be something they're trying out on Jade... so definitely fill in a comment card and tell them how you feel about it.

I think someone forgot that not everyone is a morning person! Or maybe that officer is an "early to bed, early to rise" person and forgot about things like hangovers. :-)

Just got off of the Jade which was our first NCL cruise since March of 2013 and they had two waitresses going around the Garden and Outdoor Cafes every morning singing "Good Morning Chef's Surprise! Would you like to try some! Blah, blah! Thank you! See you tomorrow! Have a nice day!" Something like that sung in tandum to guests tables one after the other after the other!:eek:If this is the norm am I the only one that hated it enough to complain about it? If this is new how do we make it stop?!!!

Did they have a tray or basket of something to try?

Some peope actually like a chipper greeting in the morning ;)

Me, I am not a morning person but I would not be looking to linger in the buffet when I could be somewhere else.

The pool deck is more annoying IMO as far as noise.

You will also find folks who would be upset if they didn't sing!

Just got off of the Jade which was our first NCL cruise since March of 2013 and they had two waitresses going around the Garden and Outdoor Cafes every morning singing "Good Morning Chef's Surprise! Would you like to try some! Blah, blah! Thank you! See you tomorrow! Have a nice day!" Something like that sung in tandum to guests tables one after the other after the other!:eek:If this is the norm am I the only one that hated it enough to complain about it?

If this is new how do we make it stop?!!!

You should try morning room service...

Waiter sees me & DW naked in bed; never sings nothing !?

Edited by $hip$hape

Were they trying to sign up people for specialty dining that night? Or just singing? Annoying......yes' date=' if so.[/size']

They never approached my table but they were all around me. They had what looked like bite sized donuts and small pastries from what I could see. I did not see any signs, nor did they hand out coupons for specialty restaurants. They walked together and sang together and thanked the people together and wished them a nice day together. It was creepy and annoying.

Did they have a tray or basket of something to try?

Some peope actually like a chipper greeting in the morning ;)

Me, I am not a morning person but I would not be looking to linger in the buffet when I could be somewhere else.

The pool deck is more annoying IMO as far as noise.

You will also find folks who would be upset if they didn't sing!

Funny thing is I am a morning person. If they would have done this at lunch or dinner I would still feel the same way. Spending 20-30 minutes eating breakfast out on the back deck while on vacation is not lingering to me. I think that you need to hear these girls and their rendition of "Good Morning, Chef's Surprise, would you like to try, Thank you, See you tomorrow, Have a Nice Day" 10 x's in a row before you can say that the noise on the pool deck is more annoying.:D

I've never experienced that before. It may be something they're trying out on Jade... so definitely fill in a comment card and tell them how you feel about it.

I think someone forgot that not everyone is a morning person! Or maybe that officer is an "early to bed, early to rise" person and forgot about things like hangovers. :-)

I'm a morning person who hasn't had a hangover in 10 years and I found it annoying! Yes, I think that we must be the guinny pigs and I will try and save the rest of you by filling out the comment card and doing my best to stop the madness from continuing!:eek:

They were sweet and adorable waitresses. The first time it was cute. The second - not so much. After having spent 14 days having to listen to them every...single...morning...it was more than annoying. It was downright ridiculous. There was no place to escape. It was creepy and I felt sorry for them. And the chef surprise was not a tasty little treat. They were unappealing tasteless baked goods.

I would have to say that the Jade was one of our worst cruises. There was very few quiet places to escape to and the food was fair to adequate at best.

The inside cabins had to be the smallest I've ever sailed in with inadequate storage. But it had a spacious bathrom with equally inadequate storage.

But the price was right and the ports were amazing.

I would not rush back to the Jade.

They were sweet and adorable waitresses. The first time it was cute. The second - not so much. After having spent 14 days having to listen to them every...single...morning...it was more than annoying. It was downright ridiculous. There was no place to escape. It was creepy and I felt sorry for them. And the chef surprise was not a tasty little treat. They were unappealing tasteless baked goods.

I would have to say that the Jade was one of our worst cruises. There was very few quiet places to escape to and the food was fair to adequate at best.

The inside cabins had to be the smallest I've ever sailed in with inadequate storage. But it had a spacious bathrom with equally inadequate storage.

But the price was right and the ports were amazing.

I would not rush back to the Jade.

I agree with what you said about the waitresses and about the size of the cabin and the lack of storage as well. We always find places for our stuff and adapt so that doesn't bother us. We thought the food was very good everywhere we ate and we enjoyed the UDP. I heard others complaining about the service but other than one disasterous meal at Cagneys we had great service and many staff members went out of their way to please us. We loved the ports as well.

We just got off the Jade Saturday and the Surprise Surprise girl was in the Grand Pacific every morning as well. We loved her as did most people in there. They make a special pastry item each day that you can only get from the girl who delivers them. We saw the girl in the dining room a few evenings and everyone would do her bit back to her. I found people liked it - similar to washy washy happy happy.

We just got off the Jade Saturday and the Surprise Surprise girl was in the Grand Pacific every morning as well. We loved her as did most people in there. They make a special pastry item each day that you can only get from the girl who delivers them. We saw the girl in the dining room a few evenings and everyone would do her bit back to her. I found people liked it - similar to washy washy happy happy.

So different to washy washy happy happy. Let's be serious for a minute here. Washy washy is taking a serious issue and making this chore as pleasant experience as possible. The singing "duo" not girl with the Chef's surprise is offering carbs which are anything but health promotion. I said something about it to a lady I had met on the ship as we were debarking and she agreed that it was annoying and the lady in front of us turned around and said "that needs to stop, it drove me crazy."

to be fair i hope everyone who just returned from the Jade cruise had a good time. we know sometimes things don't go as planned. Some of you were onboard for 14 days, so why didnt you mention this to the staff? it seems that after a few days it got old, and annoying. something that annoys me for two three days i will mention it. seems like no one did that on this cruise. Also, to be fair, some people take cruise vacations to relax, have a good time, and eat anything they want, including carbs. This is my opinion and i'm not trying to be judgemental.

Edited by AF-1
grammer and spelling

to be fair i hope everyone who just returned from the Jade cruise had a good time. we know sometimes things don't go as planned. Some of you were onboard for 14 days, so why didnt you mention this to the staff? it seems that after a few days it got old, and annoying. something that annoys me for two three days i will mention it. seems like no one did that on this cruise. Also, to be fair, some people take cruise vacations to relax, have a good time, and eat anything they want, including carbs. This is my opinion and i'm not trying to be judgemental.

There are danishes, english muffins, croissants, muffins and cereal just for starters so I don't think that there was a lack of available carbs before the Chef's Surprise!

I just filled out my comment card online and mentioned that I didn't like it. If most others have as well then it will stop and if most don't then it will continue. I will keep an eye out for threads about this in the near future because if it continues there will be more threads about it for sure.

I ate in the Great Outdoor Cafe (singing) then the MDR (no singing), then the GOC (singing) then the Garden Cafe (singing heard from a distance), then the Blue Lagoon (no singing), then the GOC (singing) and then the MDR (no singing). If I would have eaten outside at the GOC and heard it every morning then I probably wouldn't have waited to complain about it on here and via my on-line NCL survey.

Great, thanks for the explanation; I have 15 months till I cruise Jade; so they will most likely have some other type of entertainment for breakfast. Other than singing for breakfast; did you enjoy the cruise and Jade? I have been to all the countries myself; I'm doing this cruise for my wife.

eek...reminds me of Carnival's singing/table dancing waiters....:eek: (one of the things I really disliked about CCL)

Great, thanks for the explanation; I have 15 months till I cruise Jade; so they will most likely have some other type of entertainment for breakfast. Other than singing for breakfast; did you enjoy the cruise and Jade? I have been to all the countries myself; I'm doing this cruise for my wife.

Yes we had a wonderful vacation and the ports are all beautiful and other than taking my girls to see Olympia I feel that this is the only one time port on this itinerary.

eek...reminds me of Carnival's singing/table dancing waiters....:eek: (one of the things I really disliked about CCL)

That is way less annoying to me when compared to the singing of "Chef's Surprise"! I really can't see this lasting very long so I think you are ok unless you are sailing on the Jade in the next few weeks.;)

I'm kind of giggling, trying to picture this in my head and the vision isn't really what I think of when I think of cruising.

The first time I seen them, I may think "oh isn't that cute". But I'm thinking, like you, that it would get old pretty quick.

I think the difference I would see between that and the washy washy girls. Is they don't/didn't walk around. They stood at the door and the only time they sang is when someone new walked in and if there was a group of people entering at the same time, they somewhat spaced it out since the people behind had already heard. You also had lots of choices in tables that you did not need to sit close to the doors to hear the repetition of it.

Sounds like these girls are walking all around the restaurant.

I actually don't spend time in the buffet in the morning, so it wouldn't directly affect me.

I'm kind of giggling, trying to picture this in my head and the vision isn't really what I think of when I think of cruising.

The first time I seen them, I may think "oh isn't that cute". But I'm thinking, like you, that it would get old pretty quick.

I think the difference I would see between that and the washy washy girls. Is they don't/didn't walk around. They stood at the door and the only time they sang is when someone new walked in and if there was a group of people entering at the same time, they somewhat spaced it out since the people behind had already heard. You also had lots of choices in tables that you did not need to sit close to the doors to hear the repetition of it.

Sounds like these girls are walking all around the restaurant.

I actually don't spend time in the buffet in the morning, so it wouldn't directly affect me.

Yep it was cute the FIRST time!:eek: