Documentation for embarkation

So, I just can't remember. Other than the e-docs, and ticket...is the Passport required for embarkation? And, for those without a passport, the certified Birth Certificate? Or, is that shown at the end when going through customs and immigration?

So, I just can't remember. Other than the e-docs, and ticket...is the Passport required for embarkation? And, for those without a passport, the certified Birth Certificate? Or, is that shown at the end when going through customs and immigration?

US based closed loop cruises (depart / return same port) require a valid picture ID and a birth certificate -or- a current passport at embarkation. (Note that some ports of entry will require that the passport will not expire within six months of entry. Check this with your cruise line regarding your itinerary.)

Initial port security typically requires a valid picture ID along with boarding docs to enter, but the ID as mentioned is required at ship check in with your boarding docs.

actually, unless I read it wrong, the only thing the side listed was what you need. I guess I was not understanding WHEN it was needed. It makes sense at the beginning though, but also at the end as we do go through customs and immigration at Seattle.

I remember showing my passport to get off the ship....just not at the beginning. Must have been so excited to get on, I wasn't paying attention lol

You'll need to show ID at embarkation and disembarkation both. However, the embarkation ID check is more important, since you can't get on the ship without it. Disembarking, you can use whatever you used to get on the ship.

Technically, at disembarkation, once you land on US soil as a US citizen, you cannot be refused admission, even without any ID. You will be held up until US CBP (Customs & Border Protection) can verify your identity, but you will get in.

This is different from embarkation, where you don't get to see CBP, only port employees. Unlike CBP, they have no discretion to waive ID requirements. If they allow you to board without proper ID, the cruise line can be fined.

Make sense?

Edited by dwjoe

You'll need to show ID at embarkation and disembarkation both. However, the embarkation ID check is more important, since you can't get on the ship without it. Disembarking, you can use whatever you used to get on the ship.

Technically, at disembarkation, once you land on US soil as a US citizen, you cannot be refused admission, even without any ID. You will be held up until US CBP (Customs & Border Protection) can verify your identity, but you will get in.

This is different from embarkation, where you don't get to see CBP, only port employees. Unlike CBP, they have no discretion to waive ID requirements. If they allow you to board without proper ID, the cruise line can be fined.

Make sense?

Dwjoe, I know you know this but, I'm concerned that someone unfamiliar with the requirements might misconstrue the word "ID" as you've used to mean a simple ID such as a drivers license is all that is required at embarkation. In fact ID and proof of citizenship are both required at check in. Obviously, a passport, passport card or enhanced drivers license serve as both ID and proof of citizenship in a single document, but for someone on a closed loop cruise who doesn't have one of the preceding or similar WHTI-compliant documents, both an ID (such as a drivers license) and separate proof of citizenship (official US birth certificate, certificate of naturalization or consular report of birth abroad) will be required.

Dwjoe, I know you know this but, I'm concerned that someone unfamiliar with the requirements might misconstrue the word "ID" as you've used to mean a simple ID such as a drivers license is all that is required at embarkation. In fact ID and proof of citizenship are both required at check in. Obviously, a passport, passport card or enhanced drivers license serve as both ID and proof of citizenship in a single document, but for someone on a closed loop cruise who doesn't have one of the preceding or similar WHTI-compliant documents, both an ID (such as a drivers license) and separate proof of citizenship (official US birth certificate, certificate of naturalization or consular report of birth abroad) will be required.

I was replying to OP's latest post where he said he was clear on what was needed, just not when it was needed. So I used the term "ID" loosely. I hope that didn't mislead anyone.

You are correct that both ID and proof of citizenship are required, as detailed in the NCL link above.

Edited by dwjoe