Upsells if you marked "Do Not Upgrade"

DaveOKC

Clearly you don't believe I got (and took) an up sell just a few days ago when I was marked as do not upgrade. I'm excited that I was able to get a Neptune suite.

Congratulations on your experience.

DH requires a HC cabin, so we book a specific cabin with no upgrade option.

We have been offered upsells on almost every cruise (unless we've booked a suite). If a HC cabin is available in the upsell category, we take it.

We even have been offered an upsell to a PS, but of course cannot take advantage of it as it's not HC accessible.

DH requires a HC cabin, so we book a specific cabin with no upgrade option.

We have been offered upsells on almost every cruise (unless we've booked a suite). If a HC cabin is available in the upsell category, we take it.

We even have been offered an upsell to a PS, but of course cannot take advantage of it as it's not HC accessible.

Thankfully I only needed HC modified and not fully accessible. I picked up the one PS on the Veendam that has it for our cruise in a few weeks.

Thankfully I only needed HC modified and not fully accessible. I picked up the one PS on the Veendam that has it for our cruise in a few weeks.

Congratulations! I knew you got the upsell to the Neptune Suite, didn't realize you had gotten the Penthouse (PS)! I don't think the PS is HC modified though.

Congratulations! I knew you got the upsell to the Neptune Suite, didn't realize you had gotten the Penthouse (PS)! I don't think the PS is HC modified though.

Lol I shouldn't post at 2am. I totally screwed up that statement. I'm still in the Neptune. Silly me. [emoji23]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We are at ten days out, and just had a nice visit from the upgrade fairy to an A Vista. If HAL should offer an upsell to a Neptune, it will be much easier to turn down the offer. We are pretty happy with this selection.:D

We are at ten days out, and just had a nice visit from the upgrade fairy to an A Vista. If HAL should offer an upsell to a Neptune, it will be much easier to turn down the offer. We are pretty happy with this selection.:D

Congrats! I turned the upsell down for it, mostly because the size wouldn't work for us with my scooter. :) what type of room did you have before?

Edited by sherilyn70

Congrats! I turned the upsell down for it, mostly because the size wouldn't work for us with my scooter. :) what type of room did you have before?

We booked a BB. We just started booking verandas last year, and so far have had very favorable results, even had our first Neptune on the Amsterdam in Alaska last year when they made us an offer that we couldn't refuse. By the way, we have another cruise mate on the other board.

Hi DaveOKC,

Just wanted to give you an update on the Welcome Home promo. We spoke to our PCC and we can only apply the promotion if we take away another promotion that we have. So, we won't be using the Welcome Home promo on this cruise. I have decided though that we won't chance any confusion. We will not be booking any future cruises while on a cruise - only Future Cruise Credits from now on.

Edited by cbr663

Hi DaveOKC,

Just wanted to give you an update on the Welcome Home promo. We spoke to our PCC and we can only apply the promotion if we take away another promotion that we have. So, we won't be using the Welcome Home promo on this cruise. I have decided though that we won't chance any confusion. We will not be booking any future cruises while on a cruise - only Future Cruise Credits from now on.

Thanks for the update, but sorry to hear that it would not work for you.

I was lucky on my upcoming Oct cruise that I booked with my FCD, the email offer and then the current $150 OBC deal that HAL is offering on my cruise (11 days).

DaveOKC

For our 5/29 sailing on the Noordam, we are being bombarded with upsells to the Pinnacle Suite. Two weeks ago, it was for 1,899 per person. It dropped to 1,699 per person and last night it was down to 1,099 per person. Does this mean that the HA Upgrade Fairy doesn't ever upgrade anyone to the PS?

We got a nice upsell on the Veendam several years ago from a Verandah Suite to Delux Veranda for around $299 pp if my memory serves me right and was also offered the PH for $1999 pp, needless to say we turned that down and went with the Delux, which was very Suite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update, but sorry to hear that it would not work for you.

I was lucky on my upcoming Oct cruise that I booked with my FCD, the email offer and then the current $150 OBC deal that HAL is offering on my cruise (11 days).

DaveOKC

I am glad to hear that you were able to apply the 1-week sale promotion to your cruise. Our winter cruise is the end of Jan and HAL hasn't started discounting them yet. Last year we took a Caribbean cruise in early December and we loved that time of year to travel, but we found that it made for a very long and cold Canadian winter.

Just got a second upsell offer (and still marked with do not upgrade) this afternoon. I will pass on the pinnacle suite at $1,119/pp. I think I've upgraded enough. :)

Edited by sherilyn70

Upgrade vs Upsell are two different things. Not wanting to upgrade is your choice but you may want to let your TA or PCC know that you do not want Upsells also, if not they will be coming your way. They are only trying to offer upper categories to fill them thus allowing the lower less costly to be available, it's all about trying to fill the ship and still make some $ in the higher cat's.

Upgrade vs Upsell are two different things. Not wanting to upgrade is your choice but you may want to let your TA or PCC know that you do not want Upsells also, if not they will be coming your way. They are only trying to offer upper categories to fill them thus allowing the lower less costly to be available, it's all about trying to fill the ship and still make some $ in the higher cat's.

I made sure that our PCC knows we do not want to get an upgrade, but we would be interested in an upsell (seems silly I know, but there are reasons for it). First, being in an SY we could easily be upgraded to an SS for free, but I really prefer the cabin I have selected over almost all of the SS ones (our location is great and the cabins are the same).

I also think it is unlikely that we would get a free upgrade to a Neptune suite, as HAL likes to offer upsells to fill these cabins and they do not seem to have problems getting people to do so. Plus, with an upsell you often can pick the cabin you want (if it is available of course). I pretty well know where I would like to be in a Neptune on our ship.

I made sure that our PCC knows we do not want to get an upgrade, but we would be interested in an upsell (seems silly I know, but there are reasons for it). First, being in an SY we could easily be upgraded to an SS for free, but I really prefer the cabin I have selected over almost all of the SS ones (our location is great and the cabins are the same).

Nothing silly about it. I think a lot of people feel the same. We want control over where our room is. In my case it also has to be mobility modified or handicap. I can't risk being upgraded to a room with a tub and no grab bars in the bathroom. I also need room for my scooter.

Nothing silly about it. I think a lot of people feel the same. We want control over where our room is. In my case it also has to be mobility modified or handicap. I can't risk being upgraded to a room with a tub and no grab bars in the bathroom. I also need room for my scooter.

The problem that I have is that HAL's idea of an upgrade is not always the same as mine (and other cruisers).

DaveOKC

The problem that I have is that HAL's idea of an upgrade is not always the same as mine (and other cruisers).

I agree. Just as they can't recognize that a handicap room cannot be upgraded to a standard room in a higher class. I was furthering your point.

We sailed on an undersold Veendam in May, "no upgrade", K-cat. We did receive upsells; the first offers were not even remotely enticing, and the final one (day before cruise) wasn't even that great of a deal. Albeit, the interior we had picked interested us more than the categories immediatly above ours; only a nominal extra charge for a lanai or verandah would have been acceptable.

Nonetheless, for a cruise that was significantly undersold, it was a little surprising not to be offered a great upsell deal.

MagTravel I find that hard to believe, we have done at least 26 HAL cruises and have received all of the above. If you book onboard you get OBC, if not you get a Thank You for HAL which includes OBC. If you book a guarantee usually you will get upgraded unless you tell them you do not want to be upgraded. Upsells come via email, we have accepted several the best being an upsell to Deluxe Verandah on the Veendam for $199pp. CCL stock also gives you OBC.

I agree. Just as they can't recognize that a handicap room cannot be upgraded to a standard room in a higher class. I was furthering your point. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This has me very concerned and I plan to talk with my PCC about it. Have others reported they were moved from a HDCP cabin into a regular cabin as an upgrade? That just doesn't seem fair. :(

This has me very concerned and I plan to talk with my PCC about it. Have others reported they were moved from a HDCP cabin into a regular cabin as an upgrade? That just doesn't seem fair. :(

Both their website and their customer service advise you check do not upgrade. So they clearly cannot handle it in their system. I'm okay with it though since I'm just happy to get the room I need. :)

If you have a handicap room I think it's very wise to mark it as do not upgrade. I would not trust HAL computer system to be intelligent enough to recognize not to move people. They have 2 systems and they don't even talk to each other. Maybe it's just me but that speaks volumes.