Allure Review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5/11 Sailing

Hello all, I have to pick up the pets and get some groceries but I promised to write my review today and know some of your are waiting for it to start so I will start this from the first day which was the saturday before we boarded the Allure.

ABOUT US: We are a family of 7, my other half and myself are 51, my father in law is 75, daughter 22 and her bf, brother in law 54 and sister in law 53. We all are very experienced cruisers, the Allure is my 53rd cruise. We all had balconies facing the ocean but my daughter and her bf had a balcony overlooking central park. My cabin was 10585, father in law 10580, daughter 10585 and brother/sister in law 10578.

We flew from northern Florida to south Florida, a very short 50 minute flight. I hired a stretch limousine to pick us up from the airport to the hotel, we stayed at the Hilton Marina and our rooms were in the tower where when we woke up that sunday we saw the Allure there waiting for us.

This hotel is nice but could use some updating as all the hotels need some updating in this area including the Embassy Suites. We do not care for the Embassy Suites there at the port, we don't care for the "cat walks" and the rooms were not as nice as the Hilton Marina. The Hilton Marina was on the inter coastal where we found ourselves walking all around the hotel in the afternoon taking photos of the huge yachts docked right there. She also has a nice poolside/intercoastal outdoor bar with many tables and chairs and had live music in the evening there and it was very nice sitting out there late evening talking together. My sister in law took in some sun on a very nice lounge chair at the beautiful large pool which had a lot of foliage of beautiful palm trees and flowering scrubs.

We checked in the hotel around noon saturday but our rooms were not ready as check in was at 4pm, so the bell hop stored our luggage for us. We went out knowing we had to hire two cabs (cab cars are only allowed to have up to 4 passengers per car) but we found a guy there sitting outside in a van with a taxi logo (private) and asked him if he could take the 7 of us to the Southstreet Seaport for lunch. He was very nice and drove us there, handed us his business card and mentioned if we needed a ride back to give him a call and give him 20 minutes to pick us up, which we did and he was there in 11 minutes from the time we called him for a pick up back to the hotel. He only charged us $3.00p/p each way and we tipped him nicely of course.

SOUTHSTREET SEAPORT- This restaurant is only three mile from the hotel, there is both an inside and outside to sit, we choose the outside to sit out on the water and watch the yachts go by, not boats yachts are there lol.

We ordered a number of appetizers to share which were good but the odd thing is our raw clams and raw oysters came in a clear dish with cold water not ice, very odd and we very much prefer if it were on ice so the food would be nice and cold. Both clams and oysters were good not excellent probably because it needed to be served on ice which would of kept them colder and would taste better. We ordered some drinks which were very good and the prices were to us very reasonable. Service was excellent also. Would we go back probably not only because of wanting our raw seafood cold and served on ice but who knows lol.

We all got back from lunch and sat outside at the pool bar and had a cocktail while we took in the beautiful scenery and watched the yachts go by.

We all got dressed casually and met at the lobby area to go to the restaurant. We chose Kelly's Landing, a very small 90 person dining establishment which was only two miles away and is there for many many years and had a decent reputation. We did make reservations two weeks in advance. We hired the same van driver to take us here and he also brought us back to the hotel, again $3.00 p/p each way very cheap and his vehicle did accommodate 9 passengers. We walked in this very small establishment that had nice wooden tables and chairs, it was packed and there was a wait of 22 minutes for us even with reservations. There were chairs and small tables outside so three of us sat down while the others walked around the strip mall there which had shops. We were told by a few that the place is always packed and even with reservations there is always a wait. We finally got seated at a table and the service was excellent!

Food here is a hit or miss, the salad was very crisp and fresh, we ordered 7 different appetizers to share, most were very good but in very small portions. The prices were inexpensive to us but when we got the appetizers, they were served on very small dishes with little portions so the price I have to say was a bit high for what you got. the "lobstah ran goons" were everybody's favorite, the mahi fingers were totally plain and tasteless, the clam fritters were good as so were the fire cracker shrimp.

One of us had the Stone Crabs which were large and very meaty and that was excellent. My daughter and I had the NY Strip it was served to us cold I gather because they wanted us all to have our main courses together and the steak was cooked first. The salad was very crisp and very good. Two others had the Seafood Medley it was a very small portion with just 3 small shrimp, 2 small scallops and some scrod, they said it was just good. One of us had the crabs she was disappointed they were very small and not cold.

Next time we would go to the 15th Street Fisheries a much better restaurant which is also within 3 miles from this hotel.

We got back to our hotel and went to the pool bar where we had some cocktails and listened to some live music.

It was time to go to sleep and wake up to board the beautiful Allure of the Seas.

I just got back picking up pets and grocery shopping I be adding more to this review until its completed.

Can somebody explain to me how to post photos here? I don't have to post them but it be nicer.

EbayCruiser- I don't recommend Boardwalk for a few reasons, but remember we all are different.

1- One evening the crew has its crew party in boardwalk where that area is totally blocked off from 10pm and no passenger can enter that area during this time and day. It goes on to the wee hours from what I was told by two crew members and I assume it could get noisy.

2- There is really no breeze the air flow is more stuffy in this area and its much more warmer here outside than central park.

3- It could be noisy at times

4- The people that are zip lining pass right above your balcony and if you enjoy seeing that then there won't be a problem but to me it be annoying seeing somebody go by in the air while on my balcony...you may say it be great people watching but when you see a few you seen them all.

5- You really don't get much of an ocean view at all, if your in the very rear of the ship you have better view of the ocean if your in the very beginning to central part its very very limited, if you like to see the sea this is not the area to have your cabin.

My daughter had central park view, it is very nice, there is usually always a constant breeze in this area and never felt hot like the boardwalk area did. At night its all lit up with lights, during the day its gorgeous, you will see flowering trees and scrubs, palm trees, all tropical plants, hanging vines down to planters hanging on trellises. Its very pretty and well planned out. They also have recording of different birds and crickets, its very faint and very tranquil, all 7 of us said this was our favorite spot.

There is no total privacy if you expect this from having a cabin on boardwalk and central park because everybody opposite of you has balconies also and can look right at you on your balcony and inside your cabins. I would choose Central Park over boardwalk but I rather have the total view of the sea. ;)

HI lyndamr!

Thank you so far for your detailed review. We just booked Allure for Feb 2015 in a Central Park Balcony. I feel good now about picking this type of cabin. This will be our first time on Allure.

Looking forward to the rest of the review:)

Ali

Hopefully I can figure out how to post photos I give it a try now:

It did not work I am sorry I don't understand how to get the photos on here but you definitely will get the review.

Edited by lyndamr

Hi Ali,

You won't be disappointed in the location which cabin did you choose?

HI!

We booked # 10607. Its somewhere in the middle of Central Park. We got a great deal with the half off sale, plus our balcony discount, plus some perks for booking onboard.

Ali

Hi Lynda. I have to respectfully disagree about the boardwalk being stuffy and uncomfortable. This has rarely been the case during my 3 Oasis class cruises.

Central Park is great but there have been times that there has been no breeze and it can get quite warm due to this area being closed off except for at top.

As for the crew party on the boardwalk, this is the first time I've heard of this happening

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

I was on this sailing as well. The crew party on the Boardwalk was to recognize their 60 day accident free. It was a bit of a bummer to not have access to the ice cream shop or Johnny Rockets that night. We found someplace else to spend money though!

Hello Budsy, we are all different, for me and my other half Boardwalk never really had a breeze there like the Central Park area always did but there was a breeze at the very end where the Aquatheatre was. Perhaps it depends upon the wind direction, but we went to Central Park nearly everyday and there always was a nice comfortable breeze there guess we lucked out.

Sleepless I am sorry we did not bring back the compass but if you access Bugsy's or other members Allure reviews you should find it somewhere. I send you a link I hope this helps:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0yek56w4zcfxj5/sUx_-2AzJH

Edited by lyndamr

REVIEW:

ARRIVING AT THE ALLURE OF THE SEAS

I made prior reservations for a Mercedes Benz Springer to take us from the hotel to the Allure. The driver arrived at the hotel on time at 10:30 and it was a very short 5 minute drive time to the ship/terminal. Our driver took our bags out of the vehicle where the porter took our bags to have them delivered to our cabins.

Upon entering the terminal, you will go through security where they scan your carry on items just like they do at the airports. You then walk into this large room and you will find many different lines, which are labeled and you check in according to which deck you are on. We prepaid our beverage packages, my daughter and her bf had the ultimate package, my sister in law the replenish package and the rest of us had the premium package and when they gave us our sign and sail cards it already had the sticker showing we paid for the package. Your photos are also taken at the check in counter.

After check in your are placed into sections in a very large room, this is where you wait until they allow you to board the ship. There are sections divided into "status" which are gold, platinum, emerald and diamond. My other half and myself are platinum and the rest of the family were gold. We mentioned this to the person who guided us to the proper section to sit at, and she allowed all our family to sit at the platinum with us. This was very nice to board all together.

The higher status board first and this went very fast, we were on the ship by 11:30am. You enter the ship at level 5 which is Royal Promenade deck. This deck contained Sorrento's Pizza, Cafe Promenade, many shops, cupcake cupboard, the lovely Champagne Bar, Guest Services, Rising Tide Bar, Bow and Stern Pub, On Air Club, Boleros, Amber theatre and one of the three levels of the main dining room.

We proceeded to the rear of the ship where we conveniently got into the elevator and went up to the Windjammer for lunch. We were one of the first groups to board so it was not crowded but what they do here now is they have two lines, one for each side of the windjammer and they actually take you to a table. You do not have to find a table any longer as they seat you to one, but it does form a line to get into the Windjammer but the line moved very fast during the entire cruise. I don't think we ever waited longer than 5 minutes for a table here and we had breakfast up here a number of times along with lunch.

More to come.

REVIEW:

ARRIVING AT THE ALLURE OF THE SEAS

I made prior reservations for a Mercedes Benz Springer to take us from the hotel to the Allure. The driver arrived at the hotel on time at 10:30 and it was a very short 5 minute drive time to the ship/terminal. Our driver took our bags out of the vehicle where the porter took our bags to have them delivered to our cabins.

Upon entering the terminal, you will go through security where they scan your carry on items just like they do at the airports. You then walk into this large room and you will find many different lines, which are labeled and you check in according to which deck you are on. We prepaid our beverage packages, my daughter and her bf had the ultimate package, my sister in law the replenish package and the rest of us had the premium package and when they gave us our sign and sail cards it already had the sticker showing we paid for the package. Your photos are also taken at the check in counter.

After check in your are placed into sections in a very large room, this is where you wait until they allow you to board the ship. There are sections divided into "status" which are gold, platinum, emerald and diamond. My other half and myself are platinum and the rest of the family were gold. We mentioned this to the person who guided us to the proper section to sit at, and she allowed all our family to sit at the platinum with us. This was very nice to board all together.

The higher status board first and this went very fast, we were on the ship by 11:30am. You enter the ship at level 5 which is Royal Promenade deck. This deck contained Sorrento's Pizza, Cafe Promenade, many shops, cupcake cupboard, the lovely Champagne Bar, Guest Services, Rising Tide Bar, Bow and Stern Pub, On Air Club, Boleros, Amber theatre and one of the three levels of the main dining room.

We proceeded to the rear of the ship where we conveniently got into the elevator and went up to the Windjammer for lunch. We were one of the first groups to board so it was not crowded but what they do here now is they have two lines, one for each side of the windjammer and they actually take you to a table. You do not have to find a table any longer as they seat you to one, but it does form a line to get into the Windjammer but the line moved very fast during the entire cruise. I don't think we ever waited longer than 5 minutes for a table here and we had breakfast up here a number of times along with lunch.

More to come.

Hopefully they have the same system on the Oasis as the Allure as far as Windjammer seating.

Upon boarding, we went directly to the windjammer for lunch as we all didn't eat any breakfast and were hungry. We were seated by staff at a nice table that accommodated all 7 of us.

There were many choices of food to choose from:

Salad bar- mixed greens, feta cheese, along with other items I rate it good to very good.

There was meat carving of prime rib, which was tender and very lean, and they provided gravy and horseradish if you choose to take it, the meat was very good.

There were two soups available, veggies, rice, fried rice, mashed potatoes, fish, chicken, some ethnic cuisine such as some mexican and asian dishes, burgers, fries, hot dogs, turkey burgers, side items for burgers, a pork dish with sauce that was very tasty and a meat dish with sauce, shepards pie and other dishes. Everything was fresh and good quality and tasty.

They had an area with desserts but I need to be both gluten and dairy free so I did not have any dessert but two days later a staff member heard me talking to family about I wished there was something for me to eat for dessert besides jello and she bought me gluten free cookies which were THE BEST COOKIES I ever eaten...all you have to do is ask for the gluten free cookies. I will speak about my diet restrictions in another post after this.

We had plans of going to the specialty restaurants to change our dining times to later as we were not able to reserve them online for 7:30pm so we grabbed the 6pm in hopes we can change the time. Fortunately for us an officer came up to his and introduced himself forgot his name it was a long name but he was extremely friendly and nice and happened to be a head waiter of the main dining room. He asked of he can be any assistance to us and we mention that we would like to change our dining times and add a second evening to dine at Chops. He took down our cabin information and told us consider it all done. We were given these "wow cards" upon checking in, they are given to us to give any staff who we felt went out of their way recognition, we filled one in for this officer and a few mornings he found us eating breakfast at the windjammer and we had some friendly conversation and laughs with him. We were very lucky he came up to us because it saved us the time and trouble of going to the specialty restaurants to change our dining times and add a second evening at Chops.

At 1:30 our cabins were ready so we proceeded to our cabins to drop off our carry on bags. The cabin is your typical neat and clean cabin, our beds were together as we requested online, the bathroom has plenty of shelf space for storage as did the stateroom. Our bed was next to the closet, now there are many that complain about this but we did not find it any problem. The balcony is a very decent size and contained two chairs and a nice size tall table that made it very easy to place things on and easier if you want to eat breakfast on the balcony. The room was not very cool and we checked and noticed it was set on the lowest setting, I called maintenance to come to check it out and make our room cooler. I asked for them to come when we were eating dinner but was told they can fix it in the hallway. Maintence was there in the hallway within 17 minutes but unfortunately when we went back to the cabin after the muster drill the room still was not cool enough.

DSCF0631_zps2f872eba.jpg.c256cf204acbe16d912d11d19310e71a.jpg

DSCF0632_zpsa0a48060.jpg.595d758180829105e987ace1d2d71454.jpg

DSCF0634_zpsa7b4d9f5.jpg.b62299fab09eaa51f2aee4d1971c1567.jpg

DSCF0484_zpsb9e8f3a6.jpg.d335587555b5a63805194a0164677d74.jpg

Edited by lyndamr