No "nickle and diming" on Disney?

MaiTaiMary

I'm curious then, whether they do not let you carry around drinks as on other lines? As in, can you still get a drink at a bar and carry it in to a show, or whatever? If so, then how do they know if you bought it at a bar or brought it from your room? Not trying to start any kind of debate/argument or anything, just honestly wondering. Going on my first Disney cruise in August, and the per-person rate for this 3-day cruise, would be about what it was on my last 7-day cruise. So I'm not looking to spend any extra (except the shopping...Disney souvenirs will be my downfall!:):))

Yes, you can order a drink in one of the bars and take it somewhere else onboard. No, they would not be able to distinguish between that and a drink you poured yourself in your room and carried around.

Many of DCL's polices rely on their guest's sense of personal responsibility for enforcement.

The policy states that alcohol brought onboard is to be consumed in your room. Except for bottles of wine which you may bring to the MDRs to be consumed (with corkage fee).

From the DCL website:

Q:May Guests bring alcohol onboard?

A:While adult Guests ages 21 and older may bring alcohol onboard, the following guidelines apply:

•Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.

•Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/preparing-for-your-cruise/alcohol-onboard-policy/

Your call.

From what I've read on other DCL boards, while DCL has that rule, they don't usually enforce it as long as you're not roaring drunk in a public area, kwim?

It's kind of like at DLR, they say no outside food, but you can bring in food, and they see it at bag check, and ignore it. It's not enforced at all.

I'm curious then, whether they do not let you carry around drinks as on other lines? As in, can you still get a drink at a bar and carry it in to a show, or whatever? If so, then how do they know if you bought it at a bar or brought it from your room? Not trying to start any kind of debate/argument or anything, just honestly wondering. Going on my first Disney cruise in August, and the per-person rate for this 3-day cruise, would be about what it was on my last 7-day cruise. So I'm not looking to spend any extra (except the shopping...Disney souvenirs will be my downfall!:):))

If you're walking around with a drink in your cup, no one is going to ask you where you got it (unless maybe it's a child obviously drinking something alcoholic). You can pour it into a glass or a souvenir cup and take it anywhere on the ship. This goes for any cruise line, Disney included.

What you shouldn't do is bring a bottle of alcohol into a public place and pour from it. Rather common logic. Like don't bring a handle of vodka to the bar. Don't bring your own bottle of wine to the main dining room (unless you want to pay a corkage fee).

Disney Cruise Line is definitely the most relaxed about alcohol in comparison to others I have sailed (Royal Caribbean, Princess, Carnival, Norwegian). When you purchase alcohol in port, no matter the quantity, you can take it straight through security and to your stateroom and consume onboard, while other cruise lines will require you to check your alcohol purchases, and they hold it until the final evening of the cruise.

True that they won't know where the alcohol came from if you carry a drink around....but it also might depend on the kind of glassware/cup/mug you're using.

Two funny stories:

My friend and I arrived at dinner one night with our own Banfi (a sparkling wine like champagne) in the wine glasses that were provided in our stateroom. Our server came and took our orders, and came back with two champagne glasses to transfer our Banfi into. Apparently it bothered him that we weren't using the correct glassware. :D:D He never said a word, we just laughed.

One day I was sitting in the Promenade Lounge, playing a trivia game. I had a small plastic bottle of Pepsi with me. A server came over and asked me if I had bought the Pepsi on the ship, and I said that I hadn't, that I brought it onboard with me. She kind of lauged and said that another passenger had seen it, and wanted to know where SHE could get some Pepsi. :p

Apparently she'd never read any discussion boards, or Disney info, to know that she could bring her own soda onboard, or that they only have Coke products.

Anyway....point is, most likely no one will say anything to you. I think the only time I'd be a bit more careful would be when taking a drink to dinner. Appropriate glassware!!! LOL

MizDaisy

Very cute glass story :D

I really appreciate DCL's policy of bringing on wine at ports. I could never do this with Celebrity!

I've got a glass story. While on our DCL cruise last week I asked my room steward for wine glasses.

He gave me fluted champagne glasses. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

When in the MDR I walked by a clean wine glass and asked if I could take it to my cabin.

I hate drinking from the wrong type of glass!:eek:

I really appreciate DCL's policy of bringing on wine at ports. I could never do this with Celebrity!

I've got a glass story. While on our DCL cruise last week I asked my room steward for wine glasses.

When in the MDR I walked by a clean wine glass and asked if I could take it to my cabin.

It can get frustrating, because we've asked for champagne glasses and they almost always bring wine glasses. I can only think of a couple of times that they actually brought us the champagne glasses. That's one nice thing about the suites, they have the stemware stocked.

I like the wine policy on DCL as well. It would be nice to try a local wine on board to enjoy on the balcony...of course drinking from a Disney wine glass.

When you purchase alcohol in port, no matter the quantity, you can take it straight through security and to your stateroom and consume onboard, while other cruise lines will require you to check your alcohol purchases, and they hold it until the final evening of the cruise.

Correct. And they don't even care if that alcohol came from The Forbidden Island. :cool:

Correct. And they don't even care if that alcohol came from The Forbidden Island. :cool:

Yup, but you can't bring it off of the ship into the US, you have to consume it on the ship or toss it.

Thanks for the responses about the drinks...I'm not really looking to break rules or anything, I just wanted to completely understand their policies. I appreciate that their alcohol policy is more relaxed than Royal Caribbean's, which is the only line I have cruised with before. I'm sure I'll end up buying a few drinks and/or a bottle of wine to share with my sister at dinner regardless (funny, she never drank wine until she had kids, but I guess that is another topic.:D).

We have a 12 pack of beer leftover from our resort stay- okay to carry on in our rollerbag if well cushioned and sealed in trashbag?

It doesn't even need to be well cushioned or in the garbage bag. You could carry a sixer on in the cardboard or using the plastic ring thing. Enjoy your cruise!