HAL website shows cruise is sold out...

LindaM

OK, please don't slam me. Would it be possible for a travel agency to have some cabins blocked that aren't on the HAL website? My aunt (she's only 14 years older) and her younger friend finally committed to going and they are so excited. Unfortunately, when I checked the website, it looks like the cruise (which departs in a little over 2 months) is sold out. I do not want to be the one to tell her!! Is there any hope???

OK, please don't slam me. Would it be possible for a travel agency to have some cabins blocked that aren't on the HAL website? My aunt (she's only 14 years older) and her younger friend finally committed to going and they are so excited. Unfortunately, when I checked the website, it looks like the cruise (which departs in a little over 2 months) is sold out. I do not want to be the one to tell her!! Is there any hope???

I think your best bet would be to telephone HAL. August is prime time for Alaska, and demand is high.

yes, some TA's do have blocks of cabins and HAL could just be assigning cabins/figuring things out as well. I would definitely call as has been suggested to at least check out availability.

I think your best bet would be to telephone HAL. August is prime time for Alaska, and demand is high.

Thanks for the responses on this holiday weekend!! This is for Iceland/Prinsendam. I noticed the cruises to the North Cape/Fjords are sold out as well. Must be popular itineraries !! I will keep my fingers crossed! The last time my aunt cruised, they had to leave the ship and spend a week on St. Maarten because of health issues. Hope she will be lucky this time!

Thanks for the responses on this holiday weekend!! This is for Iceland/Prinsendam. I noticed the cruises to the North Cape/Fjords are sold out as well. Must be popular itineraries !! I will keep my fingers crossed! The last time my aunt cruised, they had to leave the ship and spend a week on St. Maarten because of health issues. Hope she will be lucky this time!

I can guarantee "from experience" that if it says "sold out" it might not really be. A call should answer the question.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. The TA said the entire ship is waitlisted, but she seems to think she will have a cabin for my aunt and her friend in a day or two. What??? I don't know the ins and outs of guarantees and how cabins are sold. I thought it is more likely for a ship to be oversold and people are offered credits/discounts for a future cruise. Is it possible for certain TA's to have more clout? Doesn't sound right to me...

HAL has been in this business for over a hundred years. They know how to do this, and they keep a sizeable portion of that information to themselves.

Have you considered checking some on line cruise agencies? I just checked one site that shows staterooms available in four categories for the August 10 Prinsendam.

My TA had about 20 cabins blocked' date=' and they have until a certain date before sailing to sell them all or return the "unsold" ones to the inventory. I have no idea what the deadline is.[/quote']

Its likely final payment date, which for most cruises is 75 days prior to sailing.

DaveOKC

It's sad that some have become so snippy on these boards that someone has to preface with "please don't slam me" before asking a question.

Yes, travel agents can have cabins held in a group block. Generally, this close to departure, however, they are released. My guess is the sailing is sold out.

I don't see one single slam here. Perception?

I misread that post as well. It was because I started my post negatively... I regret starting my post that way. I was afraid people would think it was a stupid question.

I misread that post as well. It was because I started my post negatively... I regret starting my post that way. I was afraid people would think it was a stupid question.

It's not a stupid question. I hope you get the answer you need.

Thanks for the responses on this holiday weekend!! This is for Iceland/Prinsendam. I noticed the cruises to the North Cape/Fjords are sold out as well. Must be popular itineraries !! she !

The ship is small and the itinerary is very popular for frequent cruisers looking for something different. (We did N Cape and Fjords and the ship was sold out by final payment.) Good luck.

Keep asking around. I'd call HAL, as well as a couple huge internet brokers. There may be a handful of rooms on hold or some that will be turned back to HAL when final is due.

The ship is small and the itinerary is very popular for frequent cruisers looking for something different. (We did N Cape and Fjords and the ship was sold out by final payment.) Good luck.

Keep asking around. I'd call HAL, as well as a couple huge internet brokers. There may be a handful of rooms on hold or some that will be turned back to HAL when final is due.

Thanks...the final payment was due more than a month ago. Their TA seems positive...may be she thinks she can find something from a place you suggested. I would guess that some TA's might have some sort of reciprocal arrangement at times.

I think N. Cape could be our next trip, to take advantage of being able to sail Prinsendam while she is still around. We saw parts of that area when Amazing Race was there. We've done the Fjords, but don't mind doing things again!

Thanks...the final payment was due more than a month ago. Their TA seems positive...may be she thinks she can find something from a place you suggested. I would guess that some TA's might have some sort of reciprocal arrangement at times.

I think N. Cape could be our next trip, to take advantage of being able to sail Prinsendam while she is still around. We saw parts of that area when Amazing Race was there. We've done the Fjords, but don't mind doing things again!

Please do let us know how it turns out - I do hope happily!

Like you, we shall sail the EE while she is around and looking forward to being back on board shortly. I'll think of you in Meteora - thank you for the inspiration to look at that.

Please do let us know how it turns out - I do hope happily!

Like you, we shall sail the EE while she is around and looking forward to being back on board shortly. I'll think of you in Meteora - thank you for the inspiration to look at that.

Hopefully we will get there someday!! What is funny is that I cancelled this trip because even the Las Vegas oddsmakers thought the Detroit Tigers would get to the World Series---and we needed to be around to get our tickets on our home computer. In the past week, we've gone from the best to barely scraping by. Baseball fans will know what I'm talking about! That's OK...Dave will have his Iceland trip, and possibly we'll be able share this experience with my aunt.