B2B on Silhouette Long Review

cruiseerf

For the crew, was there a sense of relief that you could perceive when your second cruise began?

I always thought it would be interesting to do a TA cruise as it use to be a traditional way to travel overseas. Any romanticism I have is now gone by this review and others. I don't fall into the demographic and the concentrated number of complainers over the smallest things would make me want to jump ship.

I wouldn't determine whether or not to do a TA based on some complainers here on CC. In fact, there are lots of folks here on CC who love TAs and do them annually. My spouse and I don't (yet?) fit in that category, but we've done two TAs and have two more booked. We love sea days, and it's a great way to cross the ocean if you aren't keen on flying.

It is true that the demographic will probably skew a little older than, say, a one-week Caribbean cruise, and if you find that a problem, then by all means, leave the TAs to the rest of us. :)

I do not believe there are necessarily more complainers on Transats however im sure after so many seadays people get what we call here cabin fever ...happens in winter when for days it is so bitterly cold you hesitate to go out ....we had such a winter this year .People who do not work just stayed indoors .on ships activities can be limited if you have no ports so of course you have too much time on hand and can nitpik everything to death

If howver you see seadays as relaxation and well deserved stress release then it is a plus when I went to Hawaii i sat at the back of the ship ..nice and comfy ..and just watch the waves and our captain manoeuvre out of every storms way ..It was art .You could see rain in the distance on either side as we sailed in the sun ...it was awesome

But i was content to admire the ocean ...and my wonderful waiter loved to bring me a big glass of grapefruit juice every time he saw me

What you make of a cruise is your business ...you can grump and gripe about it all or just can Breathe and enjoy and let little things slllllide ....its your choice

I think you know what I would do .....

Michele

Honestly, other than the crabby lady at our table, I really didn't hear any complaints (until I got off the ship and started reading here). These cruises are so fun and relaxing, I actually spent less time on activities this year than any other.

I thought we might get some complaints that our large 20-30 person group took up so much of the Sunset Bar space every night, but never heard an unkind word.

Now, when I started reading the things people were complaining about, I can understand why some might have the wrong impression. There have been some VERY nitpicking issues discussed here, things I would never think to complain about (like the lack of food at the Captains Club party). Yes, I DO think they could do a better job of providing no-cost activities, like the egg drop contest. I sailed on a very small cruise ship years ago that had lots of things like that, horse races where we all decorated our own horses and then ran them around a track based on rolls of the dice, etc. I also know the art classes were very popular (even the fee ones) and they don't have enough for everyone--no reason why not, especially if they're charging. But the bottom line is that we always found something to do and we had a fabulous time, can't wait to do it again!

When you cruise on a transatlantic you know in the back of your mind that you are going to be at sea for a long time.

It is wonderful because you really don't have to "do" anything. People are going to complain but the beauty is that these ships are large enough to get away from the complainers. It's their problem not ours.....We enjoy restful days at sea and coffees and walking and just taking it all in. Even an afternoon movie in the cabin....If they sit next to us in cafe bacio, we move up to the sunset bar....ships have so many options.

Sometimes we even stay up from 12-4AM watching movies and sleep till 2PM the next day!!! Why not! Where are you going? These cruises are great for people who are able to leave the "norm" behind....and change with the time and the sea.

We will cruise a Transatlantic next year. Just not sure which line.

Cheers! ERF

The transatlantic was a very good crossing. Given the competitive cost, it provided a very good value....EXCEPT for the internet which was mostly down l

perhaps due to equipment malfunctions. Normally 85% of the crossing has adequate or better internet as this was our fourth crossing. On this one seems

like 10% worked. But we had connectivity to celebrity.com which meant the

satellite connection was working.

Most don't realize that in an emergency some reasonable amount of connectivity is vital. More of us are older and more crises seem to arise where we need timely awareness to act.

That no email for 4 to 5 days is not permissible. They need backup for their systems.

Just an old guy's opinion with major travel experience, millions of air, over

ten thousand hotel days, and hundreds of cruises.

The Silhouette on the crossing and the subsequent cruise had the WORST internet I have had since the internet came onto cruise ships.

I normally buy the 1600 minute package however we had elite coupons so I got the lesser one. I was Very happy. We lost internet for 4 or 5 days straight on the Silhouette AND They told us to try logging in after midnight!!!! funny, but it did work at 2AM when I got in late. This should not be.

They blamed the satellite and said they were working for more space......This was for the whole 26 days for us. No refunds were offered or received.

Last year on the Reflection, we had internet everywhere and every minute...fast and often....this year......Nada.

Why must we always nitpick someones posting. We cannot be politically correct with every word we use. I am sure that person never meant something bad when they used the word. It is a description of a condition that is very common throughout the world. Can you come up with a better description?

Lets be less critical of those who take the time to post. JMHO!

Excellent comment!

OP wrote a very fair, objective and honest review.

Thank you.

I was enjoying your review until I read your odd comment about obese people! :eek::confused::mad: I can understand your comment about the card playing table hoggers, but what did the obese people do to merit such an observation and comment? Did you count the number of thin/short/tall/bald/hairy people as well?

I feel sorry for people who are so easily offended.

It was an interesting observation -- one that I'm glad the OP noted. There was absolutely nothing derogatory whatsoever about making that observation.

I'm a bald Hispanic. Had the OP made the observation that, suddenly between cruises, a large number of bald men and/or Hispanics joined the cruise, I would have found it equally interesting and not in the least bit offensive.

Then again, those finding offense with a simple, non-derogatory observation are also probably the same "Elites" that complained constantly. After all, is there much difference between complaining about not being able to use free coupons at the Martini bar and complaining about simple observations?

We were on the Silhouette TA in April..Just loved it...this was our 3rd and I find them so relaxing..Food was great and we never had a problem with getting a seat in the buffet but there were some days when you really had to look..We are flying over to Rome in November and bringing back the Constellation...Hope we have the great weather again.

Many thanks for your thoughtful comments. Looking forward to our T/A on Silhouette on Nov. 1. as we sailed with her in April. Waiting for a suite opening, but either way we will be on board. Very friendly and attentive staff on Silhouette based on our past sailings.

I wouldn't determine whether or not to do a TA based on some complainers here on CC. In fact, there are lots of folks here on CC who love TAs and do them annually. My spouse and I don't (yet?) fit in that category, but we've done two TAs and have two more booked. We love sea days, and it's a great way to cross the ocean if you aren't keen on flying.

It is true that the demographic will probably skew a little older than, say, a one-week Caribbean cruise, and if you find that a problem, then by all means, leave the TAs to the rest of us. :)

Very happy to be your host at the Molecular Bar, and toast your comments. Well done.

Perico Pal

So looking forward to sailing on the Silhouette in Dec. to the Caribbean! Even though I am Elite, it is only because I have sailed on RCCL so many times. I sailed on Celebrity when it first came out and back then, on the Horizon I swear we wanted to lick the plates clean at every meal, then sad to say it was just the opposite when we were on the very last sailing of the Horizon, that we actually went out to dinner in Bermuda several times. Both food and service was sub-par in the MDR.

It would take a lot for us to complain about any cruise as we love being on a ship going anywhere, anytime!!! I think that most of the people that work on ships have a very difficult job when you think that they work 7 days a week and many times 12 plus hours a day! I know they do not get paid enough even with the tips, to do what they do, yet I have always found that if you greet them with a smile they greet you back that way.

As for other passengers, I have to say I would be disturbed if they were so rude as to not consider others that would like a seat to eat lunch, and either move their game inside for a while, or just take a break. I think I know a couple of husbands that I might have to control from making comments if that were the case, don't even want to think about that!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us your review!!

I did just post on the boards and would like to hear what you saw on your two cruises, did you see men without jackets in the MDR on formal evenings?

Thanks again!

We board the Silhouette in two weeks so your comments are welcomed and helpful. I do like your balanced view and thought the description of the demographics on the TA was very helpful. I understand some of the disappointment long-time Celebrity cruisers have with some of the changes. But I don't think many of them (except for less exciting entertainment) will bother us. Not excited for overdone steaks either but now I know to order rare if I want medium rare!! We are dining in Blu so perhaps that's different.

Thanks again.

OP, thank you for your comments. We, too, were on the TA, and have been intending to write about it ever since.

This is Mrs. Shipgeeks writing; Mr. will probably write, as well.

Overall, we were very happy with the cruise.

Our cabin, an Ocean View on Deck 3, was wonderful. Our cabin attendants, Anthony and John, were outstanding.

I eat mainly vegetarian, and I found virtually every dish very tasty and nicely presented. Even though the menu always lists vegetarian items, if you are so inclined, it is worth asking for the vegetarian menu as well. Our MDR servers, Alex and Yazmyn, and Assistant Head Waiter, Anna, did an exemplary job. They had to deal with some very difficult passengers, and did so in a completely professional and caring way, and went out of their way to satisfy their wishes.

In Oceanview Café, the new tea, Fields&Select, was the best tea we've ever had. The coffee, Jamaica Blue Mountain, was great the first four days, then became weak.

In Sky Lounge, at the Elite evening cocktail parties, we found all servers to be excellent. In particular, we were impressed with Braulio, Alin, Elif, Luv, and Tamara.

Now, I did have a few disappointments, and they were with a small number of our fellow passengers. Apart from the dining room complainers and demanders (who also ordered extra, custom-made courses, sent items back for replacements, and then moaned that dinner takes too long), I sensed a feeling of greed or entitlement here and there. Some seemed determined to get the greatest number of drinks, coffees, lox, juices and other items that they could possibly ingest.

Then there were the men who walked around the ship and in elevators with no shirts on. Decorum?

The ports were wonderful. We did not take any excursions, choosing to walk and explore each place on our own, having done some pre-cruise research. That was a very good decision. Naples, especially, was outstanding. We were so busy looking and experiencing that we neglected to take pictures.

Overall, an outstanding ship, itinerary, and cruise.

• 4 months later...
Me too..

FINALLY...we are down to counting just days until we fly to Rome to board the Silhouette for another T/A to Ft. Lauderdale. We have enjoyed her particular styleon Nov. 5 with champagne surrounded by friendly cruisers.

This time we are allowing a few days in Rome to recover from the flight from JFK rather than rushing from airport to pier. We are staying at Hotel Artemide,, Via ****onale,22 and would be glad to host a pre-boarding toast to fellow passengers should you be interested in joining us.

Now to pack and our thoughts go to the good times that lie ahead.

Perico Pal & Myra