Newbie questions regarding Papeete/Moorea

Luckyladyh

Have not been to the area before. Flying in two days early before a PG 7 day cruise.

I have tried to read through the threads - a bit confused on geography We are on Air Tahiti Nui and fly into Papeete - where should we get a hotel? Which city?

Are Papeete and Moorea close by? How do you get from one to the other? I see comments on IC for both cities - but unsure how we would get from one city to the other.

I was also curious - seems like alot of negative posts overall about the ships and the area - people keep saying they were disappointed - I am starting to think I made a mistake - I thought this was to be the cruise of all cruises due to the beautiful area. I am a little scared now - but can't back out of our October cruise.

Thanks for any advice on an area and a hotel. Not on a budget this time!

Have not been to the area before. Flying in two days early before a PG 7 day cruise.

I have tried to read through the threads - a bit confused on geography We are on Air Tahiti Nui and fly into Papeete - where should we get a hotel? Which city?

Are Papeete and Moorea close by? How do you get from one to the other? I see comments on IC for both cities - but unsure how we would get from one city to the other.

I was also curious - seems like alot of negative posts overall about the ships and the area - people keep saying they were disappointed - I am starting to think I made a mistake - I thought this was to be the cruise of all cruises due to the beautiful area. I am a little scared now - but can't back out of our October cruise.

Thanks for any advice on an area and a hotel. Not on a budget this time!

Is that 2 days or 2 nights?

Don't worry ........... you will love the PG

Edited by Tikiintahiti

We will be there for two nights before the cruise leaves on Saturday. Then we it returns the following Saturday, our flight doesn't depart until almost midnight I believe, so we need something for the day.

How long is the fast catamaran? Is Moorea an option I should be looking into for a stay - or is Papeete better. I don't want to spend hours messing around getting to a hotel, as we would have flown overnight and will be tired.

Thanks for your responses!

We will be there for two nights before the cruise leaves on Saturday. Then we it returns the following Saturday, our flight doesn't depart until almost midnight I believe, so we need something for the day.

How long is the fast catamaran? Is Moorea an option I should be looking into for a stay - or is Papeete better. I don't want to spend hours messing around getting to a hotel, as we would have flown overnight and will be tired.

Thanks for your responses!

Here is the big question. What time does your flight arrive into Papeete? If it's the evening then you can't get over to Moorea that night, you would be forced to stay on Tahiti. In that case it would be just best to stay 2 nights on Tahiti prior to your cruise.

If your flight arrives early morning or lets say before 2:00 pm to can stay on Moorea for 2 nights, then it's something to consider, but for only one night I'd tell you to pass, your cruise will more likely have a day or 2 on Moorea ....

Our intinerary is as follows:

Papeete

Huahine, Society Islands

Taha (motu mahana)

Bora Bora

Bora Bora

Moorea

Papeete

Our flight to Papeete is overnight and arrives early morning.

Our departure from Papeete back to LAX leaves at 11PM.

Thanks for your help and recommendations. For some reason I am having a problem visualizing the area. Is Papeete more of an industrial type/business area - or is it also considered a resort area?

Moorea is an island, not a city, btw, a very nice island. But for two nights, it's most most practical to stay on the island of Tahiti, but you can make Moorea work if you try, since you could fly straight there on air Tahiti in the morning, or take a cab to the ferry, which docks very close to the Paul Gauguin. The flight takes about 15 minutes I believe, the ferry obviously a bit longer, but fairly quick.

Papeete is a bustling small city, without much to recommend it, really, but it's not industrial, just commercial. Most of the hotels that people stay at are slightly outside of the city, either near the airport or further along the coast. There are some very nice resort-style hotels to choose from there, and on Moorea.

Are you doing air with PG Cruises, or independently?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Our intinerary is as follows:

Papeete

Huahine, Society Islands

Taha (motu mahana)

Bora Bora

Bora Bora

Moorea

Papeete

Our flight to Papeete is overnight and arrives early morning.

Our departure from Papeete back to LAX leaves at 11PM.

Thanks for your help and recommendations. For some reason I am having a problem visualizing the area. Is Papeete more of an industrial type/business area - or is it also considered a resort area?

So you could have 2 nights and lets say 2 1/2 days on Moorea prior to boarding the PG. However, you will have one day back on Moorea during the cruise.

Moorea is beautiful and deserves more than a day of your attention if at all possible. I wouldn't worry about flying directly to Moorea as your room might not be ready that early. Frankly if this is your first trip to FP the ferry ride over to Moorea in the early morning is breathtaking. Though it can be a bit trickier I would take a cab to the dry terminal after clearing customs and take the ferry across to Moorea.

When you leave Moorea for your cruise take the ferry back, the ferry terminal is next door to the PG mooring location ............ very easy. No need to hurry leaving Moorea, you can't board until 3pm, so checking out around 1pm and taking a 2 - 3 pm ferry acroos is perfect.

For some reason I am having a problem visualizing the area. Is Papeete more of an industrial type/business area - or is it also considered a resort area?

What will help is for you to Google "French Polynesia" and read up on and watch videos about the area to get used to the islands you will be visiting. A little research can go a long way toward getting the best use out of your vacation time.

FYI, I don't know about the hotels in Moorea, but the IC Tahiti wasn't allowing any check ins until 3:00 pm. People were welcome to use the facilities, but no room keys were given in advance of check in time.

We had booked a room for the night before so we would have one immediately on arrival, and it caused a bit of an uproar when we were handed keys while others were refused, as people didn't realize we had booked for the night before as well.

It was well with the money, as we immediately slept for a couple hours then showered. While we were sleeping, it rained and the lobby became standing room only with those waiting for rooms. Spending the extra funds made our start in FP very relaxing and enjoyable, and I would do it the same way if I ever return.

We had friends who booked air through PG on ATN, and they weren't given their day room until after 3:00 pm, and had to be out by 6:00 pm, with a late night flight. They weren't very happy about it.

I've stayed at the IC Tahiti well over 6 times, have always received a room when I got there though I've heard stories from others who were not so lucky so plan accordingly. If you chose not to pre-book the room for the prior night do know that the IC has small rooms at no charge so you can shower and change clothes ........

I've been to FP about 10 times, and find that all too often visitors use Tahiti as a rest stop, overlooking the beauty that it offers. You only have two days pre-cruise, why not explore this lovely island. (Please, no one take offense, I am not denigrating any other island).

Consider using the Intercontinental as a base to explore Tahiti. A day trip with a guide/driver into the interior would be the first on my list of must-do's. Exploring Le Marche, wandering through the streets looking at black pearls, a stop at the Pearl Museum, maybe a cold Hinano. Depending upon the days you are there, the IC might offer the entertainment show for evening entertainment. Again, depends what you want to do - my enjoyment in FP is to relax, and while I have taken the Arameti between Papeete and Moorea a few times, I would not do so as a one-day trip. Perhaps it's because Moorea is my favorite of the islands, and 1-day is never enough.....

We arrived Friday morning and took a Ferry over to Moorea for a night at the IC there. Some advised that it isn't worth the hassle to go for just one night, but I'm really glad we did. Moorea is beautiful and it was the highlight of our week. We arrived sometime around 9 or 9:30 am, I think, and our upgraded room was ready by 10 or 10:30. I wasn't paying attention to the time by that point. They gave me a phone after we used a transit room to shower and thy called us very soon after we sat down in chairs by the beach. No more than 15 minutes tops. I used my Ambassador status to schedule a late checkout and got a private transport for the 3 pm ferry back. When we returned to Papeete, we got off the Aremiti 5 and were on board the Gauguin in less than 20 minutes.

After the cruise we stayed at the IC Tahiti. The hotel and grounds are beautiful, but it's not as nice as the IC Moorea. We had to wait until 2 pm before our room was available. Fortunately, I had rented a car so my wife and I drove south for a bit to explore.

As for the Gauguin, it wasn't a bad cruise, but it wasn't awesome for us. They have some things to work on, but I wouldn't discourage anyone from experiencing French Polynesia with them. The value is definitely there considering food and alcohol are included. Drinks and food at resorts and restaurants will quickly drain your bank account.

Don't believe everything you read. Some people just can't be satisfied no matter what.

We LOVE PG and this month was our second cruise on her. Half of the ship were repeat cruisers so that speaks volumes.

We arrive at dawn in Papeete on a Air Tahiti Nui flight. I recommend taking a taxi to the ferry dock... about a 25 minute ride. There are SEVERAL early morning ferries leaving for Moorea. The ferry crossing is only about 45 minutes. We stayed at the Hilton on Moorea. IT WAS DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL. Reserve an over water bungalow. Food is pricey as is the resort, but it's the best in the area.

The last time we sailed, four years ago, we stayed at the Le Meridien in Papeete. VERY DISAPPOINTING. The Hilton Moorea is a wonderful property and it's only a 45 minute ferry ride from Papeete. It's about $17.00 per person round trip if you buy a round trip ticket.

You will want to try and prearrange an EARLY CHECK IN at the hotel or pay for the night before so you don't have to wait for your room to be ready.

ENJOY!

Don't believe everything you read. Some people just can't be satisfied no matter what.

We LOVE PG and this month was our second cruise on her. Half of the ship were repeat cruisers so that speaks volumes.

We arrive at dawn in Papeete on a Air Tahiti Nui flight. I recommend taking a taxi to the ferry dock... about a 25 minute ride. There are SEVERAL early morning ferries leaving for Moorea. The ferry crossing is only about 45 minutes. We stayed at the Hilton on Moorea. IT WAS DROP DEAD BEAUTIFUL. Reserve an over water bungalow. Food is pricey as is the resort, but it's the best in the area.

The last time we sailed, four years ago, we stayed at the Le Meridien in Papeete. VERY DISAPPOINTING. The Hilton Moorea is a wonderful property and it's only a 45 minute ferry ride from Papeete. It's about $17.00 per person round trip if you buy a round trip ticket.

You will want to try and prearrange an EARLY CHECK IN at the hotel or pay for the night before so you don't have to wait for your room to be ready.

ENJOY!

There are cheaper places to eat close to the Hilton Moorea ...........

http://idx-images.cisdata.net/acnt/images/708/AR408708/file_manager/Cheap_eats_close_to_the_Moorea_Hilton.pdf

We stayed at the Sofitel in Moorea. Huge beach and my favourite.

They gave us a bungalow immediately and our own beach bungalow in about two hours.

But we had a place to shower and change so we could hit the beach.