Alaska when to go

Cruisegirl6

Hello,

I am debating when to go, is an Alaska cruise on May 3 too early? I wonder what the weather be like there, will we see whales and bears, are the mountains more of snow or will they start turning green and would the tours all be available this early?

I am also considering September, curious what the differences are going these two months, anybody that can help us thank you!

Edited by lyndamr

If we go in September will we see snow on the mountain tops?

Depends on the summer...but we've cruised twice in September..to Glacier Bay and yes there will be snow on most mountain tops. Just not quite as dramatic as in.. ..May. We just returned form a 10 day Glacier Bay cruise(departed on 5/8) and virtually all tours were available. You can't go wrong choosing either month!

Edited by cruizinator

Mid Mary early June are our favorites times to cruise. We've done it 5 times. We have done early Sept one time and it was nice. Early summer can be less rainy than July. Each summer is different. Fewer tourists earlier in the year.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You just never know what the experience will be like.

We have been to Alaska many times and actually our best experience was in April when we were the first ship in all ports we visited for the season. Our cruising of Glacier Bay was the most spectacular of our sailings.

But you just never know because weather can change year over year, or even hour to hour when you sail Alaska.

I would have no hesitation to sail early May.

Keith

We made two recent AK cruises - late Sept and very early May (1st week).

The weather was much better in May, but the biggest difference was the longer days which made our sight seeing SO much better. For example, in Sept at Early dining we did not see miuch since it was dark. In May we actually twice saw whales from our table.

Only negative for May - the ice in Glacier Bay prevented us from getting up close to the main glacier (in Sept we got up very close and it was fantastic).

DaveOKC

Are you more likely to see calving in September because it's been warmer?

Are you more likely to see salmon spawning and/or bears feasting (on the appropriate tours of course) in September?

I have to rebook the 14 day HAL tour from this late August to next year and not sure whether to go with late May or late August..............

Are you more likely to see salmon spawning and/or bears feasting (on the appropriate tours of course) in September?

I have to rebook the 14 day HAL tour from this late August to next year and not sure whether to go with late May or late August..............

Salmon runs don't start until July, so if you go earlier you won't see bears feasting on the salmon.

There are multiple salmon runs during the summer, and the timing varies at location, therefore there are peak periods of time for bear viewing at each location. You need to research each port for those times. Also, does it matter which type of bear?

At the bottom of this Alaska Fish and Game link there is info on the bear viewing sites: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=viewing.landmammals&species=bears#anchor

alaska.org has bear viewing info too. As does each vendors web site, particularly if permits are required.

Our last trip was DIY land for the last 2 weeks of August and locals told us about bears at the local lakes/rivers/streams in the early evening. This was in Seward and Valdez.

I've seen glacier calving in June, July and August .... it happens when it happens. The most activity was at Glacier Bay when we did the small day cruise from the park .... we were staying at the Lodge for a few days mid June.