The Arizona Cruisers Invade the Southern Caribbean B2B on the Jewel of the Seas!

Ginny, thank you so much for this great review. We will be doing Southern Carib. on the Adventurer next May, 2015. I read everything and took all your suggestions to heart. Although we do not have a "knee issue" in our group of 6, we will have my parents (who are in their 80's with us) and many of your observations serve a dual purpose I believe. Thank you for this---although I am sorry you had problems out of your control. Your pictures added an extra dimension of excitement on what is to come.

We booked this cruise while on Allure last month. The Southern Carib. is one we had not done yet, and this proved a perfect time to do so. Again, thank you so very much.;)

Edited by CapeGal

I really enjoyed following along with both of your weeks. You definitely have cruising down to a science- make a plan and then be flexible when necessary. I used to compulsively plan every single port day, and then on my last cruise, we did a lot of "winging it". I always thought that the people who post that they just stayed on the ship because there is "nothing to do" on a particular island didn't do enough research.

I look forward to reading your future reviews!

Susan

p.s. We went to Curacao last year on the Carnival Freedom (it was the only ship that went the week I could cruise). We just walked around all day. If you go back and your knee is up to it, it's worth it to cross the swinging bridge and do some sightseeing on the other side. It is such a beautiful port. I have pictures in my Freedom review.

Ginny, thank you so much for this great review. We will be doing Southern Carib. on the Adventurer next May, 2015. I read everything and took all your suggestions to heart. Although we do not have a "knee issue" in our group of 6, we will have my parents (who are in their 80's with us) and many of your observations serve a dual purpose I believe. Thank you for this---although I am sorry you had problems out of your control. Your pictures added an extra dimension of excitement on what is to come.

We booked this cruise while on Allure last month. The Southern Carib. is one we had not done yet, and this proved a perfect time to do so. Again, thank you so very much.;)

You are welcome. I seem to be attuned to things like steps and I don't see it addressed in many reviews. There are many issues that can affect mobility. Perhaps I have the knee issue so I can be aware enough of these things so I can report back to all of the other people who have any mobility concerns.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed following along with both of your weeks. You definitely have cruising down to a science- make a plan and then be flexible when necessary. I used to compulsively plan every single port day, and then on my last cruise, we did a lot of "winging it". I always thought that the people who post that they just stayed on the ship because there is "nothing to do" on a particular island didn't do enough research.

I look forward to reading your future reviews!

Susan

p.s. We went to Curacao last year on the Carnival Freedom (it was the only ship that went the week I could cruise). We just walked around all day. If you go back and your knee is up to it, it's worth it to cross the swinging bridge and do some sightseeing on the other side. It is such a beautiful port. I have pictures in my Freedom review.

I am looking forward to a return to Curacao. I feel as if I got cheated out on this port. Darn knee! Oh well, a good reason to return.

I agree that I have a hard time staying on the ship in almost any port......ok, Ensenada may be the exception. It is a big world and there is a lot to see! Even if I have been to a port there is usually something else to do.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

We stayed after the speakers were done to mingle a bit. Looking down at the pool we noticed something big was about to begin. Was it true? Yes! We had a bird’s eye view to the Famous Belly Flop Contest!

DSC00706-L.jpg

DSC00727-L.jpg

DSC00736-L.jpg

Carly B even turned around and counted votes pressed up the window from some of our group.

Most of the day was uneventful. It was our day to relax. I decided I wanted to catch up with my book and what better way to relax....with a book...with a pool view and an ocean view.....in air conditioned comfort? After lunch at the Sea View Cafe we got some Iced Tea from the Windjammer below and made ourselves comfortable in the Vortex Lounge with feet up, looking out those spacious windows. That lounge is truly one of the best kept secrets on the ship, especially in the daytime. Great views, and you virtually have it to yourself. I probably shouldn't let my little secret slip. I read my book, worked on my pictures and watched the world pass by to my heart’s content. Steve went down to the internet cafe for awhile. It was a perfect afternoon.

As I had mentioned much earlier in this review this was our first, now second, cruise as Diamonds. Since the first cruise was so busy we had paid little to no attention to the benefits other than taking advantage to some to the discounts offered. We had used our BOGO wine offer, the Logo Shop discount, the internet discount, the free pictures, and the laundry bag special in week one. Besides that we had not done anything. I did notice the Diamond Lounge set up in the evenings from 5-8PM in the Hollywood Odyssey right next to the Vortex on Deck 13. I thought it was just a bar and offered nothing else, from what I had read previously. Since we seldom have more than a glass of wine at dinner it held little interest for us. But we figured tonight maybe we had better check it out.

I was prepared for the Diamond lounge to be full of sparkly Diamonds and above and we would be the gems in need of a little polish. Instead, we were almost the only people there. We ended up going the rest of the cruise each evening, and we never saw more than half a dozen people. Most of the time the people who were there kept to themselves, so it wasn’t a great place to socialize. We did like the relaxing atmosphere and the hot and cold appetizer selections. The waiter was very nice and greeted us with our preferred wine every night after the first. No one ever checked our Sea Pass cards. We could have been on our first cruise and no one would have cared.

DSC00743-L.jpg

DSC00742-L.jpg

DSC00741-L.jpg

As mentioned previously soda, wine and beer were complimentary in the Diamond Lounge. Any mixed drinks were offered at a 25% discount. The three free drinks that have been mentioned on other reviews being loaded on your Sea Pass were not included on this cruise.

I had intended to post a scanned list of all diamond benefits at this point, but Steve left town without doing it for me, so it will have to wait a couple of days unless I can figure out the scanner.

I am surprised at the cost for mixed drinks. We were on Grandeur in April for 2 weeks. No cost for my DH and BIL's mixed drinks. And great review!

Edited by Lady Hudson

I am surprised at the cost for mixed drinks. We were on Grandeur in April for 2 weeks. No cost for my DH and BIL's mixed drinks. And great review!

Thank you for the nice complimet on the review. :)

I don't drink mixed drinks (I am a wine and foo-foo drink kind of girl), so I was oblivious to this on the cruise. I didn't realize it until I got home and was working on this review that it was pointed out to me about the charge. I checked the Diamond Letter and there it was in black and white. It kind of stinks, I think. Some cruises have 3 free drinks loaded on a card and others have only 25% off.

We are booked on the Jewel in Oct '15 for the Panama Canal cruise. While the Diamond Lounge was pretty empty on this cruise I wonder what they will do on that one? Just from our Roll Call alone I can tell there are going to be a lot of Diamonds and up on that cruise. It will be a completed different scenario.

I love these flamingos found between the glass elevators and the glass wall on Deck 13. Now this is one classy lady!

DSC00131-L.jpg

That is one classy lady for sure!! I collect flamingos so I must go on the Jewel one day! Love all your photos, they are all interesting and some are downright postcard worthy. We have a Southern Caribbean coming up next year on Adventure so your description of the excursions is of particular interest to us. Thanks for a great review!

That is one classy lady for sure!! I collect flamingos so I must go on the Jewel one day! Love all your photos, they are all interesting and some are downright postcard worthy. We have a Southern Caribbean coming up next year on Adventure so your description of the excursions is of particular interest to us. Thanks for a great review!

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of some help.[emoji39]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The beach was well guarded. Some more pictures of the beach:

DSC00513-L.jpg

LOVE this photo. What kind of camera do you use? I'm looking for a new one and yours takes great pictures (I'm sure it's mostly because of your skills but I'd still like to know the make and model)

Can you tell me where you went to make your chair reservations? This looks like a wonderful spot to spend the day.

Week One, Day Two – St. Kitts

Aaaah.....another beautiful morning in the Caribbean. Today we planned to meet the other Arizona Cruisers who wanted to spend the day at Carambola Beach Club in St. Kitts in the Schooner lounge at 8:45 AM, and we are not early risers. Even when we get up early we prefer to take our time in the morning. Therefore, our answer to early port days is breakfast on the balcony. We order our breakfast each port day by filling out the door knob hanging menu before we go to bed. We then order a wake up call for 15 minutes prior to our requested delivery time. That way Steve will be up and at least have his pants on before they come. Once the call comes to announce they are on the way the knock on the door is almost immediate. Let me also add the room service was always on time. In the half hour span that they give you to expect room service the call almost always came at the very beginning of the time frame. We also discovered on this cruise (and it took us 13 + cruises to figure this out) that the curtain by the bed unhooks and you can actually pull said curtain to shield the bed from prying eyes. Duh. So, if I wasn’t quite ready to be presented to the world I could hide behind my curtain while the room service person dropped off the tray. Steve would give his regular $2 tip and we would head out to the balcony to enjoy our breakfast in style. While I was fully covered at this point I was really hoping our balcony neighbor wouldn’t poke his or her head around the divider to say “hi”. As far as the supposed balcony cameras are concerned, I figured those who monitor the cameras have seen worse.

DSC09920-L.jpg

Can you tell me where you went to make your chair reservations? This looks like a wonderful spot to spend the day.

I contacted them using the e-mail link on the top of the Trip Advisor page, under the Carambola name. Other people have contacted them through their FB page, but I know not everyone uses FB. The trip Advisor link worked well for me.:)

I contacted them using the e-mail link on the top of the Trip Advisor page, under the Carambola name. Other people have contacted them through their FB page, but I know not everyone uses FB. The trip Advisor link worked well for me.:)

try http://www.carambolabeachclub.com

The best part is that you don't pay anything until you arrive, so if the weather is lousy or you change your mind, there is no real commitment. We had a nice day there even though the staff was not friendly at all.

Ginny,

Great review. We are on the Jewel in Sept and would like to do the Clay Villa tour. I was wondering how to contact them. Did you just leave your info under the contact page? I tried the email addresses but they wouldn't go through.

Thanks again for all the great information.

I do believe I used the contact form on the webpage under "Contact Us". After that Philip e-mailed me and we had a conversation going back and forth for quite awhile. I can't find my e-mails from him. I may have deleted it now, but if I do I will post the e-mail address for you.

• 4 weeks later...