The Arizona Cruisers Invade the Southern Caribbean B2B on the Jewel of the Seas!

So Ginny, on the first week would you say that it is better to have a room on the starboard or port side of the ship if you want to see the islands when you are passing by. Does it matter? I looked at the itinerary map and it looks like I want to be on the starboard side, so that is what I booked. I know on the Aruba route it didn't really matter, but sometimes it does. Given there is still 11 months before my sail date I think I have plenty of time to change! ha ha

Just a few questions...

How long did it take for the Turnaround meeting and do both my husband and I have to attend, or can one of us attend?

Which days of the week were the Formal Nights? Was lobster served?

Can we reserve the Specialty restaurants for both legs of the B2B the first week?

Hi Ginny, Great review. Thanks for sharing. But main question is.... what is the next cruise you AZ cruisers are planning? My DH and I might want to meet up with your group since AZ is our home. I have enjoyed all of your pre-cruise tips and sharing what info you have gathered. Great job!

ChaChing! aka Toni

Phoenix area

Just a few questions...

How long did it take for the Turnaround meeting and do both my husband and I have to attend, or can one of us attend?

Can we reserve the Specialty restaurants for both legs of the B2B the first week?

Hey Nana,

You can reserve specialty restaurants online prior to the cruise. They usually offer a package on the first day of the cruise where you get a discount if you go to both Chops & Portofino. Individually they are $30 & $20 respectively, however they were discounted to $40 for both on the first day.

Our formal nights were day three and day six. I believe they had lobster although I did not order it because it is normally not very good. Portofino had lobster on the menu every evening on a kebab with other seafood.

As mentioned previously soda, wine and beer were complimentary in the Diamond Lounge. Any mixed drinks were offered at a 25% discount. The three free drinks that have been mentioned on other reviews being loaded on your Sea Pass were not included on this cruise.

Interesting. When we were on in February the mixed drinks were complimentary.

So Ginny, on the first week would you say that it is better to have a room on the starboard or port side of the ship if you want to see the islands when you are passing by. Does it matter? I looked at the itinerary map and it looks like I want to be on the starboard side, so that is what I booked. I know on the Aruba route it didn't really matter, but sometimes it does. Given there is still 11 months before my sail date I think I have plenty of time to change! ha ha

I don't think it really matters. We had an aft cabin, so it was the same to us. Also, if you are in the main dining at 6PM you will be sailing away during dinner, so you may want to ask for a window.

Just a few questions...

Turnaround Meeting - It only took about half an hour. I don't think you both have to be there, but I would recommend that you are. There is a lot of information given quickly. They do give you printed instructions and we still had to refer to them to be sure we were doing the right thing at the right time.

Formal nights were 2 & 5 on week one (Barbados route). Lobster was served on night 6, not on formal night. On week 2 (Aruba route) formal nights were 2 & 6. Lobster was served on the second formal night (night 6)

I can't answer your question about the specialty restaurants. We reserved separately on each cruise. We never saw them full, and were almost empty when we dined at both, so it was never an issue.

Did I hear you say wine with dinner? I have rubbed off on you a bit. Now if I can jjst get you todrink something other then that sweet stuff. All in good time.:D

Sue

Beringer White Zinfadel. I'm going wild and crazy!

Hi Ginny' date=' Great review. Thanks for sharing. But main question is.... what is the next cruise you AZ cruisers are planning? My DH and I might want to meet up with your group since AZ is our home. I have enjoyed all of your pre-cruise tips and sharing what info you have gathered. Great job![/color']

ChaChing! aka Toni

Phoenix area

Click on the link in my signature and check out our forum! We are a large group as I explained earlier. There are different people cruising all the time. The best way to get involved is to post on our main chat thread (which is the sticky on the top of the forum) and introduce yourself. We have gotten to know each other through posting and also with parties that we have on a regular basis. Come join us! Then see who wants to cruise, when.:cool:

Hey Nana,

You can reserve specialty restaurants online prior to the cruise. They usually offer a package on the first day of the cruise where you get a discount if you go to both Chops & Portofino. Individually they are $30 & $20 respectively, however they were discounted to $40 for both on the first day.

Our formal nights were day three and day six. I believe they had lobster although I did not order it because it is normally not very good. Portofino had lobster on the menu every evening on a kebab with other seafood.

Thank you! That was a better answer than mine.:) Since we wanted to eat at one specialty restaurant each week we didn't get the discount special.

One correction, though. Formal nights were 2 & 6 on the Aruba route, not 3 & 6. We ate in Portofinos so the DH's didn't have to go formal. I just double checked the Compass to make sure. I did have the lobster in both Portofinos on night Two and in the Main Dining Room on Night Six and I like it both times.

Interesting. When we were on in February the mixed drinks were complimentary.

I wasn't sure since we don't drink mixed drinks. I just double checked the Diamond Perks list and it does say 25% off mixed drinks.

Week Two, Day Five - Aruba

We were up with the sunrise on our Aruba day, which is very unusual for us. Here is the only sunrise picture you will see from me on this cruise!

DSC00814-L.jpg

We had to meet with most of the Arizona Cruisers and a few others from our Roll Call right at 7:45 AM in the Schooner Lounge, our usual meeting place. Our ship was due to dock in Oranjestad, Aruba at 8AM and we were supposed to be at Moomba Beach at 8:30 AM for our Jolly Pirates Sail, Snorkel and Swing! excursion. We knew it would be a race to get there on time. We had originally booked Jolly pirates for the afternoon, but they had asked us to reschedule in the morning for the same price. The afternoon tour didn’t include lunch and was less expensive. We paid $34 pp for the afternoon tour. I just noticed that the prices have increased to $45 for the afternoon tour and $60 for the morning, so we did get a good deal. We told them we may run a few minutes late and they said to hurry, but it should be ok. Still, we didn't want to be late.

We wanted to all leave together to save on cab fares where we could. While waiting for everyone to arrive I took a few pictures of the Schooner Bar. It really does work out well for a meeting place and is a nice place to spend evenings as well.

DSC00815-L.jpg

DSC00817-L.jpg

The Safari Club is right past the Schooner Bar

DSC00813-L.jpg

The self-leveling pool tables

DSC00811-L.jpg

I poked my head into Portofinos and asked if I could take a picture of the continental breakfast offered to the suite guests

DSC00821-L.jpg

The Schooner Bar has a nice woody look and even has an aroma of burnt wood as you enter. It is very unique.

At 8 AM we docked and we all headed down to Deck 2 to disembark. We weren’t the only ones thinking that way and the hallways were clogged. They made us go back to Deck 3 and wait until the All Clear.

I was getting nervous about the time when we were not cleared until almost 8:30. I called Jolly Pirates and told them we were on our way and we piled into cabs for the 10 minute ride to the beach. The cabs only hold 5 people in Aruba, regardless of the size of the cab. The cost for all of us was $5 pp. Jolly Pirates told us they would wait until 8:50 for us, but we needed not have worried. When we arrived there was a long line of people from the hotels still checking in. We had booked Jolly Pirates on my recommendation from our visit to Aruba in 2009. At that time they had just one boat and it was filled mostly with people from our Roll Call. That was not the case this time. They were using two boats and filled with a large international group of people. I heard several languages spoken on our boat. It was likely 50% English, 30% Spanish and a little Portugese and French. Everyone got along fine, although communication was sometimes a game of charades.

Once we were checked in we were directed to the transfer tender that was to take us out to the Pirate Ship. We were on the second ship. The other one was already full. The tender was not difficult to board, although I did need a steadying hand. My painful knee made it a little more difficult then it should have been.

DSC00822-L.jpg

DSC00823-L.jpg

The thing that was obvious from the beginning on this trip was that this was a very windy day. On our last trip it was calm. The seas were very choppy. We put up sail and headed for the first snorkel stop.

DSC00834-L.jpg

DSC00837-L.jpg

DSC00835-L.jpg

DSC00828-L.jpg

The other Pirate Ship had already arrived at our first stop. It was explained to us that we were over a ship wreck of the WWII freighter the Antilla. Here the water was quite deep, but clear. However, the currents were stronger and only strong swimmers should enter this spot. In 2009 I snorkeled here without difficulty, but I decided against it this time. It was just too choppy for me. Most people who did go in only stayed in for a few minutes and came right out. Some said that the current was pulling them away from the ladder which made it difficult to get back in.

Speaking of ladders, we could see that the other ship across from us had a ladder that had good handrails. The ladder was also angled so it was as if you were walking forward up stairs, not straight up and down where you tended to lean backwards coming back up. Our ladder was the straight up and down type. That would cause me a problem later on.

The other ladder:

IMG_1864-L.jpg

Our ladder:

IMG_1890-L.jpg

We continued to the next snorkel stop where it was supposed to be much calmer and without the strong currents. I had remembered this as a good spot from before. We had three stops altogether and the last two were similar, close to shore and protected. However, when I tried to slowly descend the ladder I realized I would have difficulty coming back up, so I stopped and decided not to go in at all. Bev also tried and made the same decision based on the ladder. It went deep enough into the water, it was just too vertical. However, others went in and had a good time. Dave did bang up his shins getting back up, though. It was pleasant on the boat. It was a nice day for a sail.

Steve snorkeled and got a few more underwater pictures.

IMG_1873-L.jpg

IMG_1883-L.jpg

IMG_1885-L.jpg

IMG_1911-L.jpg

The rum punch was flowing freely and a few of the people on the boat enjoyed it immensely. Some too much. One of the young girls with her parents on the Roll Call went below to find a couple of the ladies who were from South America prancing around in their birthday suits. She got a little international education.

The final snorkel location was quite calm and people were also snorkeling from the shore.

DSC00856-L.jpg

We could see the California Lighthouse

DSC00853-L.jpg

After a while the crew called everyone back and it was time to swing!

Dave swinging:

DSC00872-L.jpg

Steve swinging:

DSC00868-L.jpg

This guy swings with style!

DSC00860-L.jpg

Beachluver9’s DD swinging with one of the crew:

DSC00876-L.jpg

Thank you! That was a better answer than mine.:) Since we wanted to eat at one specialty restaurant each week we didn't get the discount special.

One correction, though. Formal nights were 2 & 6 on the Aruba route, not 3 & 6. We ate in Portofinos so the DH's didn't have to go formal. I just double checked the Compass to make sure. I did have the lobster in both Portofinos on night Two and in the Main Dining Room on Night Six and I like it both times.

I wasn't sure since we don't drink mixed drinks. I just double checked the Diamond Perks list and it does say 25% off mixed drinks.

You are right Ginny. Formal nights were St. Kitts and Curacao which would make it day 2 and 6. Neither restaurant was busy when we were there, so on the next cruise I will wait and book when I get onboard to save my $10 (martini). We will definitely go to Portofino again, but we were disappointed in Chops. I don't like the MDR menu on the last night (lamb/turkey night) or the mushroom night so those are our specialty restaurant nights.

I also heard good reviews about the Mystery Dinner Theater. It was $50 pp I think and was held in Portofino at 6. Cocktails started in the Schooner prior. Dinner included plenty of wine which makes the cost more palatable if you are a wine drinker. I couldn't get my husband excited about the dinner theater so we passed. I understand that it does book early, so if you are interested it might be a good one to book online ahead of time.

Edited by beachluver9

Lunch served onboard was good. It was BBQ chicken & ribs, rice, plantain, potato salad & melon.

DSC00884-L.jpg

DSC00883-L.jpg

On the sail back to the beach we admired the coastline.

DSC00893-L.jpg

DSC00894-L.jpg

A windsurfer played with the boat

DSC00885-L.jpg

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Beachluver9’s DD swinging with one of the crew:

DSC00876-L.jpg

Ha ha, my future son-in-law!

LOL! I didn't want to say anything until the official announcement!:D:eek:

I didn't mention her name. I don't believe in posting the names of other people's kids online, but she is a cutie, and as sweet as can be.:)

Lunch served onboard was good. It was BBQ chicken & ribs, rice, plantain, potato salad & melon.

DSC00884-L.jpg

I'm jealous! The front of the boat was served last and we didn't get any melon, rice or chicken! All we got was a rib, potato salad and plantain. It was yummy, though

Edited by beachluver9

LOL! I didn't want to say anything until the official announcement!:D:eek:

I didn't mention her name. I don't believe in posting the names of other people's kids online, but she is a cutie, and as sweet as can be.:)

I'll pass along your kind words to Maren. If you ask her, 18 is not a kid! Ha Ha

I love all the people on the catamaran watching us play on the swing. Our boat was much more lively :D

I'll pass along your kind words to Maren. If you ask her, 18 is not a kid! Ha Ha

I love all the people on the catamaran watching us play on the swing. Our boat was much more lively :D

Yes, I enjoyed the swing watching. I wish I could have done it. I think it was the highlight of the trip.

We returned to Moomba Beach at 1PM. We had an hour to kill while we waited for our second tour of the day to pick us up at 2PM. This was a long port day for us. We were in port until 11 PM. So, we had arranged for Sonny Binns to pick us up and take us on a tour. We had plenty of time and did not feel like we had to rush to get back early or miss the ship.

We had a cool drink and some snacks at a beach bar right there at Moomba. The actual Moomba Bar was crowded with a tour that had just been dropped off there so we sat next door where we could watch for Sonny.

DSC00896-L.jpg

Some pictures of the beach:

DSC00897-L.jpg

DSC00898-L.jpg

Sonny was there right on time and we piled into his comfortable bus

DSC00899-L.jpg

Soon we were on our way, passing windswept shoreline along the way. I was beginning to get the idea that wind was the ongoing theme here.

DSC00903-L.jpg

DSC00905-L.jpg

The California Lighthouse was our first stop. It was good to see it from a different angle.

DSC00909-L.jpg

From there we had a great view of the hotels along the beach.

DSC00908-L.jpg

We continued on, passing many lovely homes,

DSC00911-L.jpg

And admired the abundance of Organ Pipe Cactus, which reminded us so much of home.

DSC00917-L.jpg

We arrived at the Alto Vista Chapel.

DSC00919-L.jpg

DSC00921-L.jpg

Sonny stopped at this little restaurant/bar for a rest stop, but he advised us that he would stop at a grocery store later for more affordable beer or soda that we would like. I don’t think many of us took him up on it, but we appreciated the offer. There was a restroom here. There was a charge if you didn’t buy anything. Many of us got an ice cream cone. It was just what we needed!

DSC00941-L.jpg

While at this stop Sonny took the more physically able up to the top of this rock for a viewpoint of the area. Once again, Steve went up with his camera.

DSC00943-L.jpg

IMG_1937-L.jpg

IMG_1940-L.jpg

IMG_1952-L.jpg

We headed down the road a ways and Sonny stopped to get us a cashew so we can see how it grows. Interesting.

DSC00947-L.jpg

We headed to the East Coast of Aruba where the relentless surf pounds the land, the salt spray making the land void of vegetation. The intesity of the sea hitting the rocks was staggering.

IMG_1954-L.jpg

DSC00977-L.jpg

We came to the area where the Natural Bridge once stood. It collapsed in 2005. As Sonny said, the bridge was given to Aruba by nature and taken away by nature. Nearby is the Baby Bridge, which is also impressive.

DSC00965-L.jpg

IMG_1953-L.jpg

IMG_1956-L.jpg

Sonny asked us not to walk on the bridge as it has a crack in it and he is afraid it may someday go, too.

We headed back past the airport with its international display of flags

DSC01011-L.jpg

By the time we got back to the ship we were tired as it had been a long day. We had changed our dinner time to 7:30 that night only so we could have some extra time to clean up after the tour. We were still able to keep our own table and waiter. Many people were eating in port that night. There were many empty tables in the dining room.

So, here is my final assessment of that day. I would do things a bit different if I were blessed enough to have a long day in Aruba again. I think I would break the day up more. I would go on a tour such as Sonny’s in the morning, or on one of the jeep or ATV tours we saw if I were younger (Sonny calls them the Shake & Bake tours, LOL). If I had toured Aruba in the past I may go to the beach, another snorkel excursion or even shopping if that were my thing in the morning. Then, I would return to the ship for lunch and a rest. In the evening I would sign up for a Sunset Sail as I hear they are wonderful. A Dinner Sunset Cruise would be even better. Aruba is famous for it’s sunsets.

The tour with Sonny was great. I highly recommend him. He is prompt, courteous and informative.

As far as Jolly Pirates goes, I was a bit disappointed this time. It wasn't the same intimate experience we had the last time we visited. It was a fun boat, but more for the younger crowd this time around. I can’t blame the fact that I didn’t snorkel on them. You can’t predict the wind and the weather, or the fact that my knee was being so darn uncooperative. It was an enjoyable time. I would just pick something different next time.

Week Two, Day Five - Aruba

I poked my head into Portofinos and asked if I could take a picture of the continental breakfast offered to the suite guests

DSC00821-L.jpg

Did they say yes or no? :p