Voyager of the Seas - Tendering

Terry from Ohio has just posted (here and the Ports of call forum) about the situation in Christchurch. In his post he has quoted RCL as saying that VOS does not visit Akaroa (the CC alternative) because it does not have "small boats" to take passengers ashore.

I find this extraordinary

I have checked the various itineraries for VOS in this part of the world, and yes...every port she visits, she is docked. Must severely limit places to visit...in NZ (Akaroa & Bay of Island) and the South Pacific, where chartered tenders are not readily available.

Anyone else come across this.

cheers

Terry from Ohio has just posted (here and the Ports of call forum) about the situation in Christchurch. In his post he has quoted RCL as saying that VOS does not visit Akaroa (the CC alternative) because it does not have "small boats" to take passengers ashore.

I have checked the various itineraries for VOS in this part of the world, and yes...every port she visits, she is docked. Must severely limit places to visit...in NZ (Akaroa & Bay of Island) and the South Pacific, where chartered tenders are not readily available.

cheers

We sailed on Mariner of the Seas to Mexico from LA and we tendered at Cabo San Lucas, but, the tenders were from the port and they even brought out the tender dock to the ship. I assume that Voyager is the same.

Edited by BrissyCruiser

cheers

Yep thats correct VOS does not tender! I think in US they may have used private tenders but now over this way nobody has enough to get that many passengers off?

Not sure if the newer Bigger RCI ships tender anywhere either?

There are plenty of lifeboats onboard though;)

I believe the lifeboats that are on board are too big to used as tenders.As said above they are due to be replaced with smaller ones that can use the tender jetty's in Au and NZ.

Santorini is another port where local tender boats come out to the ships and take passengers ashore . Its a good system . As soon as the ship arrives the boats are there waiting to ferry people ashore.

I believe the lifeboats that are on board are too big to used as tenders.As said above they are due to be replaced with smaller ones that can use the tender jetty's in Au and NZ.

Santorini is another port where local tender boats come out to the ships and take passengers ashore . Its a good system . As soon as the ship arrives the boats are there waiting to ferry people ashore.

In some ways that may be quicker in offloading the passengers.:D