Mediterranean Port Shuttles

I am just wondering if anyone who has recently taken a HAL Mediterranean cruise can shed some light on the shuttle situation (either at the port or from the port into town) in the following ports? We are wondering how many (if any) of the ports there are cruise shuttles offered and the cost. Does HAL offer shuttles? I have been reading that some lines do offer shuttles in certain places both on the docks and also from the port into town but am still a little unclear on how this works and the cost involved. Thanks for any advice or guidance.

Marsaille

Monte Carlo

Livorno (just at the port as we are likely renting a vehicle to go on our own that day)

Civitavecchia (just on the port - not into Rome as we have an external tour booked)

Naples (again just on the port again we have external tour booked)

Taormina

Corfu

Dubrovnik

Kotor

Venice

Marsaille

Monte Carlo- No need. Dock is right in town

Livorno (just at the port as we are likely renting a vehicle to go on our own that day)Car rental will be dockside. Other wise there is a provided shuttle into town

Civitavecchia (just on the port - not into Rome as we have an external tour booked) There are free shuttles to the entrance to the port

Naples (again just on the port again we have external tour booked) No need, dock is in town

Taormina No need, dock is in town

Corfu No

Dubrovnik Yes- fee a couple of euros

Kotor

Venice-No

Some reading on the ports boards would give a lot more detail on these ports. By the way, in Europe, 90% of the time the shuttle is provided by the city or port, not by HAL.

Edited by CruiserBruce

When we stopped in Corfu, there was a shuttle into town, but it was not free. I believe Taormina is a tender port, and the actual town is way up on a hill. Recommend you get a sopy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. He does not cover Sicily, though. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Marseilles - there is supposed to be a shuttle that takes you to Vieux Port. As well as cabs. I say supposed to be as I am reading mixed posts on it's availability in the ports boards.

If you could let us know what you find in Marseilles, it would be a huge help to others.

Your dock is a few kilometres from the vieux port - a special terminal built for larger ships so it is a bit of a trip into town. About 20 minutes as I understand it.

We don't get there until September and I am struggling to get info on this port as far as where the Prinsendam will dock, etc. as well.

When we stopped in Corfu, there was a shuttle into town, but it was not free. I believe Taormina is a tender port, and the actual town is way up on a hill. Recommend you get a sopy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. He does not cover Sicily, though. EM

Was it a couple of Euro per person?

Also one other question - does anyone know if the fees are a flat amount for both adults and kids? Or is it a different amount?

Also if there is a fee, is it both directions?

Again thanks

HAL provides the shuttle in Marseille, I think it was $15 charged to your account. That was good for as many RTs as you wanted. It was fine going into town but coming back in the evening there was a line about three to four bus loads long and the wait was about 45 minutes before we got on the bus.

Edited by JerseyJaguar

In Monte Carlo, one time we anchored, and there were tenders to take you to the dock, which is basically right in the lower town. The second time, we docked more or less at the same dock where the tenders had dropped us, so again right in the lower part of town. There is an elevator that will take you up to the upper part of the town (palace, Cousteau Museum, etc.,) if you can find it!

In Naples, I don't remember a shuttle at all; we used taxis.

In Civitavecchia, evidently there is a port shuttle, which just takes you from the ship to the gates of the port. I don't know if there is a fee.

Edited by Vict0riann

HAL provides the shuttle in Marseille, I think it was $15 charged to your account. That was good for as many RTs as you wanted. It was fine going into town but coming back in the evening there was a line about three to four bus loads long and the wait was about 45 minutes before we got on the bus.

Thank you- that is really good info and much appreciated. Helps me know if a taxi is a better deal or not (it is). Really, really appreciated.:D

Do you happen to know if that was pp or per cabin?

Do you happen to know if that was pp or per cabin?

As Kazu said, it's per person, all the shuttle prices are.

The other ports that had shuttles were Sardinia, which was free (and also a walkable distance) and Barcelona which was 3 Euro each RT (or 2 one way). Both of those were operated by the cities.

I just came back from this cruise on the NA and can report on our experience.

Marsaille $14 pp to the Vieux Port, booked to ship account

Monte Carlo No need

Livorno (just at the port as we are likely renting a vehicle to go on our own that day) 5E to the city centre, payable in cash only

Civitavecchia (just on the port - not into Rome as we have an external tour booked) Free to the port entrance. Our private tour guide picked us up right at the pier.

Naples (again just on the port again we have external tour booked) Your tour guide will pick you up where you dock.

Taormina Tender port, no shuttles offered.

Corfu Free in-port shuttle to port building where there are then many taxis and tours available, or $14 PP on your shipboard account to the city centre.

Dubrovnik Walk off the ship to the walled city and/or many taxis.

Kotor Tender port, walk off after tender to taxis/tours.

Venice Water taxi (vaporetto) operated by the city of Venice, believe it was around 11E per person for a single round trip from pier to city centre.

Thank you Katie333 and everyone else.

One last question. When there are the day $14 cruise charges pp, is that unlimited times in and out of town or each time? And it covers to and from the town right?

Thanks again for everyone's replies

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some reading on the ports boards would give a lot more detail on these ports. By the way, in Europe, 90% of the time the shuttle is provided by the city or port, not by HAL.

Do you tender or dock in Taormina?

From YouTube videos it looks like Taormina is on a hill - does HAL have a shuttle to town or do you have to take a bus or taxi?

Thanks

I did find out we tender-so,does HAL provide a shuttle from tender area to town? Is the tender area near the beach that is accessed by the funicular?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app