Breeze vs. Dream

tlsearay

I have been on the Breeze twice and love it! I am planning a cruise next year with a group and the Dream itinerary is a better match for most people. I am excited about the possibility of a different ship. Has anyone been on both the Breeze and Dream. Can you tell me if there are any big differences.

HI All!

I was on the Dream, my 1st Carnival ship April 2013 on the exotic Western itineray & really liked it. Then in Nov I went on the Breeze western followed by Allure eastern & liked Breeze so much I did it May 4/14 (for a great price).

I actually like Dream better decor wise but they're pretty much the same ship except Breeze has Guy's Burgers & the Thrill Theatre. I loved the cove balcony & also the 2 porthole cabins I had on Breeze. I don't do pools or bars so don't know how they stack up between ships.

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi Jo,

I was also on the Breeze on May 4th! Thanks for your input on the comparison. I just wanted to be prepared if there was big difference. I feel like I am really spoiled having gone on the Breeze twice.

Terrie

I think you might be disappointed in the Dream by comparison.

The Dream doesn't have the Red Frog Pub, Bonsai Sushi, Cucina del Capitano, Alchemy Bar, Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina...

To me the Dream is just a plain jane ship without many ammenities.....if ports are more important to you and your friends haven't cruised before then maybe what's happening on the ship won't be noticable to them.

I think you might be disappointed in the Dream by comparison.

The Dream doesn't have the Red Frog Pub, Bonsai Sushi, Cucina del Capitano, Alchemy Bar, Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina...

To me the Dream is just a plain jane ship without many ammenities.....if ports are more important to you and your friends haven't cruised before then maybe what's happening on the ship won't be noticable to them.

Alchemy bar not on either ship, but I will be missing the Red Frog Pub and Cucina del Capitano.

I have to say one of our favorite cruises was on the dream. We are going for the second time on the breeze in less than two weeks. The entertainment was better on the dream and we had a great time. My kids actually like the watermark on dream better too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dream has been my favorite ship by far. I sailed her twice, then went on the Breeze, and felt quite disappointed in the Breeze by comparison. I kept wondering finding out about all the stuff that was missing on the ship that the Dream has. I went back to the Dream for a 3rd time, and once again had an amazing time. My 3 times on Dream have been my best 3 cruises out of 14.

Entertainment is far far superior on the Dream. The Breeze's stage shows are quite poor, while the Dream's are the best in the entire Carnival fleet. Plus, the Dream has Black Jack Band playing in the Oceans Plaza, my favorite band that I've seen on any ship, and they are so friendly too. Breeze has the 4D theater, at an extra cost, which I did. I'm glad I did, since there was very little other true entertainment going on at night.

The Breeze's waterpark is only slightly better than the Dream's. They both have the Twister & Drainpipe. Dream's Drainpipe is better, Breeze's Twister is better. The tiebreaker goes to the Breeze's splash factory with dump bucket, that Dream doesn't have. Dream instead has the one-story racer slides, which are also fun and good for those that are too short for the big slides. But the kids get more out of the splash factory. Unfortunately for Dream, no ropes course. Dream has a bigger & better mini golf course, while Breeze removed 9 holes in order to put in some other games, so that's a wash.

Food is a tossup, although many people will say that Breeze is better. To me, Breeze sounds like it would be better, but Dream is better when put into action. Dream has lunch burritos, while Breeze has that plus other items & breakfast burritos; Dream has more omelet lines. Breeze has Guys burgers, but the hours are limited; Dream has standard burgers, which I find almost as good as Guys, plus they have longer hours, in addition to sometimes having chicken strips, nachos, sandwiches, etc, all late into the evening unlike Guys. Dream will have the full Mexican buffet on the night of one of the deck parties; Breeze will have only chips & dip (and pizza) for those people that are exhausted from all the dancing. Dream has the pasta bar for lunch; Breeze's pasta bar becomes an extra-pay Italian restaurant for dinner, which I haven't utilized. Dream has a far superior lanai BBQ for lunch on sea days, as the Breeze is limited in what they are allowed to serve, due to the branding of Guys & Blue Iguana cantina.

I prefer Dream's decor and setup. I feel that as the Breeze started branding everything, they lost their heart. It felt like one of those big budget movies with a story that goes nowhere. Dream, to me, has so much heart. The atmosphere & indescribable feel of the ship is what I really love. She has so much going for it, that I didn't notice or care about what she didn't have compared to Breeze. I never missed the ropes course or the Red Frog Pub. Everything else, I felt that Dream had a more than adequate (or even better) substitute.

Edited by k2excursion

K2 nailed it! I too, have done both ships, and while I had a great time aboard both ships, "Dream" is a better cruise, for me. As noted, entertainment aboard "Dream" is FAR superior to the shows, and bands offered aboard "Breeze". BlackJack Band is simply outstanding, and the NON 2.0 shows are so much better that there's simply no comparison. Bottom line is that you'll enjoy either ship, but if having a GREAT time aboard ship is important to you, do "Dream". ;)

"SKY"

I've been on both Dream and Breeze......I liked both, but Dream doesn't have the extra 2.0 places to eat. It was still a great ship and we enjoyed it. I personally like the decor better on the Breeze. Dream is fine, if its the ports of call you really want, then go for it. You'll be fine. Enjoy! :D

I prefer Dream over the Breeze. I thought it was because I sailed it 1st (prior to Breeze) and 1st time is always more exciting. But reading K2's comments I totally agree.

Dream seemed to be much calmer, more relaxing, and more fun at the same time. We had a blast on both ships, but Dream remains my favorite.

:) Jazz

HI All!

I was on the Dream, my 1st Carnival ship April 2013 on the exotic Western itineray & really liked it. Then in Nov I went on the Breeze western followed by Allure eastern & liked Breeze so much I did it May 4/14 (for a great price).

I actually like Dream better decor wise but they're pretty much the same ship except Breeze has Guy's Burgers & the Thrill Theatre. I loved the cove balcony & also the 2 porthole cabins I had on Breeze. I don't do pools or bars so don't know how they stack up between ships.

Jo,

I'm interested in what the cove balcony was like. We've had several balcony cabins, fore and aft, but none below deck seven. Thanks.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your extensive comparisons. I now feel very comfortable with the Dream. Just being on a cruise makes me happy, but I wanted to be prepared. Sounds like there are no worries.

Thank you for the comparisons and the question. We are thinking of cruising The Dream next year and was wondering if it compares to The Breeze. Thanks again!!!!

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Our group will be cruising in 32 days....YIKES!! We booked 2 weeks ago and usually book a year out. Trying to cram in a year's worth of planning in less than 2 months! We have been to the ports she will be stopping at....but we are still excited.

Some of us are nervous about her size. We like the Conquest class.....especially the Freedom! But she sails from the right port this trip and the right dates!!

I'll review the trip when we return. Can't wait.......I am addicted to cruising!

Edited by momof4boys

I'm sailing the dream in September so I'm interested in this thread. I'm nervous due to her size, but the port and itineraries work so we're going!

So of I'm reading right she still had the old shows? I had my first experience with the 2.0 shows in January and they were absolutely terrible. Horrible. So if I can see the old style shows one last time I'll be pleased.

I agree with K2 about the branding. I don't understand Carnival's fetish with it. Their idea of an upgrade/update is the same thing with a Name slapped on it. WTH. It's annoying to me. Very annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all!

cruiseman_tx ~ sorry to be so long in answering but I've been away.

I LOVED my cove balcony! I had 2349 on the Breeze & it was just a couple of cabins away from the elevators. I'm not much of a balcony person or sun worshipper but I did love this shady, private balcony & used it more than the other kind. My porthole cabin was also on deck 2 forward which was no problem.

It's nice being close to the water plus the balcony is larger & has a small ledge where you can put your drink or feet. The people from my roll call who saw the cove all loved it as did Gambee who shot some video from it.

• 9 months later...

Thank you for asking this question. I was about to ask a similar question. I have booked the Dream for Summer 2016. The only thing that I was disappointed was the lack of ropes course, and Guys Burgers. Then when I read about the 4D movies not being on the Dream, I was missing that too, until someone mentioned that is was an additional charge. I guess originally I thought of booking the Breeze out of Galveston and showed my son all the great things it had. We ended up deciding on the Dream. I guess I will "forget" to mention the lack of ropes course, Guy's Burgers, and 4-D Theatre :p Hopefully he will be having so much fun on other things he won't even notice.

(He will be 18 by then)

• 2 weeks later...

So glad I found this thread. My family and I are trying to decide on either ship for this Nov. We went on the Breeze 2 years ago and loved it. My kids loved Guy's burgers, the ropes course and the water park. I would love to go to on the Dream and see New Orleans. We have never been to Grand Caymen and I would love to visit that island.

Of course my kids want the Breeze--I have a feeling I will go with that because if they are happy and busy having fun then I will have fun. However I might be able to convince them and it is nice to know that others actually prefer the Dream. My biggest complaint about the Breeze was their nightly entertainment.

So glad I found this thread. My family and I are trying to decide on either ship for this Nov. We went on the Breeze 2 years ago and loved it. My kids loved Guy's burgers, the ropes course and the water park. I would love to go to on the Dream and see New Orleans. We have never been to Grand Caymen and I would love to visit that island.

Of course my kids want the Breeze--I have a feeling I will go with that because if they are happy and busy having fun then I will have fun. However I might be able to convince them and it is nice to know that others actually prefer the Dream. My biggest complaint about the Breeze was their nightly entertainment.

I guess I am one of the few that didn't care for the Dream. The entertainment and décor were great. Everything else was bleh. The Dream has the waterpark but not Guy's, and the ropes course. There is a 6 day itinerary on the Breeze that goes to Grand Cayman. You can always go to New Orleans on a land vacation.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

Although I have only been on the Dream so far (the Breeze is on my to-do list) I can say that we absolutely loved the Dream. I have a complete review of our time on her (from 2013) and it has TONS of pictures located in it if you are interested. It's located in my signature line. :)

We have sailed the Dream twice. We loved the ship and would again. No it doesn't have the named extras but it does have burgers on the Lido and lunch pasta. It also has really good Indian and Burrito station for lunch. The taste bar and lanai grill are good. I would sail on her again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums