Doing an Upgrade Happy Dance

The story of how one budget-stretcher inside cabin girl is finally going to get a balcony!

Our family of 4 has taken 4 inside cabin cruises on the Freedom and after finally saving up a lot of Visa points that we could apply, we decided to splurge and try out the Allure. Since the points promotion on the card required a minimum ocean view cabin, I booked two connecting Central Park Window view cabins last year for our first trip on the Allure for June. We travel with our two daughters and always do inside connecting cabins for privacy, safety, comfort and 2 bathrooms! I always dream about the balconies, but 2 connecting balconies have always just been too much for the family budget.

Thanks to a heads up on Cruise Critic I was able to apply my 125,000 RC Visa points that I had saved for a free cruise for 2 before the terms changed that now omit the Allure and Oasis class at this price. So this gave me a nice $2500 credit on one cabin.

Then, again thanks to tips on this board 6 months ago I was able to catch a price change that saved me another $350 per cabin (which made the VISA points cabin virtually free!!) I was very excited, but still pining for that balcony that was always just out of reach even with sales.

Fast forward to this week. Just out of curiosity I decided to check rates and lo and behold rates had dropped for balconies on my cruise....a lot...and there was a residency discount...and...and...and...there was unbelievably a set of connecting D1 balconies available!!!! Thinking it would be unlikely that I would be allowed to upgrade given the fact that final payment was made and one of the cabins was paid mostly with points that carry their own set of restrictions, I put them on 24 hour hold and called my TA. She was skeptical that I would be able to get it too, but said she would call for me and let me know. She called me back with good news! For a whopping $43 total for both cabins I was able to do the upgrade to the connecting D1s.

So to recap I am paying less than 3K for 4 people to cruise on the Allure in a D1 balcony in June!! I am not even going to tell the family...just surprise them! Thanks Royal and thanks Cruise Critic posters for always alerting others to price breaks and sharing your genius with us novices! So my advice would be to always make the call...you never know what might happen!

I had to read your post 3 times to understand all the deal making you did! Very savvy! :)

Enjoy the great vacation you made for your family. You've obviously worked hard for it and deserve to enjoy it!!

The story of how one budget-stretcher inside cabin girl is finally going to get a balcony!

Our family of 4 has taken 4 inside cabin cruises on the Freedom and after finally saving up a lot of Visa points that we could apply, we decided to splurge and try out the Allure. Since the points promotion on the card required a minimum ocean view cabin, I booked two connecting Central Park Window view cabins last year for our first trip on the Allure for June. We travel with our two daughters and always do inside connecting cabins for privacy, safety, comfort and 2 bathrooms! I always dream about the balconies, but 2 connecting balconies have always just been too much for the family budget.

Thanks to a heads up on Cruise Critic I was able to apply my 125,000 RC Visa points that I had saved for a free cruise for 2 before the terms changed that now omit the Allure and Oasis class at this price. So this gave me a nice $2500 credit on one cabin.

Then, again thanks to tips on this board 6 months ago I was able to catch a price change that saved me another $350 per cabin (which made the VISA points cabin virtually free!!) I was very excited, but still pining for that balcony that was always just out of reach even with sales.

Fast forward to this week. Just out of curiosity I decided to check rates and lo and behold rates had dropped for balconies on my cruise....a lot...and there was a residency discount...and...and...and...there was unbelievably a set of connecting D1 balconies available!!!! Thinking it would be unlikely that I would be allowed to upgrade given the fact that final payment was made and one of the cabins was paid mostly with points that carry their own set of restrictions, I put them on 24 hour hold and called my TA. She was skeptical that I would be able to get it too, but said she would call for me and let me know. She called me back with good news! For a whopping $43 total for both cabins I was able to do the upgrade to the connecting D1s.

So to recap I am paying less than 3K for 4 people to cruise on the Allure in a D1 balcony in June!! I am not even going to tell the family...just surprise them! Thanks Royal and thanks Cruise Critic posters for always alerting others to price breaks and sharing your genius with us novices! So my advice would be to always make the call...you never know what might happen!

You can negotiate on my behalf ANY day!

Bon Voyage!

:)