Live from Oceania Regatta – post refurbishment!

One of the things that I love best about Cruise Critic is meeting new friends. My husband Teijo and I had a fantastic dinner last night with Pacheco18 and her husband -- and felt very pampered, as we dined on Toscana's fabulous lasagna and were served by their Vista Suite butler (Dmitri was terrific). Our conversation was as stimulating as the atmosphere was gorgeous.

Carolyn

1917984028_Suitedining.jpg.a01ae7c879b51018df8960d764e20cfe.jpg

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

One of the things that I love best about Cruise Critic is meeting new friends. My husband Teijo and I had a fantastic dinner last night with Pacheco18 and her husband -- and felt very pampered, as we dined on (thanks LHT28) Toscana's fabulous lasagna and were served by their Vista Suite butler (Dmitri was terrific). Our conversation was as stimulating as the atmosphere was gorgeous.

Carolyn

Carolyn skillfully avoided being in the photo!!!

I could not agree more. We had a lovely evening. And I want to extend my deepest gratitude to Carolyn and Teijo for helping us finish off some the wine that came with this suite. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We've talked a lot, this week, about how beautiful the refurbishment has made Oceania's Regatta. But it's worth noting that the ship looks gorgeous on the outside, too (frankly, much better than other ships of similar age that we've seen in port here in Alaska).

Carolyn

Regatta.jpg.f8541bff3eeddc771ded377bd18ce051.jpg

It's day three and we've had a sea day in between boarding in Vancouver

and our port call at Sitka today, so there's time to get the lay of the

land on the newly refurbished Oceania Regatta. So far, here are our

favorite things:

1. There's no nickel and diming. On Oceania Regatta (as on all Oceania

ships), you can dine at the fabulous Toscana and the Polo Grill

steakhouse for no extra charge (though to be honest, the menu at The

Grand Dining Room, with its Canyon Ranch, Red Ginger and Jacques

selections available in addition to everything else is pretty

phenomenal).

Carolyn

We will be sailing on the Regatta for the first time in October 2014.

Just wish to confirm your comment that since the ship does not have Red Ginger or Jacques that Oceania offers dishes in the MDR that would normally be served on the Riviera or Marina.

Love the picture of Regatta's bow, Carolyn ... :) ... makes me want to count the days, but I don't want to hurry my life along too much.

I can easily live without Red Ginger forever (not a fan) but I do love Jacques. Still, I've never had a bad meal on Oceania and doubt I ever will.

Just wish to confirm your comment that since the ship does not have Red Ginger or Jacques that Oceania offers dishes in the MDR that would normally be served on the Riviera or Marina.

Yes, they serve them in the MDR.

Thanks so much for your nice words, HeatherInFlorida, and trust me when I say Alaska is a long flight from anywhere, even from our home base in NY. Still. I was completely overwhelmed by the beauty of Alaska. Maybe not so much in the towns that are the key ports (save for Sitka and Icy Strait) but the minute you get outside the boundaries...it's magic.

Carolyn

I am in love reading your updates and you make me ache to cruise Alaska. We have never done it although we've not met anyone who hasn't said we must before we kick the bucket. Just such a long flight from FL and we're getting no younger. But your description of the majesty before your eyes makes me think twice.

I'm shocked about the bar service and clean-up! It just doesn't sound like the Oceania I've come to know ... disappointing. Hope it improves!

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

You know what surprised me, HeatherInFlorida? There was a lot of emphasis from Cruise Critic's Oceania veterans on dining at Toscana and Polo Grill, the ship's two alternative restaurants. But I have to say I absolutely adored the Grand, great menu, delicious food, no structure -- you could show up anytime between 6:30 - 9 p.m. I adored the Grand for breakfast and lunch, too....

Carolyn

Love the picture of Regatta's bow, Carolyn ... :) ... makes me want to count the days, but I don't want to hurry my life along too much.

I can easily live without Red Ginger forever (not a fan) but I do love Jacques. Still, I've never had a bad meal on Oceania and doubt I ever will.

Laughing, Laraine, anything we can do to help!

Carolyn

Carolyn skillfully avoided being in the photo!!!

I could not agree more. We had a lovely evening. And I want to extend my deepest gratitude to Carolyn and Teijo for helping us finish off some the wine that came with this suite. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Both are, fortunately, represented! Attaching a photo of one night's menu.

Carolyn

menu.jpg.74caffa4a9c10190348f20806f54fa9e.jpg

You know what surprised me, HeatherInFlorida? There was a lot of emphasis from Cruise Critic's Oceania veterans on dining at Toscana and Polo Grill, the ship's two alternative restaurants. But I have to say I absolutely adored the Grand, great menu, delicious food, no structure -- you could show up anytime between 6:30 - 9 p.m. I adored the Grand for breakfast and lunch, too....

Carolyn

+1 Carolyn, we've had some wonderful times , and meals, in the Grand Dining Room.

- Please send Teijo our very best, he was so great to us on the Riviera, and his being a fellow ship-fan, made for some very interesting conversations. :D

There aren't very many of us left-

Thanks for the review, Carolyn. I'm looking forward to boarding the Insignia in Sept - Monte Carlo/S'hampton, having sailed Regatta several years ago on an almost identical itinerary.

Can you tell me if the dishes from Jacques and Red Ginger change each night in the Grand? I LOVED the miso glazed sea bass on Regatta, but my sister wasn't too pleased with the lobster dish!

Thanks for the review' date=' Carolyn. I'm looking forward to boarding the Insignia in Sept - Monte Carlo/S'hampton, having sailed Regatta several years ago on an almost identical itinerary.

Can you tell me if the dishes from Jacques and Red Ginger change each night in the Grand? I LOVED the miso glazed sea bass on Regatta, but my sister wasn't too pleased with the lobster dish![/quote']

There are two different selections each night

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the review' date=' Carolyn. I'm looking forward to boarding the Insignia in Sept - Monte Carlo/S'hampton, having sailed Regatta several years ago on an almost identical itinerary.

Can you tell me if the dishes from Jacques and Red Ginger change each night in the Grand? I LOVED the miso glazed sea bass on Regatta, but my sister wasn't too pleased with the lobster dish![/quote']

I had the Sea Bass from Red Ginger the other evening. Melted in my mouth. Did not disappoint.

I had the Sea Bass from Red Ginger the other evening. Melted in my mouth. Did not disappoint.

We found the sea bass to be overly sweet and certainly not great.

Many other fish dishes on Regatta far exceeded it in taste unless you like your fish sweet.

We found the sea bass to be overly sweet and certainly not great.

Many other fish dishes on Regatta far exceeded it in taste unless you like your fish sweet.

Thank You for your opinion but the sea bass I had was not sweet. George's Gal asked if it was featured. Food is subjective. What you like I probably wouldn't order. The one thing I have learned on these Boards is there are 50 opinions to one question. Some would be unhappy if they were hung with a new rope.

This is so odd, because my memory is that Orchestrapal and I originally bonded over Sea Bass, or at least the amazing version of it that they still prepare at Buddakan in Philly, which is right in Orchestrapals's back yard.

b_114520.jpg

When Oceania introduced their Miso glazed version in Red Ginger in 2010, I recall thinking that the version on the ship was a distinct improvement. Cleaner, more distinct flavors and simple in the best way.

b_121126.jpg Of course, there is brown sugar in the glaze, so perhaps one night the chef just had a heavy hand, - that can happen in the best regulated restaurants-

Jim, you have a good memory.

What we had on Regatta was nothing like the one at Buddakan . You are

right it probably had twice or three times the amount of brown sugar as when we had it previously. On O. I guess we'll just have to try it again.