I Guess that Ships do Wait

If I am thinking of the same show , it was some type of VIP that was the one that way late.

I think you are right or it was one of the NCL excursion rented private vehicles that cost an arm and a leg. I haven't been to this port but see them on the list of excursions pretty much everywhere we've sailed with NCL.

Have also had the ship wait several times while our NCL excursion was late; HAL as well.

If I am thinking of the same show , it was some type of VIP that was the one that way late.

I saw the show & i thought it was the Epic ? But maybe not I do for sure remember the VIP was a millionaire.

Back in the days of the NCL Majesty, my husband went shopping on the last day. He knew what time he had to be back on board so i wasnt too worried, then guest services or someone called and said he hadnt returned, I knew he had to be on the ship somewhere, then they started paging him, which made my daughter hysterical, thinking we were about to leave him in St George...I called guest services and said check his room key again, I bet he is on the top deck waiting for sailaway having a drink....Low and behold, he had just purchased a drink and they tracked him down that way.

Great story!

I saw the two women shoppers get to the ship today (dressed very chic, too) three minutes late. Officers greeting them at the gang plank.

Geez, people! Don't wait until the last day to do your last minute shopping!!!

I plan on staying and exploring the dockyard our last day in Bermuda. Never letting Breakaway out of my sight.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

A couple of years ago my mother was waiting on my cousin (he said he would be right back was going to get booze, we were in the Bahamas) it was getting late so she gave up waiting and was going back to the ship & she's running & running and actually boarded the wrong ship, she's swiping her card over & over and finally they go to help her by swiping her card & they realize she boarded a CCL ship & not an NCL ship, they did give her a ride to the gangway of the Jewel and lo & behold my cousin is sitting right there waiting for her, she wanted to kill him, She does not wait on him or anyone else anymore.

Edited by iimmie

I was wondering why the Breakaway was a few minutes late in leaving, when a taxi full of shoppers pulled up at the pier. If this wasn't a ship trip, did the last-minute-Louies call to inform the ship that they'll be right along?

Shopping can make folks lose track of time, or was there another reason.

The group boarded to the cheers of fellow passengers.

Just recently on Norwegian Star from LA to Miami via the Panama Canal we experienced something similar, this time at Huatulco. It was obvious that passengers were missing as the time for being back on board passed, the welcome tent was put on board and security and officers on the gangway looking anxiously towards the port gate at the end of the pier. Well a couple ambled back along the pier not a care in the world, loaded with shopping, oblivious to the impending departure and the large number of people on deck urging them along. They boarded and still we waited. About 10 minutes after the official departure time the ship slowly pulled away from the pier and moved very slowly into open water. At that point cries were heard from the pier and two people seen running along it shouting and screaming for the ship to stop. Although the ship hadn't cleared the length of the pier it was now in open water and moving slowly along it.

What happened next I've never seen before.

There was a local fishing boat or tourist boat moored on the other side of the pier and its skipper gestured to the two passengers, a man and woman, to jump aboard, which they did. By now Star had cleared the pier and at very slow speed moving down the channel towards open sea. The fishing boat pulled away from the pier and started to pursue Star until it was alongside the port side midships.

The two passengers were shouting at crew manning open hatches /doors pleading for them to be able to board.

Well this was pure entertainment for numerous passengers on the Promenade deck many of whom were cheering, others jeering.

Well even though Star was a good couple of hundred metres out into the channel it was moving very slowly and one at a time the two late passengers were lifted/dragged aboard. Talk about drama if not a safety issue.?

So what happened next. Well not a lot was heard or said, rumour has it they were crew. !!

John

I was on that cruise, there were runners even before the last ones arrived by taxi, and a catamaran excursion pulled up close to departure time with a boat full, I assume that was a ship sponsored excursion, as those folks were not rushing. Someone asked the Captain about it at the Q & A and he replied they typically do not wait one minute, but the incident (with the taxi and passengers) was a special circumstance that he could not elaborate on. :)

I too stayed close to the ship the last day! I was back on by 3:30 to be safe!

debbie

A couple of years ago my mother was waiting on my cousin (he said he would be right back was going to get booze, we were in the Bahamas) it was getting late so she gave up waiting and was going back to the ship & she's running & running and actually boarded the wrong ship, she's swiping her card over & over and finally they go to help her by swiping her card & they realize she boarded a CCL ship & not an NCL ship, they did give her a ride to the gangway of the Jewel and lo & behold my cousin is sitting right there waiting for her, she wanted to kill him, She does not wait on him or anyone else anymore.

Wow!!!!! What an interesting turn of events.