Questions About Vegetarians on HAL

ellieanne

My husband is a vegetarian. If we indicate that on our reservation, what will happen? Will he get a special menu in the main dining room? Will it make a difference to dining in the Pinnacle Grill or other speciality restaurant?

If it does, will he have to order ONLY from the special menu or can he pick & choose from that and the regular main dining room menu?

I know there are vegetarian dishes on the menu daily, but I just do not know what happens if we indicate he's a vegetarian on the reservation.

Thanks for any help/advice!

I have no idea what will happen if you indicate he's a vegetarian on the reservation. I do know they have a special vegetarian menu (that you need to ask for) and that it's available for everybody. Since non-vegetarians can pick and choose from both menu's, I'm guessing vegetarians can too!

cruise_bunnies

Edited by cruise_bunnies

You can call Ship Services and ask for them to send you an updated list of the vegetarian menu.

You will be given the menu the night before and you can also ask to see the next evening's regular menu. That way he can decide what he wants to eat. From the vegetarian menu, you need to place that order the evening before.

This a copy of an old vegetarian menu that I have:

VEGETARIAN MENU (Thanks to Lisa 63)

Select one option from each section to be served the following evening.

Appetizers

Lemon and Spinach Ricotta Dip

Vegetarian Mezza Plate (vegan) - Baba Ghanousch, hummus, tabbouleh

Vegetable Terrine - broccoli, carrot, zucchini, tarragon sour cream

Strawberry and Bucatini Bruschetta

Vegetarian Sushi Roll (vegan) - avocado, cucumber, red pimento

Portabello Mushroom and Chipotle Quesadilla

Vietnamese Vegetable Spring Roll (vegan)

Curried Vegetable Empanadas

Soups

Asian Noodle Soup (vegan)

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (vegan)

Pasta Fagioli (vegan)

Salads

Tossed Fresh Garden Greens (vegan)

Spicy Lentil and Garbanzo Salad (vegan)

Entrees

Baked Cheese Polenta with Mushrooms Artichoke Hearts

Asparagus, Carrot and Zucchini Tart

Baked Vegetable Lasagna

Vegetable and Bean Chili - with sour cream

Pad Thai Noodles (vegan)

Vegetable Jambalaya (vegan)

Spinach Palak Curry

Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura (vegan)

Grilled Vegetable and Tofo Kabob (vegan)

Thank you for posting the menu, Krazy Kruizers.

To the OP - I found the menus more extensive than I had anticipated. My main disappointment was having to order the night before. (In addition to not knowing what I'd be in the mood for, I am pescetarian, so a fish course on the following night's regular menu might have appealed to me.)

What I ended up doing was to ask to see both the vegetarian and regular menus for the following night. I still had to deal with advance ordering, but at least I could see if something on the regular menu might be to my liking before placing an order from the vegetarian menu.

By the way, we had as you wish dining (or whatever the open seating dining is called) and it worked well even though we did not have the same table every evening.

Oh... I don't remember if I indicated vegetarian on the reservation. Chances are that I did not, as I'm not fully vegetarian. I did not make the vegetarian notation for my current reservation.

Edited by Lisa63

Thanks everyone. I talked to him and we'll go ahead and list him as a vegetarian on the reservation. He's happy with the options. He was a bit worried about making meals hard for the rest of us.

We usually eat in the Lido for breakfast/lunch, and it may be harder for him there, but I am sure there are options (other than just the salad bar) available.

Thanks again for the help.

You can call Ship Services and ask for them to send you an updated list of the vegetarian menu.

You will be given the menu the night before and you can also ask to see the next evening's regular menu. That way he can decide what he wants to eat. From the vegetarian menu, you need to place that order the evening before.

Could someone tell me if there are vegetarian selections on the regular menu?

Could someone tell me if there are vegetarian selections on the regular menu?

Yes. There are vegetarian options on each day's menu. These are in addition to the everyday vegetarian choices.

I believe the policy has changed, and pre-ordering vegetarian dishes is no longer required. Anything from the regular menu (which includes vegetarian items) and the vegetarian menu may be ordered during dinner.

I believe the policy has changed, and pre-ordering vegetarian dishes is no longer required. Anything from the regular menu (which includes vegetarian items) and the vegetarian menu may be ordered during dinner.

This sounds great! I suppose you still have to call ship services to have a vegetarian menu delivered to you. And would I have to do that every day?

My wife and I are both vegetarian and are used to the "usual" policy of ordering the night before after viewing both the next day's menu and the vegetarian menu. No one told us of a change on either our Westerdam cruise in late April or our Zaandam cruise in May. Same night ordering would make life a little easier. We tended to stick to the veg. options available on the main menu, since we had the open seating option. One thing that I do remember was that there was NOT a vegetarian first course available at the Mariners Lunch toward the end of our Zaandam cruise. A little awkward as we just sat there while everyone else enjoyed soups or salads. HAL is normally very accommodating to our needs.