Is there alot to do in Charlottetown?

Hi,

We are doing a cruise on the Summit in September. The one port is Charlottetown, PEI. There are, obviously, many excursions dealing with Anne of Green Gables. Several years ago we vacationed on PEI for a few weeks and so explored most of the island by car - including the Anne of Green Gables experiences that are available. So I was wondering, instead of booking an excursion, might it be a good idea to just walk around in town? We had in Charlottetown also, but perhaps this might be the best option rather than an excursion.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Keith

Edited by three4rd

Since you have explored the island, you could spend the day in Charlottetown. It is pleasant to walk around for sure. Perhaps ask your question on Trip Advisor to get some ideas of how to plan your day.

http://www.discovercharlottetown.ca/

http://www.tourismpei.com/charlottetown-pei/charlottetown

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g155023-Activities-Charlottetown_Prince_Edward_Island.html

You might also check your library for a guidebook. I just finished reading "Frommer's Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island" and it had a nice section on what to see and do in Charlottetown.

I love Charlottetown and it is a great place to spend the day. There is a nice museum about the history of PEI that is not too far from where you will dock. Charlottetown is very walkable so you can certainly spend an enjoyable day here just exploring. I would also walk to the Confederation Center where there are plays and other activities. There are plenty of shops and nice restaurants. I would also suggest a walk on the waterfront and a visit to Beaconsfield (an historic house). You might have to take a short taxi ride to the waterfront and Beaconsfield. Enjoy!

Consider the Anne of Green Gables play - performed in a first class theatre downtown. This is not a "children's play." My DH had indicated some reluctance in attending, but he loved it and so did all of our friends. We attended an afternoon performance and the audience was almost all adults. Lots of smiles and enthusiasm!

Foodwise - PEI is known for its mussels. We attended a feast at a local hall where church ladies served us island favorites. The seafood was wonderful.

Foodwise - PEI is known for its mussels. We attended a feast at a local hall where church ladies served us island favorites. The seafood was wonderful.

Also its potatoes. If you have the chance, test out the local potatoes. There is definitely something different about local PEI potatoes. I love them as fries, but they are also good as scalloped potatoes.

There is lots to do in downtown Charlottetown, it's a very walkable city! There are lots of quaint shops and restaurants and a visit to Cows ice cream is a must! This year Charlottetown celebrates it's 150th birthday so there are lots of activities pertaining to that. The Confederation Center:) Art Gallery is free to visit and there are free guided tours of Province House. It really is a great city although I am a bit biased as I live here!

I am a long time summer resident and truly love PEI. I would also chime in about how tasty the potatoes are. Also the lobsters, mussels,turnip, blueberries and Cow's ice cream are not to be missed. Charlottetown is a lovely small city with wonderfully friendly people. Enjoy!

You might also check your library for a guidebook. I just finished reading "Frommer's Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island" and it had a nice section on what to see and do in Charlottetown.

Since I just got the new Frommer Montreal/Quebec guide last week (at the Book Expo event) where Mr. Frommer signed my copy, I contacted his daughter - Pauline (who runs the company) - today about the NS NB and PEI book. She said it is out of print and was published by their previous publisher. I'm sure basic info right but it's not current.

Thought I'd share

Steve

Since I just got the new Frommer Montreal/Quebec guide last week (at the Book Expo event) where Mr. Frommer signed my copy, I contacted his daughter - Pauline (who runs the company) - today about the NS NB and PEI book. She said it is out of print and was published by their previous publisher. I'm sure basic info right but it's not current.

Thought I'd share

Steve

Lonely Planet just came out w/ new edition of their NS/NB/PEI book.

• 2 weeks later...
There is lots to do in downtown Charlottetown, it's a very walkable city! There are lots of quaint shops and restaurants and a visit to Cows ice cream is a must! This year Charlottetown celebrates it's 150th birthday so there are lots of activities pertaining to that. The Confederation Center:) Art Gallery is free to visit and there are free guided tours of Province House. It really is a great city although I am a bit biased as I live here!

lol.. me too.. read your post.. I live in Summerside, PEI :)

lol.. me too.. read your post.. I live in Summerside, PEI :)

We booked a 4 hour private tour to see the area outside of Charlottetown which will leave us time to see the town as well. When I read the tourist info I got from the Visitors Bureau (nicely done) it looks like most of the the 150 Year celebration events will be over by September which the two Celebrity Cruise ships come in. And we are in on a Friday but I hope they plan some that day. There is a "captive" audience of nearly 3,000 people getting off the ship! :D

Steve

I think you could easily fill a full day in Charlottetown just absorbing the sights and unique shops downtown. Find a great lunch time venue for some fresh seafood. The earlier suggestion to use Trip Advisor is a good one.

Jim from NS

Also its potatoes. If you have the chance, test out the local potatoes. There is definitely something different about local PEI potatoes. I love them as fries, but they are also good as scalloped potatoes.

Totally agree. PEI has the best french fries in the universe. Can't beat a lunch of mussels, fries and beer. I am drooling on my keyboard right now.

DON

Hi,

We are doing a cruise on the Summit in September. The one port is Charlottetown, PEI. There are, obviously, many excursions dealing with Anne of Green Gables. Several years ago we vacationed on PEI for a few weeks and so explored most of the island by car - including the Anne of Green Gables experiences that are available. So I was wondering, instead of booking an excursion, might it be a good idea to just walk around in town? We had in Charlottetown also, but perhaps this might be the best option rather than an excursion.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Keith

It was my second time this year visiting Charlottetown from a cruise ship. On my second stop, the weather was cooperating so I took a good walk around town. I really enjoyed it . Charlottetown is a quaint city.

I visited Province House. I found the movie they show there about the foundation of Canada very interesting.

For inspiration, here is a port guide written by Tom Sheridan, a fellow cruiser. It is free and has no publicity. It contains a walking tour. Enjoy:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/Charlottetown-06-15-2011.pdf

Am I the only one who cannot get the tomsportguides site to load? I've seen the links from several forums, and none seem to work for me.

Anyway, thank you all for the great tips for Charlottetown. Can't wait to see it next week!

Am I the only one who cannot get the tomsportguides site to load? I've seen the links from several forums, and none seem to work for me.

Anyway, thank you all for the great tips for Charlottetown. Can't wait to see it next week!

Works fine for me. I also HIGHLY recommend reading the Preisman's AMAZING text and Photo Blog on their NE/Canada cruise in October 2013 with details on Ports and honest opinions. (I used that to help guide our plans on same ship this September). I don't know how they find time to put it together but check it out at: http://thepreismans.com/canada_newe.htm

Steve

Works fine for me. I also HIGHLY recommend reading the Preisman's AMAZING text and Photo Blog on their NE/Canada cruise in October 2013 with details on Ports and honest opinions. (I used that to help guide our plans on same ship this September). I don't know how they find time to put it together but check it out at: http://thepreismans.com/canada_newe.htm

Steve

Thanks for posting the Preismans link. Their photo blog is really great. Another new link to put in my favorites.:)

Don't feel bad, I couldn't either.