Large group on our cruise.

Hello. Were traveling on the Quantum of the Seas April 24, 2015 and understand there will be a large group on that trip from University at Sea. Anyone have any experience sailing with large groups? How large of a group would you be comfortable sailing with? Also. Any on how we could find out the size of the group? Our TA asked Royal but they couldn't tell him...

First, it's not really up to any cruise line to disclose the makeup of groups....it's not really anyones' business - they can sell cabins on their ships however they want

Second, this appears to be continuing medical education...figure some venues might close temporarily for classes, but the people I know who have done these things have lots of free time, and they did NOT have a lot of organized activities closing things down...

I would guess that they'd have class in either a conference room or lounge, depending on the size of the group...it appears to be a seminar for Women's Health....

A simple google search turned up this info...you'll be in good hands if anyone gets sick, there will be lots of medical professionals aboard.

I wouldn't worry about it....honestly, if it's going to be a group of 'swingers' or the like,they'll charter the ship..

University at Sea has so many cruises set up..I've probably been on one.....

I wish people would find something else to fret about.....

Edited by megr1125

I would not expect University at sea to affect your cruise in any way... normally not that big a group. They will take up a conference room on sea days where they will have lectures..

It is nice being able to get a few CE hours and write off part of the cruise as a business expense.

Rick

Back in the '90's, our Rotary Club District held its annual conference on board the Carnival Sensation. It was a hoot sailing with a group of 200. They sat us close together in the MDR and we used one of the lounges for a couple of hours each day. I don't think that us being there affected the other PAX one way or the other. But we got the chance to tell the Rotary story & mission at breakfast & dinner times.

Our family cruise of between 8-10 family members turned into 28 rowdy, obnoxious family members a few years ago. You'll be in better company than I was during that cruise. I was constantly apologizing to strangers. 28 people taking over areas of the pool, bars and just about anywhere they went on the ship was bad.

[quote=megr1125;42952080

I would want to know if there was a big group on my sailing as I have heard

they can have different venues at there disposal that someone like I might not be able to use since it is reserved for them.

So it might not matter to you but it would to me.

I would only worry about Quincera tour groups (not family groups where they travel with their own families, that's like what you'd find on any cruise, but the groups where 300-500 girls travel with a half dozen male chaperones)

Adults- such as doctors or jewelry store owners, or farm equipment salesmen, (we've had all these at one time or another) traveling with their own immediate families, will go their own ways and appear like any other family when not at group activities. Some venues will be shut down for private parties- but that's less problematic on a large ship like Q which has plenty of venues and flex space for these purposes. The problem with the group of kids is they MUST exit and enter the ship in their large group, and they have a tendency to want to stick together like glue, they buzz saw through buffets, all want to be at the pool (or anywhere else)at exactly the same time all together...RUN, if it's a group of kids, otherwise, you probably won't even notice the group on board! :D

A group like that will NOT be a problem! If you were sailing with a group of strippers or pimps or whatever...that might be a problem. I can guarantee that a larger "legit" group will not even know the other group members....it's a total non-issue.

We did oasis last October and there was a huge group of Mexican people from some company based in mexico. Around 3000 ppl... And let me tell you it did negatively effect the atmosphere when no one spoke English and no one participated in any ocean day activities. Hard to meet new people with such a language barrier. To top it off, most of this group was non cruisers who lacked any sort of etiquette. If I would have known about this group I would have picked a different week. They had an entire floor if the dinning room booker as their own.

If I never see a purple omni life shirt ever again in my life that will be quite alright

Not saying all groups are equal but the op has a valid concern to raise the question

Hello. Were traveling on the Quantum of the Seas April 24, 2015 and understand there will be a large group on that trip from University at Sea. Anyone have any experience sailing with large groups? How large of a group would you be comfortable sailing with? Also. Any on how we could find out the size of the group? Our TA asked Royal but they couldn't tell him...

I would feel very safe with this group

April 24, 2015

Women's Health

14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™

14 Contact Hours

8-Night Bahamas Cruise Conference

from Cape Liberty, New Jersey

Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas

doctors, nurses, attorneys, PAs, pharmacists

Just call up University at Sea

Hello. Were traveling on the Quantum of the Seas April 24, 2015 and understand there will be a large group on that trip from University at Sea.

How did you know/suspect there was a group to begin with?

There was a large group on our cruise in 2012, I'm not sure who they were but they were mostly Asian. I'd say there was 500 at least, most of the time they were down near the conference centers and we only ran into the bulk of them at dinner.

It was actually quite nice.. There were less people roaming around and that made it a bit more comfortable... I think you'll be fine!

A relative of mine is a medical professional and she attended a CME seminar with this group...they had fun, the meetings were in a conference room, they didn't over run the ship and apparently were so entertaining that others wanted to hang with them...

We just discussed this at dinner...she said they had a couple short cocktail parties...but really nothing else, they sort of all bonded but there was limited privatization of venues...this was a few years back on Jewel

First, it's not really up to any cruise line to disclose the makeup of groups....it's not really anyones' business - they can sell cabins on their ships however they want

Second, this appears to be continuing medical education...figure some venues might close temporarily for classes, but the people I know who have done these things have lots of free time, and they did NOT have a lot of organized activities closing things down...

I would guess that they'd have class in either a conference room or lounge, depending on the size of the group...it appears to be a seminar for Women's Health....

A simple google search turned up this info...you'll be in good hands if anyone gets sick, there will be lots of medical professionals aboard.

I wouldn't worry about it....honestly, if it's going to be a group of 'swingers' or the like,they'll charter the ship..

University at Sea has so many cruises set up..I've probably been on one.....

Honestly, not freaking one little bit. Yes, the cruise line has every right not to disclose the group or the amount of people in it but I have every right to cancel my cruise if I feel the group is too big. It has nothing to do with who they are, its more a concern that there will be areas of the ship that will be off limits to those who are not in the group.

I would want to know if there was a big group on my sailing as I have heard

they can have different venues at there disposal that someone like I might not be able to use since it is reserved for them.

So it might not matter to you but it would to me.

Exactly..

We took an Eastern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan and the Miami Dolphin Cheerleaders were on board for their calendar shoot. Not sure my wife was as pleased as I was but it was entertaining to say the least.

I have sailed on 2 cruises where I knew there were groups on the ship. [likely others when I was not aware] We discovered these groups on our roll call.

1. Autism at Sea--there were several hundred in the group [autistic kids, their families and organization staff] We were able to tell the staff because they wore bright shirts. We did not notice any venues closed.

2. A group of Maryland realtors. They had meetings in the conference room. We did not notice any other rooms being used.

A group like that will NOT be a problem! If you were sailing with a group of strippers or pimps or whatever...that might be a problem. I can guarantee that a larger "legit" group will not even know the other group members....it's a total non-issue.

You almost made me spit coffee all over my keyboard! rotf.gif

We took an Eastern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan and the Miami Dolphin Cheerleaders were on board for their calendar shoot. Not sure my wife was as pleased as I was but it was entertaining to say the least.

That's a group cruise I would have been pleased with! :cool:

Happy that some of you actually experienced large groups, thanks for the input. One of my concerns is the Dynamic Dining on the Quantum. Eighteen different options to choose from and we have to make reservations for each night. Im thinking that a large group might just get preferential treatment as far as getting the best times to dine. I have the same concerns regarding the shows as I believe they will require reservations too.

On my honeymoon at a hotel in Miami we arrived to find the HOOTERS convention! Complete with a scantily clad woman posing on a motorcycle in the main hallway as we walked in! I was not pleased to say the least! We didn't spend much time in the hotel that week and I accompanied hubby everywhere ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

on my honeymoon at a hotel in miami we arrived to find the hooters convention! Complete with a scantily clad woman posing on a motorcycle in the main hallway as we walked in! I was not pleased to say the least! we didn't spend much time in the hotel that week and i accompanied hubby everywhere ;)

sent from my iphone using forums

Party Pooper! :D

Edited by bigque

On my honeymoon at a hotel in Miami we arrived to find the HOOTERS convention! Complete with a scantily clad woman posing on a motorcycle in the main hallway as we walked in! I was not pleased to say the least! We didn't spend much time in the hotel that week and I accompanied hubby everywhere ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife was getting annoyed by the end because we kept running into them everywhere we went. We went walking thru town at one of the ports and we turn the corner and there they were doing Bikini poses on the street. We went to the Night Club to dance and there they were on the Dance Floor. We are out by the Pool and here they come again playing Pool Games and there were a few Wardrobe malfunctions. They also had a film crew that followed them wherever they went documenting everything for some TV show. Needless to say my wife was keeping tabs on me most of the time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app